4-6 GT: CWS @ SEA (9:10 PM CT)

Capn12

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

What do you make of all of the dropsies in the outfield - Eaton, Robert and Vaughn - at the start of the season?

What did Vaughn do tonight?

I noticed there are no errors in the box score...

I guess the Haniger and France balls last inning?

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Vaughn is bad (and i can't project that he'll get better - not fair to him) - but Madrigal can't possibly stay this bad and no reason he can't at least be league average.  No one else is bad and Robert is special out there.  By the way - Engel is one of the better defensive outfielders as well - so when you get him back - you have far better depth and better options for defensive replacements too.  

So yeah - the defense has been atrocious - but I see plenty of reasons it should improve.

Damn - thought Leury found the gap on that one.  

Eaton and Vaughn are both going to be awful. It's a lot to ask of robert. If madrigal stays who he's been, which is all we can go off of, 3/8 of the starters are flat out bad at defense. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Vaughn is bad (and i can't project that he'll get better - not fair to him) - but Madrigal can't possibly stay this bad and no reason he can't at least be league average.  No one else is bad and Robert is special out there.  By the way - Engel is one of the better defensive outfielders as well - so when you get him back - you have far better depth and better options for defensive replacements too.  

So yeah - the defense has been atrocious - but I see plenty of reasons it should improve.

Damn - thought Leury found the gap on that one.  

Nick Madrigal can absolutely stay this bad.

Andrew Vaughn will get better. I don’t know how soon. Might take a long time, he never played in the minors so we really don’t have context for this.

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Soft fly ball to left? You are drinking.

The ball had an exit velocity of 90 MPH and a launch angle of 30 degrees. Last year that was an out 92% of the time, a HR 3% of the time and a double 4% of the time. It's probably fair to say that's on out for the vast majority of LFers in baseball. 

The difference is the Padres have the equivalent of two Adam Eatons to replace every spot on their roster.

Whereas we have to play someone terribly out of position.

Obviously Engel and Garcia to a lesser extent can handle their outfield assignments, but neither are everyday players.