Notes on Jake Burger and Yoelqui Cespedes via Fangraphs

maxjusttyped

Jake Burger, 3B, Chicago White Sox

No statline to post here because Burger is playing in a fluid and unofficial week-long co-op league in Arizona, in which teams are combining to create rosters of their players who did not make the big league roster but also aren’t at the alternate site. Though he’s still a stiff, tightly-wound athlete, Burger looks as lean and agile as I’ve ever seen him and he made a couple nice plays in on the grass as part of the White Sox/Mariners co-op team. He got the barrel on some inside pitches and was strong enough to single the other way when he was jammed by another during my look. He doesn’t look like an everyday player or anything like that, but he might come out the other side of his horrible health luck as a role-playing corner bat.

Yoelqui Cespedes, DH, Chicago White Sox

It’s too early to draw any real conclusions about Cespedes, but my first in-game look at him didn’t give me any reason to move him north on the White Sox list. He looks like he’s having issues discerning balls and strikes and swung at the first four pitches he saw, resulting in a strikeout and groundout. He also half-swung at some pitches that were nowhere near the zone in his final at-bat, eventually resulting in a softly-hit single. Cespedes is also running in the 4.50s (a 30-grade time) right now.

He does have big league physicality and bat speed/power and you could argue that this guy deserves time to acclimate himself against pro pitching after not having seen it for a couple of years. But at 24, that’s part of why I consider him such a significant hit tool risk and a low-probability flier more than a top-of-the-class prospect.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-wednesday-scouting-notebook-4-7-2021/

4 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Sounds like more wasted money.

That said, if anyone watched Madrigal these past 7 games and wrote a scouting report...it would be so demoralizing he wouldn't have been been drafted in the first five rounds despite supposedly being the "most advanced bat" in his age group for most of his high school/collegiate career.

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Sounds like more wasted money.

That said, if anyone watched Madrigal these past 7 games and wrote a scouting report...it would be so demoralizing he wouldn't have been been drafted in the first five rounds despite supposedly being the "most advanced bat" in his age group for most of his high school/collegiate career.

Let's wait longer than one extended spring training?

Fangraphs has always been the publication down on Yoelqui, like they were with Luis "Lewis Brinson" Robert.

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

Let's wait longer than one extended spring training?

Fangraphs has always been the publication down on Yoelqui, like they were with Luis "Lewis Brinson" Robert.

That’s one annoying habit of publications...premature rushes to judgment after less than a week watching a player get less than 30-40 plate appearances.

Usually the select group here who follow college baseball closely take in 5-7 different starts from pitchers, plus the CWS from quite a few as well,

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1