Tony just did something I never saw Ricky do ever...

harkness99

In the post game he said he blew it.. the way he managed the bullpen cost them the game.

Of course he looked like a dying corpse as he was talking... but I'm not sure I ever heard Ricky do that.. ever.

So that was refreshing to me.. doesn't change the bad decision making.. but yeah.

• Haha 3

People forget he has been out for 10 years. He is gonna need a month to really know the gut on these relievers and lineups. I didnt like the signing, but he will figure it out. 3-4 on a brutal night schedule west coast trip for a bunch of rookies and new players was always a recipe for just meh results. Get some home cooking and some time together and this team is still making the playoffs. The hot take meltdowns are comical at this point

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

In the post game he said he blew it.. the way he managed the bullpen cost them the game.

Of course he looked like a dying corpse as he was talking... but I'm not sure I ever heard Ricky do that.. ever.

So that was refreshing to me.. doesn't change the bad decision making.. but yeah.

Ricky did admit he fucked up with the bullpen in the last week of last season. Specifically with Rodon in Cleveland. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

People forget he has been out for 10 years. He is gonna need a month to really know the gut on these relievers and lineups. I didnt like the signing, but he will figure it out. 3-4 on a brutal night schedule west coast trip for a bunch of rookies and new players was always a recipe for just meh results. Get some home cooking and some time together and this team is still making the playoffs. The hot take meltdowns are comical at this point

“Of course our guy is going to get out coached he’s not very good but maybe will become average with enough time!” Doesn’t really defend him all that well.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Ricky did admit he fucked up with the bullpen in the last week of last season. Specifically with Rodon in Cleveland. 

really? I honestly never remember him saying that.. he always explained his reasons but never said it was the wrong move.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chw42 said:

What was he supposed to do with Rodon stuck back on the active roster?

He had to figure out if Carlos was someone he could count on in the bullpen, yes?

It all might have worked out quite differently had Crochet been able to go longer in that game...but we'll never know, obviously.

I don't like how we lost the sense of urgency to crush the Twins and Indians, but it's becoming quite apparent that a managerial change didn't clear up all the issues.

Obviously, in LaRussa's defense, taking away 2 of the top 4/5 offensive performers in any line-up and going on a West Coast road trip isn't going to typically result in a 5-2 start, especially with the White Sox history out there.

It definitely FEELS like we are a .500ish ballclub as currently comprised.

But the real test begins against a surprisingly stout Royals' offense.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

really? I honestly never remember him saying that.. he always explained his reasons but never said it was the wrong move.

Unlike Rick Hahn, Rick Renteria took ownership for the mistake of using the reliever Hahn brought up in Cleveland,  (Rodon) when his staff was on fumes, and the Game Three game plan either jointly agreed to or imposed by Rick Hahn, because “GM of the Year” Rick Hahn couldn’t scrape up more than one single decent starting pitcher for a three game playoff series, after a “grueling” 60 game season.

One is still here, despite never hitting 79 wins in eight seasons, and one is gone, despite having the best season in decades in his lone opportunity with a team with even a remote chance to compete, the same manager Hahn extended 60 games ago and led them to their only .500 season in Hahn’s eight years of worst in MLB baseball, trying or tanking.

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Unlike Rick Hahn, Rick Renteria took ownership for the mistake of using the reliever Hahn brought up in Cleveland,  (Rodon) when his staff was on fumes, and the Game Three game plan either jointly agreed to or imposed by Rick Hahn, because “GM of the Year” Rick Hahn couldn’t scrape up more than one single decent starting pitcher for a three game playoff series, after a “grueling” 60 game season.

One is still here, despite never hitting 79 wins in eight seasons, and one is gone, despite having the best season in decades in his lone opportunity with a team with even a remote chance to compete, the same manager Hahn extended 60 games ago and led them to their only .500 season in Hahn’s eight years of worst in MLB baseball, trying or tanking.

Dunning, in retrospect, would have been the best choice over Cease.

But it could have worked until Crochet went out early with injury.  Then it was going to get overextended, just like today...with guys like Foster and Marshall (Anaheim.)

1 hour ago, harkness99 said:

Ageism is hilarious. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

He said something along the lines of "it's on me". I'd consider that taking responsibility.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, tray said:

Tony should have had Bummer warming up, but with the three batter minimum rule, that decision was delayed.

That was a mistake andI think Katz was partially responsible for it.

You can probably anticipate with the way Foster struggled in ANA, was giving up hits on his change-up (only one allowed last year), his fastball location wasn't consistent (up and down in the zone, usually he's down when he's most effective, with a bit of sinking action)...that walk after being ahead in the count and then not being able to put away the hitter SHOULD have been the kiss of death for his appearance.

No later than when it was 4-4, if not 4-3.

I really don't care of TLR takes responsibility for the loss.  Nor do I care if Madrigal would say his boneheadedness cost a game, Grandal would take responsibility for some bad pitch calls, Robert saying he should have caught the baseball that bounced off his coconut...

The list goes on and on after a pretty shitty road trip.  Everyone, with the possible exception of Mercedes, needs to step the fuck up and play better baseball and the manager needs to make better decisions.

Good news is that they're 3-4.  The way they played, they could have limped home at 1-6 or 2-5.

11 hours ago, macsandz said:

Ageism is hilarious. 

What's hilarious is people who deny the deterioration of one's mind and body as they get old, 70+ nearing 80. It's science but for some reason people want to act like it's discriminatory.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2596698/

It's also why electing a near 80 and beyond POTUS is flat out idiotic.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, macsandz said:

Ageism is hilarious. 

have you seen the press conferences? So I've I have an  80 year old driving a bus and he looks like he is falling asleep... thats probably ageism also.

newsflash... when you get to a certain age not every job is for you.

• Thanks 3

13 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

IF anyone really thought he was going to be amazing right off the bat you were fooling yourself. that is why AJ Hinch was the right move. But it's time to move on. I swear people forget the sox were 3-4 to start the MUCH shorter season last year as well. 

I don't think anyone thought he was going to be amazing right off the bat because most people hated the damn hire to begin with.  The sky isn't falling, the season isn't over but these type of games early when you're most likely going to be scratching and clawing for a playoff spot could absolutely come back to bite us and I'm not going to write it off to "meh he'll get better."  

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What's hilarious is people who deny the deterioration of one's mind and body as they get old, 70+ nearing 80. It's science but for some reason people want to act like it's discriminatory.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2596698/

It's also why electing a near 80 and beyond POTUS is flat out idiotic.

Uggggggh...why bring politics into a baseball discussion?

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I never saw Ricky lift his starter with a 4-1 lead and not take out the reliever until the inning was over and the team was trailing 8-4.

It was pretty baffling that no one was warming up to start the inning with Keuchel sitting around 90 pitches and no one warming up and ready after the first couple batters when Foster was in.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Uggggggh...why bring politics into a baseball discussion?

It's not political at all; couldn't care less what party someone is a member of. Just saying in general we tend to put people in important positions of power when they're well past their cognitive peak. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's not political at all; couldn't care less what party someone is a member of. Just saying in general we tend to put people in important positions of power when they're well past their cognitive peak. 

Otoh, how many countries consistently have leaders in their 30’s or 40’s?

Good Judgment is a result of experience, and experience the result of bad judgment.

3 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

It was pretty baffling that no one was warming up to start the inning with Keuchel sitting around 90 pitches and no one warming up and ready after the first couple batters when Foster was in.

That's the thing I don't get. He was going to use Bummer and Hendriks no matter what. At some point, he had to realize Foster wasn't working that outing.