Royals vs Sox 5:20pm Home Opener GT

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, sure...there’s already x amount of risk or volatility associated with the Jimenez, Moncada and Robert deals.

In the overall scheme of things, non elite (meaning Top 3-5 in the game) 1B with average defensive skills don’t rate high on the priority scale.

Good thing they didn't listen to you and they extended Abreu

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Can he be used as a defensive replacement ? Has he seen any time at 1st base yet ? Can he pinch run ? Does he have defensive versatility ? Has he out hit Mercedes or Collins. Has he played any minor league baseball against higher than A ?

Is he on the major league roster?  ?  Have the Sox treated any other top prospect in the manner?  Was he expected to be an OF defense contributor or provide have defensive versatility prior to the season starting? Is Mercedes the next coming of Hank Aaron?  See, I can play that game too.  

You may be right that they send Vaughn down.  Honestly, if they're not going to play him everyday, I think they should do just that.  But I don't think we have anywhere near enough evidence to indicate that is their plan.  It would be very "un-White Sox". 

Edited by ChiSox59

12 minutes ago, TheChrisSamsa said:

Another home opener where the White Sox get the fans into the stadium just to wait. I guess there might be a window to play, but it’s probably not until 5:30. Yikes. 

Its hilarious how every opening day they seem to just spit on the fans

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is he on the major league roster?  ?  Have the Sox treated any other top prospect in the manner?  Was he expected to be an OF defense contributor or provide have defensive versatility prior to the season starting? Is Mercedes the next coming of Hank Aaron?  See, I can play that game too.  

You may be right that they send Vaughn down.  Honestly, if they're not going to play him everyday, I think they should do just that.  But I don't think we have anywhere near enough evidence to indicate that is their plan.  It would be very "un-White Sox". 

It's not a game. I'm just thinking of ways he can contribute once Engel is back. The questions you asked have nothing to do with that. The Mercedes question perhaps has a little to do with it but until Mercedes or Collins cools off  we are likely to see them. Even Hamilton has more chances to play once Engel returns because of the things I asked unless he is the one to go once Engel does return .

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's not a game. I'm just thinking of ways he can contribute once Engel is back. The questions you asked have nothing to do with that. The Mercedes question perhaps has a little to do with it but until Mercedes or Collins cools off  we are likely to see them. Even Hamilton has more chances to play once Engel returns because of the things I asked unless he is the one to go once Engel does return .

Right, but a lot of the questions you asked were questions we knew the answer to prior to opening day.  Yet he still made the roster.  Obviously Mercedes having a monster start makes DH at bats a little harder to come by, but the Sox shouldn't be sacrificing their top prospect for Yermin.  If Vaughn isn't going to play everyday, he shouldn't be on the big league roster.  I think we agree on that - but I'd be pretty surprised to see Vaughn get demoted.  Billy Hamilton, Nick Williams and to a lesser extent Adam Engel are not good reasons to sit Vaughn on the bench.  

52 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Good thing they didn't listen to you and they extended Abreu

Yes, I clearly remember everyone clamoring for a three year extension, lol.

The primary reason he was being kept to most was for influencing Moncada/Robert and sustaining the so-called Cuban Connection, not because he was expected to put up MVP numbers.

If Hahn is so great at these projections, he should have signed Nelson Cruz or traded for JD Martinez. 

Heck, why not fault him for seemingly not realizing Yermin was on the 40 man roster for how many years now?

Why didn’t he trade for Jonathan Gray...for example.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yes, I clearly remember everyone clamoring for a three year extension, lol.

The primary reason he was being kept to most was for influencing Moncada/Robert and sustaining the so-called Cuban Connection, not because he was expected to put up MVP numbers.

If Hahn is so great at these projections, he should have signed Nelson Cruz or traded for JD Martinez. 

Heck, why not fault him for seemingly not realizing Yermin was on the 40 man roster for how many years now?

Why didn’t he trade for Jonathan Gray...for example.

I'm not defending Hahn by any means, but your comment about having a top 3-5 1B being low priority was odd

Just now, soxfan49 said:

I'm not defending Hahn by any means, but your comment about having a top 3-5 1B being low priority was odd

It was about our not being sure that Vaughn was going to be THAT generational (Pujols-esque) hitter at first base good.

Not Abreu.

Otherwise, Vaughn extension isn’t the biggest issue in the world.

• Kalapse changed the title to Royals vs Sox 5:20pm Home Opener GT
  • Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic