Royals vs Sox 5:20pm Home Opener GT

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

No, I said giving extensions to young 1B who don’t project to be top 3-5 (let’s try 2019 Pete Alonso instead) 1B in the majors offensively and are average to below average defenders shouldn’t be prioritized in early extensions.

Now if he’s something like 8-12, then you’re going to have interesting arguments both ways.

Mariners already getting criticized with their deal for 1B White, who might be 18-22ish if he’s lucky.

My point is a lot of people *do* project Vaughn to be a top 5 first baseman

Just now, SCCWS said:

LaRussa also said he wants to get everyone in a game this week. After breaking camp with a few days off, it makes sense everyone gets into a game especially w it being a legit spot.   Role players like Vaughn and Collins need to produce so it is hard to get them out of the lineup, regardless of who the opposing pitcher is.

No, fuck that. Nick Williams can knock of the rust in the cage, you don't automatically get a start because you're new. It should matter if the player is any good or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

What the hell is with the "legitimate spot" comment? Also, the Sox don't play tomorrow. Damn this guy is a mess

The "legitimate spot" comes into play because your main guy is hurt, the backup to that guy is hurt, and the backup to the backup is hurt 😆 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah, funny how the walking beer can hates shifting but is already playing matchups because of Brad Keller. Nick Williams is definitely a legitimate start today because even though he's complete garbage Keller had a rough 1st start vs LHH's. They're playing a horrific player today because of which side of the plate he stands on. 

Good call

All I said was it's a legitimate spot for 1 game. Your anger at LaRussa and reference to his drinking  just shows a prejudice against him . Nick Williams has done more  MLB against LHP than Vaughn has and has played more LF.  Not one person has said Vaughn can't hit RHP but as of now he hasn't . It's equally preposterous to expect  Vaughn to be able to hit any MLB pitching with such little experience.  Collins , Vaughn, Williams have all paid their dues. Why is it so bad for Vaughn to do the same ? So sue me if for 1 game I think Williams is a better choice than Vaughn and the manager agrees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

The "legitimate spot" comes into play because your main guy is hurt, the backup to that guy is hurt, and the backup to the backup is hurt 😆 

Yep so if Williams is our 7th best OF (according to Soxfan49) ELOY, Robert, Eaton, Engel, ,  Hamilton Vaughn and Williams. 3 are hurt and 2 are playing the other OF positions that leaves Vaughn and Williams . Since the Sox are winless against RHP so far it's possible we could use another LHB . No wins against RHP and injuries kind of force a managers hand.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Kalapse changed the title to Royals vs Sox 5:20pm Home Opener GT
1 minute ago, Kalapse said:

Then he shouldn't be on the roster.

Vaughn  was on the roster because the Sox needed to try to replace some of Eloys power and hitting. If Mercedes keeps hitting and Vaughn struggles, or if Engel hits when he returns, then we may see Vaughn gawn until September.

1 minute ago, tray said:

Vaughn  was on the roster because the Sox needed to try to replace some of Eloys power and hitting. If Mercedes keeps hitting and Vaughn struggles, or if Engel hits when he returns, then we may see Vaughn gawn until September.

Vaughn was on the roster either way. It was Mercedes who got the opportunity due to Eloy

20 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

No, the annointed back up is Andrew Vaughn and Andrew Vaughn is healthy

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

No, the annointed back up is Andrew Vaughn and Andrew Vaughn is healthy

I was making fun of the fact that he really hasn't "legitimately" earned it. It's due to 3 other guys being on the IL, Leury dtd basically, and then a 1B they don't want to play out there.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

All I said was it's a legitimate spot for 1 game. Your anger at LaRussa and reference to his drinking  just shows a prejudice against him . Nick Williams has done more  MLB against LHP than Vaughn has and has played more LF.  Not one person has said Vaughn can't hit RHP but as of now he hasn't . It's equally preposterous to expect  Vaughn to be able to hit any MLB pitching with such little experience.  Collins , Vaughn, Williams have all paid their dues. Why is it so bad for Vaughn to do the same ? So sue me if for 1 game I think Williams is a better choice than Vaughn and the manager agrees.

He hasn't in... what... 2 starts? 3 starts?

Awesome argument

• Thanks 1

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic