That's a Home Opener Winner

wegner

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

I was one of those that were really negative yesterday. Today, is a different story. Good job Lance Lynn for coming through when we needed it. The bullpen definitely needed the rest. 

Nice of you to admit it. Take a deep breath. Team is 500 after 8 games... long way to go with some great guys in TA, and Engel returning soon... Others waking up big time in YoYo and Luis... it's gonna be fun. 

Edited by DoUEvenShift
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Man I just tried to tune into AM1000 and 670 and both are just streaming generic nationwide shows talking NFL salary cap?  Oof.  There HAS to be a market for more Chicago baseball talk on air.

Soxtalk radio would be tremendous...who wants to do morning drive?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

Soxtalk radio would be tremendous...who wants to do morning drive?

In between games I listen to White Sox segments on the Score podcasts, and also general baseball talk, select Cubs segments and Spiegel’s Sunday Show.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

I heard it live on the radio on the way home...Len and DJ sounded good together.

They’ve been great all season.

The only issue is that for three West Coast Night games so far, we’ve lost the game feed for at least 5-10 minutes to some garbage ESPN National show, before the station returned back to the game. NFL draft, off-roading one point, skateboarding. Likely too cheap to have a late night station engineer, Sox broadcast the only live employee there.
Typical ESPN trash. I hadn’t listened to that station for 15 years since the Sox left.

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

In between games I listen to White Sox segments on the Score podcasts, and also general baseball talk, select Cubs segments and Spiegel’s Sunday Show.

They’ve been great all season.

The only issue is that for three West Coast Night games so far, we’ve lost the game feed for at least 5-10 minutes to some garbage ESPN National show, before the station returned back to the game. NFL draft, off-roading one point, skateboarding. Likely too cheap to have a late night station engineer, Sox broadcast the only live employee there.
Typical ESPN trash. I hadn’t listened to that station for 15 years since the Sox left.

670 has gotten so bad that I've been forced over to 1000. They never take calls on 670 now a days. Bernstein isn't as good as he used to be. Holmes is awful. Spiegel I actually like. Kap and Hood is better than anything on 670 now a days. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

The roar after Yermins homer was 😍

I was sitting in front of some of his family. It was awesome to hear how excited they were. Despite the low attendance, the atmosphere (especially in the 1st inning) rivaled the buzz I haven't felt since Kopech's debut in 2018

• Like 5

It was so refreshing to see a starter take the mound with such confidence.  He looked in complete control, was locating everything, and mixed his pitches well.  Hell of a way to introduce himself to Sox fans.

It was nice to see Yoan hit a home run, and his other at-bats looked good, too.  His driving the ball to the opposite field is encouraging.

Yermin's HR was a thing of beauty.  The little bat flip was a nice touch, considering he hit the HR off Keller.

And I'll go ahead and say it - I like Mendick.  I think if he was on a team where he could play everyday he could a decent player.  I wouldn't think that .260 BA, 12-15 HRs, 50 RBIs, and good defense would be unreasonable.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This team makes cool history a lot for how shit they've been the last decade.  We got that going for us.

For the last season and a half, the team has done some truly exciting things. It makes you think they can make some real history. But there are still question marks. Regardless, the club can be just plain fun at times. We missed that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

And I'll go ahead and say it - I like Mendick.  I think if he was on a team where he could play everyday he could a decent player.  I wouldn't think that .260 BA, 12-15 HRs, 50 RBIs, and good defense would be unreasonable.

Mendick surely is a better fielder and has good power. This will force Madrigal to get even more hits or he will lose his role to mendick when TA gets back. I love that all the reserves that matter are forcing an issue of playing time...except vaughn. He better start getting LF every game, Williams isnt the answer.

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

Mendick surely is a better fielder and has good power. This will force Madrigal to get even more hits or he will lose his role to mendick when TA gets back. I love that all the reserves that matter are forcing an issue of playing time...except vaughn. He better start getting LF every game, Williams isnt the answer.

As far as position player depth has gone Yermin , Collins, Mendick, Hamilton have done well while Leury and Vaughn have not but the OBP for Vaughn has been fine. Lamb and Williams got a few AB's each.

The good has far outweighed the bad so far but the Sox still need Engel and Anderson back asap. Kind of strange we haven't heard any updates on Engel at all. He has to be back soon wouldn't  you think ? March 21st he was injured and we heard a few weeks but then on 4/1 the Sox put him on the 10 day IL so that means April 10 or 11th depending if the 10 days started April 1 or the day after. Could be he's activated for tomorrows game .

14 hours ago, flavum said:

1-0: Kopech, Rodon, Giolito, Lynn

0-1: Bummer, Marshall, Ruiz, Foster

Cease may have to wait until Sunday to join the 1-0 group. Saturday afternoon is looking rainy. Probably would make it up mid-May.

Saturday afternoon looks like a washout. I’m sure they’ll call it early tomorrow morning- or they should. Sunday morning will still have rain, but should improve enough to play later on. 

2 hours ago, flavum said:

Saturday afternoon looks like a washout. I’m sure they’ll call it early tomorrow morning- or they should. Sunday morning will still have rain, but should improve enough to play later on. 

I understand there are logistical challenges with TV deals and tickets (now that fans are back again), but I really wish the MLB could be more proactive in cases like this and, for example, preemptively move Saturday's game to today. 

8 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Fun is winning and winning is fun 

It's pronounced fung.

Man, that was fun(g). My brain is in such Sox mode right now that I must have dreamt that Abreu hit another grand slam (I know he had an opportunity) so when I woke up I could have sworn it actually happened. Had to watch the highlights to confirm that he did not. Granted, I was also blasted drunk.

Some dude kept playing the jukebox last night at the bar so we didn't have the sound on for the game which was annoying. The worst part is he had good taste in music so I'm sitting there bobbing my head but also pissed I can't hear the game.

I just watched the Yermin home run replay to hear the crowd...legitimately brought a tear to my eye to hear the roar of the crowd again. Can't wait until the stadium is full.

It's kind of sick how much I love baseball.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Whoa man...that's going waaayyy back.  I'm trying to remember who hosted that.  Wasn't that Alex kid one of the hosts?

I’m not sure, but that sounds familiar. Why does something like Mario Scalise sound familiar?

On 4/9/2021 at 6:58 AM, EloyJenkins said:

But Engel might be and he should be back very soon.

On 4/9/2021 at 9:58 PM, EloyJenkins said:

Mendick is not perceived within the organization as much more than a supersub.  Just like Engel and Leury, they have their runs where they look like they could even be starters, but the White Sox aren’t going to bench a high first round draft pick for him.

I suppose you could argue they’re benching Vaughn for Yermin as well, but that’s an entirely out of this world run he has been on.