The Yermin-Vaughn-Abreu Conundrum

ron883

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Need to sigh Mercedes to an Eaton-like extension.  There will be a buying frenzy if NL approves the DH.  I would like to find a way to keep him...but for sure don't want to end up empty-handed.

We have control of Yermin for five more years, there is absolutely zero reason to extent him at his age.

I would rather send vaughn down to AAA until halfway through next year. Next season is Abreus last right? Just have vaughn be his replacement.

Anderson

Robert

Moncada

Mercedes

Eloy (LF)

Grandal/Collins

Vaughn (1B)

FA RF (switch this spot with Grandal/Collins if its a worthy hitter)

Madrigal

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

172 days on the big league club earns a year of service time.  He can go to AAA or the taxi squad and that pauses, but he would need to stay down for the equivalent time he's been up to gain another year of control.

It simpler terms, if Vaughn spends 15-20 days at any point in the season in AAA or the alt site, he will not accrue enough service time to be a FA after 6 seasons.

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Need to sigh Mercedes to an Eaton-like extension.  There will be a buying frenzy if NL approves the DH.  I would like to find a way to keep him...but for sure don't want to end up empty-handed.

Come up empty? The Sox own his rights thru 2026. Absolutely zero reason to extend him. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

It simpler terms, if Vaughn spends 15-20 days at any point in the season in AAA or the alt site, he will not accrue enough service time to be a FA after 6 seasons.

Come up empty? The Sox own his rights thru 2026. Absolutely zero reason to extend him. 

Right. He will be 34 at that point. No reason for extension at all.

35 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The answer is fairly obvious. If Yermin keeps hitting, cash in on him as a trade chip. Make a "baseball trade" 

I'm sure that some other AL team needs a DH and quite frankly if Eloy returns to his previous form he's better and younger. 

Do you think it's possible Yermin is a better hitter than Eloy or Vaughn? You don't trade that. 

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Do you think it's possible Yermin is a better hitter than Eloy or Vaughn? You don't trade that. 

I don’t have the answer to your question but it’s certainly possible. Yermin has the 3rd highest wRC+ in baseball so far this season. Here’s the rest of the top 5 - Trout, Acuna, JDM, and Vlad Jr. Pretty good company.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

In all seriousness, if you want to max out the offense’s production you catch Yermin with Vaughn in LF and Eloy at DH. Honestly, I’m not sure Yermin would be much worse defensively at catcher than what we’ve seen from Grandal so far this season.

1. TA          
2. Robert    
3. Abreu     
4. Eloy   
5. Yermin
6. Moncada   
7. Vaughn   
8. Eaton   
9. Madrigal

I dare you to find a better lineup in MLB than that. That’s peak 90’s Indians shit right there.

That would be insanely bad Defensively though. Catcher is one of the hardest positions in baseball and nobody in the Industry sees yermin really as a catcher. 

Vaughn has done a great job in left but really he is objectively too slow, madrigal has struggled and Jose isn't a great defender either. If you add yermin behind the plate to that you are really stretching it Defensively and hurting the pitchers. 

Not against using yermin as an emergency catcher once a month but really not more. 

• Haha 1

Vaughn's best angle for playing time this year is part of a four OFer rotation with Robert, Eaton and Engle. Not sure if the White Sox are going to slot Eloy back into LF, but his defense and health risks are more of a determinant than the "conundrum" players mentioned.

Vaughn is a much better LFer with no experience, and can also be a solid 1B. Would love to see him get 1-2 months in AAA as an EVERYDAY LFer before being called up this Summer. Hahn needs to tell Tony he needs to play regularly, especially over waiver wire bait like Hamilton and Lamb, once he returns.

I believe the Sox will resign Abreu for 1-2 years after his current deal, and as long as he is producing and wants to play, like Konerko he should not be denied until it is clear his days are at an end.

That leaves Eloy vs. Yermin (beyond possible backup catcher duties). Eloy's age and potential gives him the advantage, but that doesn't mean the White Sox can't keep a solid player like Yermin around over the next few years. It's always good to have options.

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Vaughn's best angle for playing time this year is part of a four OFer rotation with Robert, Eaton and Engle. Not sure if the White Sox are going to slot Eloy back into LF, but his defense and health risks are more of a determinant than the "conundrum" players mentioned.

Vaughn is a much better LFer with no experience, and can also be a solid 1B. Would love to see him get 1-2 months in AAA as an EVERYDAY LFer before being called up this Summer. Hahn needs to tell Tony he needs to play regularly, especially over waiver wire bait like Hamilton and Lamb, once he returns.

I believe the Sox will resign Abreu for 1-2 years after his current deal, and as long as he is producing and wants to play, like Konerko he should not be denied until it is clear his days are at an end.

That leaves Eloy vs. Yermin (beyond possible backup catcher duties). Eloy's age and potential gives him the advantage, but that doesn't mean the White Sox can't keep a solid player like Yermin around over the next few years. It's always good to have options.

He isn't exactly producing right now.

On 4/8/2021 at 11:49 PM, beautox said:

image.png

In terms of value it works out. D-backs aren't going anywhere any time soon in that division.

There's absolutely no way it makes sense for the diamondbacks. The D-backs should probably trade Marte at some point to maximize their rebuild, but it won't be for an OFr like Eloy. They have 3 elite OF prospects coming up. The NL will likely get a DH, but I highly doubt they'd trade their key piece for a DH.

3 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

There's absolutely no way it makes sense for the diamondbacks. The D-backs should probably trade Marte at some point to maximize their rebuild, but it won't be for an OFr like Eloy. They have 3 elite OF prospects coming up. The NL will likely get a DH, but I highly doubt they'd trade their key piece for a DH.

Also the Dbacks are not going to pay his contract, they don't have an owner who wants to spend

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2021 at 9:37 PM, ron883 said:

Sooo, it appears that Yermin is legitimate. "But Ron, it's too early to declare Yermin legitimate." Wrong. I've been on the Yermin bandwagon as long as anybody. I was one of the first to identify his talents. He is here to stay. He has a great approach, he shortens his swing with 2 strikes but still crushes the ball, and he has a fast bat. The dude is going to stay. 

When Eloy comes back, there will be a bit if a logjam. Assuming Eloy is back next year, what do the Sox do? Abreu will be under contract for another year, and likely will get resigned. Do the Sox use Vaughn as a trade chip? They could attempt to trot out Eloy-Robert-Vaughn in the OF. The lineup would be absolutely ridiculous, but the defense would suffer. Imagine this lineup though...

Timmy

Moncada

Abreu

Eloy

Vaughn

Yermin

Grandal/Collins

Robert

Madrigal

Obviously you can change it around. Very right handed heavy, but lefties would get absolutely demolished. Maybe the Sox flip Vaughn I'm a trade for a lefty OF or pitcher? Who knows. Ideas?

I think it would be a mistake to think short term. Eaton will probably be here another year but after that RF might be Vaughn’s new spot 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I think it would be a mistake to think short term. Eaton will probably be here another year but after that RF might be Vaughn’s new spot 

So what do they do next year if Eaton returns? Trade Vaughn or send him down?

21 hours ago, ron883 said:

So what do they do next year if Eaton returns? Trade Vaughn or send him down?

I don’t think Vaughn’s going anywhere. He is still being groomed to take over at 1B and in the meantime can DH, play the OF and fill in for Abreu.  Players like Hamilton and Leury will go before Vaughn,  who is still learning 

Edited by elrockinMT

On 4/24/2021 at 1:41 PM, ron883 said:

He isn't exactly producing right now.

That was a nice blast he cannonized in the first inning yesterday. That helped Sox win a game. Obviously as he ages his stats will drop some. He's still a potential terror the rest of this season. He turned on that pitch for the HR. ... Folks, Manny Machado has 3 HRS, 10 RBIs. Jose? Even at .225 he has 17 RBI and 5 HRs.

Edited by greg775