The Yermin-Vaughn-Abreu Conundrum

ron883

1 hour ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Vaughn is the future!!! Mercedes needs a few days off to recharge. He could come back. He had a great eye 2 weeks ago but now he’s swinging at everything. Vaughn has proven that his defense is above average. Right now he’s already defensively better than Eloy. Eloy will be a great DH IF HE CAN MENTALLY ADJUST. Everyone wants to play the field. Vaughn’s catch today shows what a great athlete he is. Is he the 1st baseman of the future or right or left fielder of the future. It’s obvious he can play either spot. Once he learns the pitchers he’s the next Abreu. If they continue to use Yermin, if he wakes up when Eloy comes back, I’m very comfortable with Vaughn in Right Field. He has a very adequate arm. Great instincts. Eloy is great and believe he has a great future. The farm system has Burger, Sheets and others. Deep, Deep, Deep. What a problem to have when Jimenez and Robert come back. Burger and Sheets could be the next Vaughn, and the pitching waiting in the wings!! They could start a second rebuild if necessary and not miss a beat. Question is in August/September who goes?? Lamb? Eaton? Hamilton? Let’s not forget Engel will be in he mix. I don’t envy making these decisions. Same with pitching. Frye will be here soon, Burr looks great, Kopech will return. This is a very DEEP ORGANIZATION. We’ll be fine and we will steam roll over the division when we are at Full Strength  we should have one today  Cease didn’t lose  the defense lost  

It's true the wild card shifting Eloy to DH is his ability to hit in the role, a role which is difficult even for veterans to adjust.

I'd disagree with the assessments on Burger and Sheets. I'm not saying they can't be valuable players, just saying at age 25 they are not the same type of prospects as Vaughn, who was promoted at least 2 years earlier (Age 23). Along with Yermin (28 in August), Burger and Sheet's their windows of production are much shorter than elite prospects who can perform above average in their early 20s. Cespedes (23) and Colas (22) are also higher rated, since they are also expected to be productive major leaguers before age 25, the same age all three were lingering in the minors.