Blown games

reiks12

3 hours ago, reiks12 said:

4 games so far this season. 4. We have played 9 games and we have given leads away late in 4 of them.

This is incredibly frustrating and isnt what you would expect from a team that should be competing. Lackluster performances all around.

The Twins have lost 4 games in either the 9th or extra innings.

And two at home to a very bad Mariners' team.

So, in that sense, we're quite lucky they're not out to a 7-2 start, either.

The division is really bunched up and we've played about as badly as possibly, bullpen, hitting with RISP, defense....everything but lots more walks and higher OBP.

But that doesn't matter if you can't drive those runs in successfully.

And we lost our 17 consecutive game losing streak against LHP.  Maybe that means we'll finally be successful against Indians' RHPers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

It's been pretty frustrating not being able to nail down those wins, definitely concerned, but not yet to the point of panic this early. 

There is no panic yet, but they need to start proving they can handle tight ballgames soon. 

In yesterday's game for sure, as well as a few others, it shouldn't have been so close at the end of the game.  They blew so many chances to score runs earlier in the game.  They should have went into the 9th up by 4 or 5 runs.

That's not excusing the bullpen for blowing it, but this team as a whole has been very underwhelming.

Need TA to return to provide some swagger. Current lineup lacks chemistry. More or less a collection of interesting players w/o an identity. Its also time for Moncada to start performing at the plate. Since his breakout in 2019, while improved at 3B, he is currently an easy out at the plate, especially from the right side. This guy was scheduled to be among the premier players in MLB and he's looking more like a liability.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No panic at this, but this team has not played good baseball at all.  Offense is anemic right now.  Getting TA back helps, and hopefully Moncada snaps out of it.  Not to get all Parkman, but this just isn't the same team without Eloy in the middle of the lineup.  

• Like 1

Any closer can blow a save, but Hendriks really labored in that ninth. Almost 30 pitches to get three outs. Went deep into counts and had a hard time putting guys away. Wasn't very good.

This is still too small a sample. But as time goes on, we will see if this a contending year or another developmental year. The team isn't real deep, and so it can't afford any more  serious injuries. Needs to turn things around soon. I don't think this team will rebound from a real bad start. And ChiSox59 is right. The loss of Eloy is huge.

7 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Any closer can blow a save, but Hendriks really labored in that ninth. Almost 30 pitches to get three outs. Went deep into counts and had a hard time putting guys away. Wasn't very good.

This is still too small a sample. But as time goes on, we will see if this a contending year or another developmental year. The team isn't real deep, and so it can't afford any more  serious injuries. Needs to turn things around soon. I don't think this team will rebound from a real bad start. And ChiSox59 is right. The loss of Eloy is huge.

Hell no. 2021 is not another "developmental" year. This is year 5 of the rebuild. The rebuildniks and Sox Front Office do not get to kick the can down the road another year. Go look at where the Cubs were at year 5 of their rebuild. It is put up or shut up time on the South Side. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I heard on the Sox Machine Podcast that the Yankees are having the same issue with not scoring men on base. And they're supposed to be the powerhouse of the league.

That gives me hope. I think right now the hope is that the OBP with the Sox stays where it is, and eventually the bats will get hot and start driving in those men on base. Hopefully they continue to be patient and that it pays off sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

Hell no. 2021 is not another "developmental" year. This is year 5 of the rebuild. The rebuildniks and Sox Front Office do not get to kick the can down the road another year. Go look at where the Cubs were at year 5 of their rebuild. It is put up or shut up time on the South Side. 

Let us hope it is not a "developmental" year. But if certain things don't pan out, it will be just that. But you are right in one aspect: Rebuilding can no longer be used as an excuse. We need to see results.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWINFan said:

A worry with Hendriks was always that is huge useage over the last couple of years would lead to him blowing up on us, especially since he only became elite in 2019 when his 4-Seam went from 94 to 96. 

Thankfully his pitches so far in 2021 all have the same velo and spin rates as they have had the last two years, so I think this is just a garden variety pitching slump, not the first signs of a major regression. I believe he'll be much better going forward. 

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

No panic at this, but this team has not played good baseball at all.  Offense is anemic right now.  Getting TA back helps, and hopefully Moncada snaps out of it.  Not to get all Parkman, but this just isn't the same team without Eloy in the middle of the lineup.  

Two problems. One is that Eloy replaces our most productive bat in Yermin. So that is most likely a wash. Two is we need to start playing well today. We don't have time to give it a few more weeks because that is when our schedule gets tough. We need to stack wins now and hold our own during the tougher series. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Two problems. One is that Eloy replaces our most productive bat in Yermin. So that is most likely a wash. Two is we need to start playing well today. We don't have time to give it a few more weeks because that is when our schedule gets tough. We need to stack wins now and hold our own during the tougher series. 

2 I agree with.  To call Yermin and Eloy a wash is silly, IMO.  Yes, Yermin has been very good.  Way better than anyone could imagine.   But over the course of the season he is not going to match Eloy's production.  Eloy is a 40-50 HR hitter if he plays 150+.  Also, if Eloy isn't hurt, we aren't trotting AAAA players out in LF.  Vaughn is playing DH and Eloy is in LF and the lineup is way way way way better than any combo that includes Garcia, Hamilton or Williams in LF.  But its spilled milk - Eloy is hurt and best case scenario is out til August.  This lineup isn't the same without him - period.  I don't care what Yermin does - he doesn't fill that gap and the whole lineup suffers because of it.  

Edited by ChiSox59

40 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

2 I agree with.  To call Yermin and Eloy a wash is silly, IMO.  Yes, Yermin has been very good.  Way better than anyone could imagine.   But over the course of the season he is not going to match Eloy's production.  Eloy is a 40-50 HR hitter if he plays 150+.  Also, if Eloy isn't hurt, we aren't trotting AAAA players out in LF.  Vaughn is playing DH and Eloy is in LF and the lineup is way way way way better than any combo that includes Garcia, Hamilton or Williams in LF.  But its spilled milk - Eloy is hurt and best case scenario is out til August.  This lineup isn't the same without him - period.  I don't care what Yermin does - he doesn't fill that gap and the whole lineup suffers because of it.  

I mean for the first 8 games we've gotten Eloy production from Yermin and are still struggling. So Eloy's bat will always be missed but other guys aren't pulling their weight. True over the course of the season Eloy gives you big OPS numbers, but the way we should have made up for it was to put Vaughn in left and bring in another bat that can hit. Collins and Yermin may be okay but we can't keep taking risks as the season progresses. 

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I heard on the Sox Machine Podcast that the Yankees are having the same issue with not scoring men on base. And they're supposed to be the powerhouse of the league.

That gives me hope. I think right now the hope is that the OBP with the Sox stays where it is, and eventually the bats will get hot and start driving in those men on base. Hopefully they continue to be patient and that it pays off sooner rather than later.

The OBP will not stay where it is just as the hitting shouldn't stay where it is. The team is 1st in the AL in OBP . Some other teams are not slugging well either . As you mentioned the Yankees, the A's are abysmal, Toronto, Cardinals, Brewers , Mets and Cubs are all below the Sox.

The Sox are 28th in MLB in number of men left on base per game. That's not necessarily a bad thing because the Dodgers are 29th but unlike the Dodgers the Sox don't have as many productive hitters driving them in since the Dodgers are 4th in slugging and the Sox 15th.

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The OBP will not stay where it is just as the hitting shouldn't stay where it is. The team is 1st in the AL in OBP . Some other teams are not slugging well either . As you mentioned the Yankees, the A's are abysmal, Toronto, Cardinals, Brewers , Mets and Cubs are all below the Sox.

The Sox are 28th in MLB in number of men left on base per game. That's not necessarily a bad thing because the Dodgers are 29th but unlike the Dodgers the Sox don't have as many productive hitters driving them in since the Dodgers are 4th in slugging and the Sox 15th.

Wow.  Would not have guess sox are 1st in AL in OBP.  

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

1. Sox  .354

2. Astros .345

3. Twins .341

Walks per game AL:

1. Sox 5.56

2. Yankees 4.22

3. Cleveland 4.12

Interesting.

To me, there are three things plaguing this team:

1.  Hitting with RISP

2. Bullpen

3. Defense

I expect all of these to improve. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I don't think these will all be season-long trends.

2 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Interesting.

To me, there are three things plaguing this team:

1.  Hitting with RISP

2. Bullpen

3. Defense

I expect all of these to improve. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I don't think these will all be season-long trends.

The team ISO is 18th in MLB  (.148 )and  last in the division  so worse than KC,Detroit and Cleveland but the Yankees and A's have been a lot worse.

Sox are 23rd in % of hits for extra bases .

Errors per game the Sox average 1 which is the worst in baseball and they are also near the bottom in turning double plays. Too many extra outs are being given by the defense.

4.99 Bullpen ERA but it's really the late inning guys , our expected best guys not getting the job done. Kopech and Crochet have been great keeping it close through the middle innings. But outside of them when Ruiz is the only other one being good it get's tough.