We Thought We Have A Good Bullpen?

Soxsi75

From a bullpen standpoint, the good news is Kopech & Crochet have been pretty dominating. They have been mostly pitching in 6-7th but they may need to move back some . Today w Hendriks failure, Crochet did get the late call. But one of them may fill in as be a closer for a while until Hendriks rights the ship.   

45 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It's not because of injuries. It is because Moncada, Leury, and Vaughn aren't slugging like we need them to. Anderson and Eloy are out and Yermin has replaced Eloy's bat. So that leaves Anderson's bat as the one missing. 

You can’t expect Garcia to hit for power. He’s more of a singles, doubles, triples player. Vaughn is still learning how to hit big league pitching. Expecting him to hit for power right off the bat is asking a lot from someone who hasn’t seen a lot of big league pitching. Give him time.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 hour ago, ShoeLessRob said:

They blew this game by scoring 1 run off of Minor. This vaunted offense against lefties. 

This forum loves blaming everyone but the people who actually blew the game and the lead. The Bullpen was given leads and makes a ton of money/% of their payroll and they didn't do their job. The point of having a great bullpen is to cover for a shortcoming or a poor offensive day. The bullpen has been a disaster.

• Like 2

It's not just the bullpen.....its the pitching staff overall (outside of Lynn's complete game).  We are falling behind way too many batters which is giving them the advantage and leading to high pitch counts (along with absurdly long games).   I think we are seeing it was a mistake to replace Cooper and I expect to see Dave Duncan brought in at some point to help fix this problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

It's not because of injuries. It is because Moncada, Leury, and Vaughn aren't slugging like we need them to. Anderson and Eloy are out and Yermin has replaced Eloy's bat. So that leaves Anderson's bat as the one missing. 

We never should have been in a position to have to rely upon Vaughn THIS year...at least not until he had 2-3 months of additional seasoning in Birmingham/Charlotte.

Leury/Engel/Mendick should never be counted on for much above replacement level production.

31 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This forum loves blaming everyone but the people who actually blew the game and the lead. The Bullpen was given leads and makes a ton of money/% of their payroll and they didn't do their job. The point of having a great bullpen is to cover for a shortcoming or a poor offensive day. The bullpen has been a disaster.

Definitely not defending the bullpen my guy! They have sucked a fat one. But the situational hitting, errors, and lack of fundamentals are just as worrisome. We won’t be winning games scoring 3-4 runs. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

I'd say virtually every aspect of the way our team is playing being this bad from the beginning is a bad sign and likely more than just "getting off to a bad start."

And we've seen it happen time and time again. 

Tim Anderson is out. Eloy is out.

1 hour ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Definitely not defending the bullpen my guy! They have sucked a fat one. But the situational hitting, errors, and lack of fundamentals are just as worrisome. We won’t be winning games scoring 3-4 runs. 

To be fair, this thread is talking specifically about the bullpen.

I think the pen will be fine. Yeah they have been bad and bummer and foster probably were due to some regression but overall I still think the pen is a talented Group that will be fine. 

Also team defense was very bad which did not help either but when Anderson and Engel are back and nick gets more acclimated this will improve too. Right now the injuries just mean a lot of guys play out of position or are below average there. 

Vaughn and leury play out of position and collins has improved but still isn't a great defensive catcher. With madrigal also slumping Defensively (I still think he will be fine, he had a month in the majors and then a shoulder surgery which probably didn't help either) this means a lot of defensive weak spots in the roster. 

I am not too concerned about the pen.  I still think it'll be really good.  But yesterday never should have been a 1 run game.  Sox should have been up 5-6 runnings by the middle innings.  Their lacks of offensive execution is why the lost the game, not because Santana ran into one against Hendriks. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yep. We knew coming into this game that lineup wasn't going to get the job done. However, our big time bullpen had another chance to close a game out and blew it. Our high priced closer could have gotten away with anything but a homer and then proceeds to give up a homer. 

Just now, harkness99 said:

lol.. okay.. yeah i guess the two good to dominant years he had in a row are negated by his bad start this year...

Nah, he sucked last year too.  His peripherals have been trash for some time.

I am being flippant of course, Colome would be a fine middle reliever for $5M.  But he is not someone who should be closing games for a good team.  

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am not too concerned about the pen.  I still think it'll be really good.  But yesterday never should have been a 1 run game.  Sox should have been up 5-6 runnings by the middle innings.  Their lacks of offensive execution is why the lost the game, not because Santana ran into one against Hendriks. 

I swear if there was a stat about executing with a man on 3rd with less than 2 outs the Sox would have to be last in baseball. I think they have K'd like 90 % of the time in that situation and the other times popped up , the exact 2 things you least want to see in that situation.

19 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

I'd say virtually every aspect of the way our team is playing being this bad from the beginning is a bad sign and likely more than just "getting off to a bad start."

And we've seen it happen time and time again. 

Member when they looked just as bad last year, in a shorter season and got their asses kicked by a minor league cardinals lineup, then won like 9 out of 10 and everyone forgot about the first two weeks?

Me neither. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

That doesn't fit his narrative tho! 

oh yeah the "narrative" of two posts

all i said was that i thought colome did well last couple years... was a bit suprised they got rid of him.

Then you come in telling me how he actually sucks.. with some implied sabermetric stats that only the truly enlightned like yourself know.

Just being a

snide ass

Edited by harkness99
tired of message board assholes

49 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

oh yeah the "narrative" of two posts

all i said was that i thought colome did well last couple years... was a bit suprised they got rid of him.

Then you come in telling me how he actually sucks.. with some implied sabermetric stats that only the truly enlightned like yourself know.

Just being a

snide ass

Lol, wow.  So sorry I upset you. Not sure the personal attacks are necessary.  

Doesn't take much effort to see Colome had an xFIP (I just chose 1 of several obvious measures!) of 4.61 and 4.26 in his 2 seasons in a White Sox jersey, clearly exhibiting his 2.81 and 0,81 ERAs were not sustainable. Then you watch the guy, and he see he can't strike anybody out and walks a tight rope most times he pitches.

Hendriks is far far far better reliever than Colome,  yet here you are pining for Colome and calling out Hendriks for his poor 3 appearances.  

Comical stuff.  

27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, wow.  So sorry I upset you. Not sure the personal attacks are necessary.  

Doesn't take much effort to see Colome had an xFIP (I just chose 1 of several obvious measures!) of 4.61 and 4.26 in his 2 seasons in a White Sox jersey, clearly exhibiting his 2.81 and 0,81 ERAs were not sustainable. Then you watch the guy, and he see he can't strike anybody out and walks a tight rope most times he pitches.

Hendriks is far far far better reliever than Colome,  yet here you are pining for Colome and calling out Hendriks for his poor 3 appearances.  

Comical stuff.  

now im "pining" lol

perhaps hendricks is better long term than colome... that seems to be an accepted conclusion by many.

I like how being a little smart ass in your mind isn't personal.

Edited by harkness99