Indians/White Sox pitching match-ups (MON-THURS)

caulfield12

Gut-check time.

MON  T.McKenzie vs. Carlos Rodon

TUES  S. Bieber vs. Lucas Giolito

WED   Plesac vs. Keuchel

THUR  Civale vs. Lynn

Based on last season's 2-8 record against CLE and our ongoing terrible stretch against right-hand pitching, a 2-2 split seems like the most realistic outcome we can hope for...we missed LHP Logan Allen by one game, which I'm sure was by design.

At any rate, then we head to Boston, and the Red Sox are just starting to get hot now just like the Indians (after tearing up the Tigers' pitching staff, especially early in games.)

Bieber hasn't flashed Cy Young form yet, which is a bit scary, and McKenzie has really good stuff.  We obviously struggled with both Plesac and Civale last year, especially in September as the Indians chased us down after the Sox were 32-15 and out in first by 3 over the Twins.

2-2 is what you can hope for at best, and should make most very happy. Anything better than that would mean either the bats came alive miraculously or we got really lucky. These should be really close games...it's going to come down to the little things, like defense, baserunning and baseball IQ...something the Sox have been lacking lately.

18 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

2-2 is what you can hope for at best, and should make most very happy. Anything better than that would mean either the bats came alive miraculously or we got really lucky. These should be really close games...it's going to come down to the little things, like defense, baserunning and baseball IQ...something the Sox have been lacking lately.

We've got our best pitchers going..  Cleaveland isn't very good.

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

We've got our best pitchers going..  Cleaveland isn't very good.

They just swept Detroit. I know...it's Detroit, but Cleveland is hot. Playing better baseball than the Sox right now.

I don't think we have the luxury of calling other teams "not very good", especially if those teams are in 1st place, until we are in 1st place.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if we got swept. That pitching staff gives us fits and their offense just seems to do enough against us. I also wouldn't be surprised if we swept them in a bunch of 3-2 types of games. Should be a fun series and hopefully our bats come through when the opportunities arise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we got swept. That pitching staff gives us fits and their offense just seems to do enough against us. I also wouldn't be surprised if we swept them in a bunch of 3-2 types of games. Should be a fun series and hopefully our bats come through when the opportunities arise. 

Until we show a competent offense and the lockdown bullpen we are a flawed team that will continue to get beat by good teams.  Last year we didn't beat anyone that was over 500 on a regular basis.  

14 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Everyone is on normal rest, it would be terrible to throw ReyLo out there

They're even on extended rest since there were 2 days off instead of 1. There's no reason Giolito or even Keuchel should be unable to start tonight

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just a matter of routine most likely 

Yeah if they knew yesterday Rodon couldn't go today Gio would probably be pitching. Don't want to mess with running your Ace out there with less than 6 hours notice when he was expecting to pitch tomorrow. Just gotta bite the bullet here.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Who’s excited to see Lopez start if the rumors about Rodon being sick are true?

If Rodon has a non-COVID illness, like some kind of stomach bug, you'd have to put him on the 10-day IL and end up giving ReyLo 2 starts to bring him up.

Or, you have to send down a position player to bring up ReyLo and play with a 3 man bench.

If Giolito can't be ready to go tonight, I'd think a bullpen game is more likely.

5 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I would be stunned if the White Sox were swept in a 4 game series this year.