White Sox Winner!!!

Chicago White Sox

Bright spot last night was the bullpen for sure.  Marshall gave up the one run, but coming into a bases loaded no out situation against a good hitting team and giving up only one run is pretty damn good.  Bummer looked like the Bummer we know he can be.  And Heuer was just nasty.

The offense is concerning.  Not getting one run when the bases were loaded with no outs in inexcusable.  Through 10 games, this team has been terrible at hitting when there are runners on and especially in scoring position.  That has to improve...and I'm sure it will.

Moncada looked better last night, but he needs to stop putting himself in 0-2 and 1-2 holes.  Even Steve Stone was getting a bit pissed about him taking good pitches.  I think he'll be fine, though.  Defensively, he looks really good at 3rd.  He got a lot of work last night, especially when Keuchel was pitching.  He's at his best on tough plays.

And let's talk about Adam Eaton.  I'm not sure even those of us okay with the signing expected what we're seeing from him.  Who knows if this type of production will stick, but he's looked very good and has been clutch.  He's already significantly better than Mazara was for us.

It was an ugly way to win a game, but it's a win.  And I do believe that a win, no matter how, does help with the psyche of a team.

31 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Bright spot last night was the bullpen for sure.  Marshall gave up the one run, but coming into a bases loaded no out situation against a good hitting team and giving up only one run is pretty damn good.  Bummer looked like the Bummer we know he can be.  And Heuer was just nasty.

The offense is concerning.  Not getting one run when the bases were loaded with no outs in inexcusable.  Through 10 games, this team has been terrible at hitting when there are runners on and especially in scoring position.  That has to improve...and I'm sure it will.

Moncada looked better last night, but he needs to stop putting himself in 0-2 and 1-2 holes.  Even Steve Stone was getting a bit pissed about him taking good pitches.  I think he'll be fine, though.  Defensively, he looks really good at 3rd.  He got a lot of work last night, especially when Keuchel was pitching.  He's at his best on tough plays.

And let's talk about Adam Eaton.  I'm not sure even those of us okay with the signing expected what we're seeing from him.  Who knows if this type of production will stick, but he's looked very good and has been clutch.  He's already significantly better than Mazara was for us.

It was an ugly way to win a game, but it's a win.  And I do believe that a win, no matter how, does help with the psyche of a team.

Isn't steverson back with our org in some capacity? Maybe we could give moncada some 1-on-1 time with him again to get him on track.

There was one out when Williams hit the grounder. Even if the throw didn't hit Grandall there was no way they were going to turn that double play and prevent the winning run from scoring. It was ugly, but we would have won it without that throwing error.

18 minutes ago, tray said:

There was one out when Williams hit the grounder. Even if the throw didn't hit Grandall there was no way they were going to turn that double play and prevent the winning run from scoring. It was ugly, but we would have won it without that throwing error.

Nick was on 2B.  He doesn't score on a clean fielder's choice at 2B.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, tray said:

They weren't gonna turn the DP if fielded cleanly but Madrigal would have been toast if he tried to score 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fathom said:

Heuer stepped up big time after Marshall kept the team in the game.

Kopech and Crochet get a decent amount of publicity on this site , as well they should.  But Heuer has been a 3rd strong option in that pen as well. 

• Like 3

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Andrew Vaughn has a .400 OBP and Nick Williams should never be playing instead of him. 

How about a little appreciation for the guy who hit the "grounder, fielder's choice, runner hit it the head" ball for the win.  C'mon Man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Kopech and Crochet get a decent amount of publicity on this site , as well they should.  But Heuer has been a 3rd strong option in that pen as well. 

Also working multiple innings as well .  He was awesome last night.

1 hour ago, tray said:

I am confident that had Yas been thrown out successfully, Madrigal would have been out at the plate somehow. The board then erupts. 

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I am confident that had Yas been thrown out successfully, Madrigal would have been out at the plate somehow. The board then erupts. 

I know this is jest but from the replay it did look like madrigal and stopped and re-set at third before starting when it was clear ball deflected.

34 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Andrew Vaughn has a .400 OBP and Nick Williams should never be playing instead of him. 

Yes, there is no excuse for not playing Vaughn everyday.  How do you ever expect him to get in a rhythym when he probably feels like he has to him a homer every time just to get playing time over guys who werent even on teams one month ago 

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yes, there is no excuse for not playing Vaughn everyday.  How do you ever expect him to get in a rhythym when he probably feels like he has to him a homer every time just to get playing time over guys who werent even on teams one month ago 

He will play tonight, go 0-3 with 2K and a walk and be benched next two games 

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, as bad as the bullpen has been this year, I still have full confidence in the unit.  Hendriks, Bummer, Heuer, Kopech, & Crochet will all be studly and even Marshall was flashing his 2020 form tonight.  I actually am starting to feel pretty good about the pitching staff, health permitting.

The front office does need to do something about this offense though.  I have zero concerns about the core guys, but we can’t keep starting three dogshit players at the bottom of the order. When Timmy is out, we need both Vaughn & Madrigal in the lineup most nights.  If that’s not going to happen, then send Andrew down and figure out a way to acquire a better OF option than Nick Williams.  Can’t afford these back holes while Jose, Moncada, etc. are slumping.

Ya, I have plenty of worries about this team but the bullpen ain't one of them.  That group will be one of if not the best pens in the league.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beautox said:

image.png

WTF?!

Do you know anything about baseball ? You are citing stats from a few games ? Yes Williams hasn't hit in 2 whole games and Vaughn hasn't done anything against RHP in a few games. Tell me again what has he done to deserve to play . Don't tell me about what a great hitter he was in college. Don't tell me about his great minor league stats at the high levels of the minors because you can't. He isn't a great defender. He isn't a speedy runner .Right now there is no reason to play him against anything but LHP if winning means anything to you. But apparently it doesn't when you choose to gripe about Vaughn not playing in a game the Sox won.

Last night was a great win . Try happiness.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Do you know anything about baseball ? You are citing stats from a few games ? Yes Williams hasn't hit in 2 whole games and Vaughn hasn't done anything against RHP in a few games. Tell me again what has he done to deserve to play . Don't tell me about what a great hitter he was in college. Don't tell me about his great minor league stats at the high levels of the minors because you can't. He isn't a great defender. He isn't a speedy runner .Right now there is no reason to play him against anything but LHP if winning means anything to you. But apparently it doesn't when you choose to gripe about Vaughn not playing in a game the Sox won.

Last night was a great win . Try happiness.

ummm he had a great spring and has a .400 OBP, and has the prestige of being a potentially great hitter.. I'd say that's enough to play him more than 6 games and above Nick Williams and Billy Hamilton .

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's really surprising to hear this from you. Vaughn hasn't done anything to earn playing time except against LHP. He has no middle or even upper level of the minors playing time at all. If you are going to actually use SSS stats  then use his .000 Batting average and .200 OBP against RHP.  Neither one has earned time but I'll take the LH hitting matchup from a guy who has some decent splits in his time in the majors over Vaughn at this time. This is being objective and not favoring a top prospect who warrants neither defensive, offensive or speed consideration to be in the lineup atm.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's really surprising to hear this from you. Vaughn hasn't done anything to earn playing time except against LHP. He has no middle or even upper level of the minors playing time at all. If you are going to actually use SSS stats  then use his .000 Batting average and .200 OBP against RHP.  Neither one has earned time but I'll take the LH hitting matchup from a guy who has some decent splits in his time in the majors over Vaughn at this time. This is being objective and not favoring a top prospect who warrants neither defensive, offensive or speed consideration to be in the lineup atm.

Then he should be at the alternate site and I'd be fine with that decision as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1