White Sox Winner!!!

Chicago White Sox

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

ummm he had a great spring and has a .400 OBP, and has the prestige of being a potentially great hitter.. I'd say that's enough to play him more than 6 games and above Nick Williams and Billy Hamilton .

If great springs counted for anything Engel would ve been a superstar a long time ago and Yermin would have been our DH 2 years ago. Keep citing that.400 OBP in a few games and forget his .000 BA and .200 OBP vs. RHP or the fact he has no speed and isn't a great left fielder. He's been accumulating negative WAR stats in his playing time.

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Do you know anything about baseball ? You are citing stats from a few games ? Yes Williams hasn't hit in 2 whole games and Vaughn hasn't done anything against RHP in a few games. Tell me again what has he done to deserve to play . Don't tell me about what a great hitter he was in college. Don't tell me about his great minor league stats at the high levels of the minors because you can't. He isn't a great defender. He isn't a speedy runner .Right now there is no reason to play him against anything but LHP if winning means anything to you. But apparently it doesn't when you choose to gripe about Vaughn not playing in a game the Sox won.

Last night was a great win . Try happiness.

If he is here, he should be playing every day getting at bats. If he isn't playing every day, he needs to be at the alternate site.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If great springs counted for anything Engel would ve been a superstar a long time ago and Yermin would have been our DH 2 years ago. Keep citing that.400 OBP in a few games and forget his .000 BA and .200 OBP vs. RHP or the fact he has no speed and isn't a great left fielder. He's been accumulating negative WAR stats in his playing time.

Keep citing his .000 BA in a few games and forget about his .400 OBP.. See how easy it is to do that?

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Fire 1

15 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Then he should be at the alternate site and I'd be fine with that decision as well. 

That's what I keep hearing from every one who insists that he keeps playing because there's really no reason for him to keep playing except against LHP if winning means anything to anyone. Yet a few days ago when I said he will be sent down I was met with extreme skepticism. Vaughn will more than likely be sent back down when the Minor League season starts but he's not going to be playing here every day so everyone needs to get their heads wrapped around that. Hopefully he develops like the stud he was drafted to be in the minors and contributes to team wins at while he's still up here and when he gains more experience.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

10 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Keep citing his .000 BA in a few games and forget about his .400 OBP.. See how easy it is to do that?

Dude you brought up the .400 OBP so if you could do it then  I can do it too. Now you're just going round in circles . Yes I see how easy it is and now I am supposed to use the stats I already gave you again or what ? The point was that using that .400 OBP stat is stupid and does nothing to support an argument for his playing time.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

40 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Then he should be at the alternate site and I'd be fine with that decision as well. 

This is the problem right here. Many people were asking for us to sign a legit DH because you can't rely on Vaughn this year most likely because he doesn't have the seasoning. Our FO was cheap and just said he is ready because of what they saw in Schaumburg while hoping our lineup could cover for development time. That is not the case now and we need production from him. This is on the FO. 

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Dude you brought up the .400 OBP so if you could do it then  I can do it too. Now you're just going round in circles . Yes I see how easy it is and now I am supposed to use the stats I already gave you again or what ? The point was that using that .400 OBP stat is stupid and does nothing to support an argument for his playing time.

Getting on base 40% of the time is stupid and doesn't justify playing?

Well that's quite the take.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think his point is that it is against LHP and Vaughn has been bad against RHP. Either way, if he is up here he needs to hit and get better. Not playing is going to help him how TLR? 

7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think his point is that it is against LHP and Vaughn has been bad against RHP. Either way, if he is up here he needs to hit and get better. Not playing is going to help him how TLR? 

I mean, in general his sample is minuscule to begin with. Taking the already small sample and breaking it down to an 8 AB sample instead of 14 is just laughably pointless. 

Can't really analyze R/L splits when he's looking at less than 4 full games of AB's. 

He's having good AB's, seeing a lot of pitches and getting on base. He hasn't hit the ball all that hard yet, but again it's been like 4 games. Someone's approach is much more indicative of their readiness, IMO, than their numbers in their young career.

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

To be fair, Williams was in the lineup before Rodon was scratched.

Just because it was announced late doesn’t mean it wasn’t decided earlier.  There was a tweet posted in the game thread suggesting Keuchel knew he would be going more than 2 hours before the game started. 

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Do try to keep up. Did you somehow miss that I could use SSS stats by citing how he has hit against RHP and the 000. B.A. and .200 OBP against them ? Citing either one is stupid but he brought it up 1st so that was my counter against it.

51 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

If he is here, he should be playing every day getting at bats. If he isn't playing every day, he needs to be at the alternate site.

Right now there is no difference between Yermin Mercedes and Vaughn except pedigree and minor league experience. Everyone wants  Vaughn to play because he is the guy who hit like a monster in college and is highly rated prospect so therefore he should be playing everyday. Yermin Mercedes is slow and had no position he could play well and didn't have the pedigree so higher draft picks played over him because of that. Vaughn is slow, cannot play LF well  and 1st base has Abreu and he has not seized his opportunities . Very few wanted Mercedes to get a chance and he couldn't even get ranked in the Sox top 30 prospects. Pedigree and lack of defense. I'm sure Mercedes could've been switched to 1st base a long time ago except well there's always the dogs with pedigree blocking the way for any position he could play since he is a mutt.

Yermin earned his way on the team through sheer perseverance, good hitting in the minors, injuries and seizing the opportunity when given. Vaughn has done none of that. The only thing so far he has going for him is pedigree. Pedigree is why he is here but it does not guarantee continuous playing time not even when his competition is Williams , Hamilton or Engel when he returns. I will not die on the hill saying Williams deserve full time playing time just as no one should be advocating for Vaughn playing full time based on pedigree. Play each against the pitchers they match up well against for now and hopefully they can contribute to wins.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Do try to keep up. Did you somehow miss that I could use SSS stats by citing how he has hit against RHP and the 000. B.A. and .200 OBP against them ? Citing either one is stupid but he brought it up 1st so that was my counter against it.

Right now there is no difference between Yermin Mercedes and Vaughn except pedigree and minor league experience. Everyone wants  Vaughn to play because he is the guy who hit like a monster in college and is highly rated prospect so therefore he should be playing everyday. Yermin Mercedes is slow and had no position he could play well and didn't have the pedigree so higher draft picks played over him because of that. Vaughn is slow, cannot play LF well  and 1st base has Abreu and he has not seized his opportunities . Very few wanted Mercedes to get a chance and he couldn't even get ranked in the Sox top 30 prospects. Pedigree and lack of defense. I'm sure Mercedes could've been switched to 1st base a long time ago except well there's always the dogs with pedigree blocking the way for any position he could play since he is a mutt.

Yermin earned his way on the team through sheer perseverance, good hitting in the minors, injuries and seizing the opportunity when given. Vaughn has done none of that. The only thing so far he has going for him is pedigree. Pedigree is why he is here but it does not guarantee continuous playing time not even when his competition is Williams , Hamilton or Engel when he returns. I will not die on the hill saying Williams deserve full time playing time just as no one should be advocating for Vaughn playing full time based on pedigree. Play each against the pitchers they match up well against for now and hopefully they can contribute to wins.

You do realize if Eloy doesn't get hurt, Vaughn is on the team, and Yermin is enjoying what Schaumburg has to offer. 

The point is, if the Sox don't feel Vaughn is ready to play every day, it made zero sense having him on the roster and starting his clock. Either play him or send him down.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I mean, in general his sample is minuscule to begin with. Taking the already small sample and breaking it down to an 8 AB sample instead of 14 is just laughably pointless. 

Can't really analyze R/L splits when he's looking at less than 4 full games of AB's. 

He's having good AB's, seeing a lot of pitches and getting on base. He hasn't hit the ball all that hard yet, but again it's been like 4 games. Someone's approach is much more indicative of their readiness, IMO, than their numbers in their young career.

Facts. And I don't care if the sample size were bigger, he still needs to play. How can he get better of he isn't seeing elite pitching consistently? And it's certainly not like Nick Williams and Billy Hamilton are good baseball players at this point. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Are you just going with the flow or actually prefer him to keep accumulating negative WAR and keep playing ?

Prefer him to be sent down.  He doesn’t belong up here at the moment but we’re wasting a possible 7th year in his prime. With Mercedes doing well, he has no spot on the roster.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Prefer him to be sent down.  He doesn’t belong up here at the moment but we’re wasting a possible 7th year in his prime. With Mercedes doing well, he has no spot on the roster.

They will have some interesting decisions to make when Anderson, Engel and even Hamilton come back.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Facts. And I don't care if the sample size were bigger, he still needs to play. How can he get better of he isn't seeing elite pitching consistently? And it's certainly not like Nick Williams and Billy Hamilton are good baseball players at this point. 

That’s the problem right there...none of those 3 belong in the majors at the moment.

So, just so I am clear...Many on this board feel the media stupidly overhyped the White Sox based only 60 games last year.

But they are also sure the White Sox aren't good at all this year after only 10 games?

🤷‍♂️

Edited by RibbieRubarb
typo

32 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No, his approach has been solid despite his contact not being great. That's the point of citing his OBP. 

I want Vaughn to play in LF so he has nothing to do with Mercedes. Nick Williams is not a good LF'er.

• Like 1