Sox vs Indians - Tuesday, April 13th, 710pm

smalls2598

I understand that rotating bench pieces in is incredibly important for both the rest of the starters and the sharpness of the subs, and that sometimes that is going to mean sitting your best and/or hottest players.

But, intuitively, I don't feel like games against your division rival's ace are the ones in which to do this.

Especially with Yermin, who is only DH-ing. Even if you had to give him some rest, wouldn't both yesterday AND tomorrow be better choices?

• Like 1

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

I understand that rotating bench pieces in is incredibly important for both the rest of the starters and the sharpness of the subs, and that sometimes that is going to mean sitting your best and/or hottest players.

But, intuitively, I don't feel like games against your division rival's ace are the ones in which to do this.

Especially with Yermin, who is only DH-ing. Even if you had to give him some rest, wouldn't both yesterday AND tomorrow be better choices?

...nor is it necessary to stack ALL the bench pieces up in the lineup together over and over.  You can spread it out a bit and still keep everyone fresh. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

We all saw the red flags when he was batting Moncada 4 above Eloy.. We should have known he had no idea how to construct a lineup in 2021.

I mean this would have been bad in 2008. This is like "mark kotsay should be our leadoff hitter" territory.

• Like 2

Don't understand why Mercedes is out, or why this lineup is so bad against one of their best pitchers. Maybe Mercedes gets owned, but he at least is putting together professional ABs. 

This is just terrible. This is the best lineup we can put out there to try and beat one of Cleveland's best? This is what you give the fans who actually show up???? Giolito is a plus for the fans, yes, but a lineup like that is just a joke. 

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

...nor is it necessary to stack ALL the bench pieces up in the lineup together over and over.  You can spread it out a bit and still keep everyone fresh. 

Well, to be fair, given the injuries, Lamb is really the only certified "bench piece." You have to figure Williams is in a straight platoon with Vaughn at this point, and as bad as Williams is, it isn't like Vaughn has been forcing the issue.

4 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

He shouldn't need rest. They were off both Friday and Saturday.

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

Well, to be fair, given the injuries, Lamb is really the only certified "bench piece." You have to figure Williams is in a straight platoon with Vaughn at this point, and as bad as Williams is, it isn't like Vaughn has been forcing the issue.

Hasn't been given a chance.  Williams has been here for like 4 days and by tomorrow he'll probably have more at bats than Andrew.

• Like 2

Just now, YoYoIsMyHero said:

This will be his 3rd day off in 5 days. Great way to ride the hot hand.

That’s a good point. It’s not like anyone needs a rest. But this isn’t new for Tony. He always falls in love with some crappy player. Nick Williams now.  You can question him playing Leury so much vs. RHP, his weakness. He has also had him play 4 positions already, so not making it easier on him. Hopefully the Sox line up gets going soon and going so well Tony can’t fuck around. It’s kind of like Ryan Pace and draft picks, he often doesn’t do the obvious in an attempt to be the smartest guy in the room. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

That’s a good point. It’s not like anyone needs a rest. But this isn’t new for Tony. He always falls in love with some crappy player. Nick Williams now.  You can question him playing Leury so much vs. RHP, his weakness. He has also had him play 4 positions already, so not making it easier on him. Hopefully the Sox line up gets going soon and going so well Tony can’t fuck around. It’s kind of like Ryan Pace and draft picks, he often doesn’t do the obvious in an attempt to be the smartest guy in the room. 

We need TA back. Baby steps. And then Engel hopefully within a couple weeks who I wouldn't mind playing RF every day with Eaton in LF going forward (if they aren't playing Vaughn in LF every day that is).

3 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Hasn't been given a chance.  Williams has been here for like 4 days and by tomorrow he'll probably have more at bats than Andrew.

I agree Vaughn is better and more important and needs ABs -- and I think he'll get them. I'm just saying that as of this game today, it's hard to argue that this is a case of "benching the starter in favor of a bench guy" given that Vaughn has yet to establish himself as the starter.

• Thanks 1

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic