Sox vs Indians - Tuesday, April 13th, 710pm

smalls2598

I can see from the lineup that the strategy TLR is employing must be one of the following: 1) he is attempting to lure the opponent into a false sense of security so that he can use his brilliant HOF baseball person manager guy brain later on in the game in a manner which will befuddle the opposing manager; or 2) out of genius, he is trying to lose the game on purpose, because he knows that there is some other, greater reward which will come of this loss later, which will actually make the team better and result in a higher win total at the end of the season.

....Or maybe he's just unfit for the job.  Who knows?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I can see from the lineup that the strategy TLR is employing must be one of the following: 1) he is attempting to lure the opponent into a false sense of security so that he can use his brilliant HOF baseball person manager guy brain later on in the game in a manner which will befuddle the opposing manager; or 2) out of genius, he is trying to lose the game on purpose, because he knows that there is some other, greater reward which will come of this loss later, which will actually make the team better and result in a higher win total at the end of the season.

....Or maybe he's just unfit for the job.  Who knows?

La Booza plays by nobody’s rules but his own

He’s a hall of famer, brother. 

🤣

Edited by username

13 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I understand that rotating bench pieces in is incredibly important for both the rest of the starters and the sharpness of the subs, and that sometimes that is going to mean sitting your best and/or hottest players.

But, intuitively, I don't feel like games against your division rival's ace are the ones in which to do this.

Especially with Yermin, who is only DH-ing. Even if you had to give him some rest, wouldn't both yesterday AND tomorrow be better choices?

Nick Williams caught a couple balls yesterday which at best would have been difficult for both Eloy and Vaughn.  Both of those guys probably miss at least one, and the Sox end up giving more runs to CLE.  So I can understand why you might want a guy with a better glove out there, but batting 5th?  Seriously?  TLR is an old shoe.

1 minute ago, username said:

La Booza plays by nobody’s rules but his own

Whatever brain cells Captain Morgan, Bud Weiser, and Jack Daniels haven't already killed, Old Man Time and Mother Nature have pretty much taken care of.  Whatever his rules are at this point, they should be determined by his primary care provider and administered by a registered nurse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, YourWhatHurts said:

Whatever brain cells Captain Morgan, Bud Weiser, and Jack Daniels haven't already killed, Old Man Time and Mother Nature have pretty much taken care of.  Whatever his rules are at this point, they should be determined by his primary care provider and administered by a registered nurse.

Hahaha this was great. 

Can anyone recall a top 3 draft pick being recalled so quickly to the majors then mostly sitting?

This is just as much on Hahn as LaRussa.

Or TLR is trying to send a message to the front office that he believes Vaughn isn’t ready for Cy Young-caliber pitchers?

Trying to showcase his purported strategic brilliance with crappier line-ups every day?

Edited by caulfield12

I get it these have been shit lineups but you replace Mendick and Williams with TA and Engel, it looks a lot better.  

We're pretty decimated by injury at the moment.  There are no good options.  I do agree Vaughn should be getting ABs but I really doubt he'd fare any better against Bieber than Williams or Lamb will (though experience is priceless).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I get it these have been shit lineups but you replace Mendick and Williams with TA and Engel, it looks a lot better.  

We're pretty decimated by injury at the moment.  There are no good options.  I do agree Vaughn should be getting ABs but I really doubt he'd fare any better against Bieber than Williams or Lamb will (though experience is priceless).

Engel against tough RHP is not a good answer

Edited by fathom

21 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Well, to be fair, given the injuries, Lamb is really the only certified "bench piece." You have to figure Williams is in a straight platoon with Vaughn at this point, and as bad as Williams is, it isn't like Vaughn has been forcing the issue.

16 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I agree Vaughn is better and more important and needs ABs -- and I think he'll get them. I'm just saying that as of this game today, it's hard to argue that this is a case of "benching the starter in favor of a bench guy" given that Vaughn has yet to establish himself as the starter.

Fine, substitute "guy who should be playing" for "starter."  It's kind of a semantic point.  There are ways to construct our lineups so we don't see the likes of Williams, Lamb, and Mendick making up a third of our batting lineup. They should do that.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic