Sox vs Indians - Tuesday, April 13th, 710pm

smalls2598

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Probably the same as Williams and Lamb. Are we gonna bench Vaughn everytime we face a good RHP? 

No. We will bench him every time we face any RH. And sometimes against LH to get Leury in there.

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

I haven't read the article there, so I'm not saying you're lying, but every article on this that I HAVE read (including the most oft-cited one from Baseball Between the Numbers) concludes the difference to be roughly two wins over the least optimal lineup, not the average one, which is why people pretty much don't worry about it anymore.

This article's conclusion is way different than everything I've seen over the years.

I think that argument pertains to batting order, not the actual players. If you chose to sit your better players for bad players the effect on W/L is directly correlated to the lost WAR which can certainly equal way more than 2 wins when done enough.

Edit: I don't think anyone is analyzing "what if this manager is a moron and plays the lesser players on the team more than the better plays because he feels like it"

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You tell me how do you think Vaughn would fare against the RHP ace of Cleveland's staff Justin Bieber. Then tell me how his defense helps Giolito in LF.

I have no idea how he'd fare because I haven't been able to actually see him play enough games to draw a conclusion.

He'd likely lay off things out of the zone, and work the count, which is better than the garbage we're throwing out there instead.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

42 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You tell me how do you think Vaughn would fare against the RHP ace of Cleveland's staff Justin Bieber. Then tell me how his defense helps Giolito in LF.

Probably as well as Williams will fare vs Bieber

If you can't trust him in LF when Giolito- a really good pitcher- is pitching & balls would likely not be hit as hard, when can he be trusted?

Keep defending this crap

37 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's a good answer. I can't answer the question since I think Vaughn will be in the minors when the Sox face most of the tough RHP during the season .

Would you have been okay with Robert and Moncada being benched during their early struggles? 

10 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Probably as well as Williams will fare vs Bieber

If you can't trust him in LF when Giolito- a really good pitcher- is pitching & balls would likely not be hit as hard, when can he be trusted?

Keep defending this crap

When Robert struggled last year we should have brought back Delmonico to replace him. Moncada should have been benched for Yolmer last year. 

• Like 1

Tony wants some defense to help Giolito.  That at least explains why Vaughn isn't in LF.  Using Lamb at DH was a decision that might be based on some factor(s) that the fans don't know about.

Well, the  line-up is weak because Eloy and TA aren't here, not because Vaughn is on the bench

Mercedes will get in to pinch hit at some point or possibly replace Lamb if we knock out Bieber.  Let's just win and live to fight (with one another) another day (tomorrow).

2 minutes ago, tray said:

Tony wants some defense to help Giolito.  That at least explains why Vaughn isn't in LF.  Using Lamb at DH was a decision that might be based on some factor(s) that the fans don't know about.

Well, the  line-up is weak because Eloy and TA aren't here, not because Vaughn is on the bench

Mercedes will get in to pinch hit at some point or possibly replace Lamb if we knock out Bieber.  Let's just win and live to fight (with one another) another day (tomorrow).

But Williams has put up some of the worst defensive stat lines of any LFer in the last 2-3 years, with the Phillies.

I mean, 2012 Dayan Viciedo looks like a Gold Glover in comparison.  Might as well bring him back from Japan and stick him out there.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, YourWhatHurts said:

Really?  Well that's not good.  He's looked fine to me when I've seen him.

Well, "fine" is pretty subjective, when you're comparing to Eloy and Vaughn...

We used to rip on Scotty Pods and Juan Pierre for their noodle arms, but at least they could get to the ball and make most of the routine plays.  

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But Williams has put up some of the worst defensive stat lines of any LFer in the last 2-3 years, with the Phillies.

I mean, 2012 Dayan Viciedo looks like a Gold Glover in comparison.  Might as well bring him back from Japan and stick him out there.

He was fine in left. He was a nightmare in center

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Joc Peterson with that staggering .448 OPS right now guys...Williams is fine until Engel gets back vs righties.

Because Pederson is struggling...there's somehow a corollary that Engel will automatically sustain his success from last season?

When we're actually DEPENDING on Adam Engel to help solve offensive problems, you know it's going to be a really long and torturous season.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

He was fine in left. He was a nightmare in center

Okay, let's just call him an MLB average left fielder...but he still didn't get much game action against the best opposing starting pitchers in spring training.

I would expect his success rate to be right up there with Leury's funk.

41 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think that argument pertains to batting order, not the actual players. If you chose to sit your better players for bad players the effect on W/L is directly correlated to the lost WAR which can certainly equal way more than 2 wins when done enough.

Edit: I don't think anyone is analyzing "what if this manager is a moron and plays the lesser players on the team more than the better plays because he feels like it"

I know -- batting order is what I'm talking about. In the BBTN study, they found an average two win difference across "sabermetrically ideal" and the worst possible batting orders over their thousands of simulations or whatever.

Of course, in real life, any single situation that occurs could be game-changing, but I think the point is that since you can't really control who is up in specific situations, over the time the effect regresses toward mean outcomes for all players, and the chief driver of the two win difference is that better players get more ABs in better lineups.

Edited by Eminor3rd

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic