Trade Targets

Chicago White Sox

Alright guys, I’ve seen enough of this offense to feel confident we need to add some sort of bat.  That player could be an everyday LF or some sort of role player, but we can’t keep rocking guys like Nick Williams & Billy Hamilton out there on a regular basis.

What ideas do you have?  One name that might be available and could come at a reasonable price is Kole Calhoun.  He’s not a perfect solution, but he would provide a LH power bat that could help with our deficiency against RHP until Eloy gets back.

Tauchman.

Some more expensive options are Haniger and Ketel Marte, so highly unlikely without gutting the farm that's still left.

Let's not forget the Angels just lost Dexter Fowler for the season, they'll also be looking.

Mark Canha (33)   YUCK, but might be realistic
Ian Desmond (36) — $15MM club option ($2MM buyout)  TRIPLE YUCK...well, we know how JR is about taking on salary, the Rockies would basically have to do a Rougned Odor trade
Corey Dickerson (33)   injuries/but a constant topic of discussion the last 2-3 years
Brett Gardner (38)  UNLIKELY
Marwin Gonzalez (33)  WAY PAST HIS PEAK, and not much of an offensive threat anymore, more valuable for positional versatility
Cameron Maybin (35)   SURE, why not?
Andrew McCutchen (35) — $15MM club option ($3M buyout)  see Maybin, obviously depending on health
Joc Pederson (30)  UNLIKELY
Tommy Pham (34)  he's REALLY struggling for the Padres coming off his off-season strip club stabbing, and if he continues to struggle and Tatis can't return they're going to have to add as well or play Profar out there everyday with Myers and Grisham
Jurickson Profar (29) – can opt of remaining two years  NOT LIKELY
Eddie Rosario (30)  DEFINITELY NOT LIKELY
Kyle Schwarber (29)  WHY NOT?  we know his defense is an issue, but at least he can give you some pop, albeit erratically
Chris Taylor (31)   Depends on if McKinstry can keep it up, but with loss of Kiki to Boston, he's way too valuable to LAD because of versatility
Yoshitomo Tsutsugo (30) unlikely solution, hard to win a trade with Rays anyway (other than Jake Cronenworth being pilfered)

5 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Starling

Who are you willing to give up?   Jared Kelley+?

Would the Marlins signal the White Flag after making the playoffs last year...THIS quickly?

He's hitting the ball hard, but doesn't have any homers yet and just a couple of RBI's.   Just can't imagine the Marlins trading him, and, if they do, it will be to a team like the Angels willing to overpay, not the bargain-hunting White Sox.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Like with all these names, when's the last time this kind of trade was put together for a Top 100ish player before at least May 1st...?

What are you even blabbing on about this time? Are you saying we aren't trading for anyone worth a damn unless its closer to mid-season?

Edited by manbearpuig

Just now, manbearpuig said:

What are you even blabbing on about this time? Are you saying we aren't trading for anyone worth a damn unless its closer to mid-season?

Obviously not.

I'm saying the trade market hasn't even started to form, and usually doesn't not at least until May.

Not unless one is willing to drastically over pay.

And I'm asking, once again, the last time it actually happened...that a trade was put together for a player of the quality of either Marte, Mitch Haniger, Joey Gallo, etc., in the first month of the season???

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Obviously not.

I'm saying the trade market hasn't even started to form, and usually doesn't not at least until May.

Not unless one is willing to drastically over pay.

And I'm asking, once again, the last time it actually happened...that a trade was put together for a player of the quality of either Marte, Mitch Haniger, Joey Gallo, etc., in the first month of the season???

Ok when the hell did anyone say anything about it being made right now.

37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Tauchman.

Some more expensive options are Haniger and Ketel Marte, so highly unlikely without gutting the farm that's still left.

Let's not forget the Angels just lost Dexter Fowler for the season, they'll also be looking.

Ian Desmond (36) — $15MM club option ($2MM buyout)  TRIPLE YUCK...well, we know how JR is about taking on salary, the Rockies would basically have to do a Rougned Odor trade
Corey Dickerson (33)   injuries/but a constant topic of discussion the last 2-3 years
Marwin Gonzalez (33)  WAY PAST HIS PEAK, and not much of an offensive threat anymore, more valuable for positional versatility
Andrew McCutchen (35) — $15MM club option ($3M buyout)  see Maybin, obviously depending on health
Tommy Pham (34)  he's REALLY struggling for the Padres coming off his off-season strip club stabbing, and if he continues to struggle and Tatis can't return they're going to have to add as well or play Profar out there everyday with Myers and Grisham
Kyle Schwarber (29)  WHY NOT?  we know his defense is an issue, but at least he can give you some pop, albeit erratically
Chris Taylor (31)   Depends on if McKinstry can keep it up, but with loss of Kiki to Boston, he's way too valuable to LAD because of versatility
Yoshitomo Tsutsugo (30) unlikely solution, hard to win a trade with Rays anyway (other than Jake Cronenworth being pilfered)

I would loveeeee Haniger on this team along with someone like Merrifield.  It would change the whole complexion of the lineup.

Im in favor of starting a 2nd generation rebuild. We aren't beating the Dodgers anytime soon. Some of our guys have so much control and value that the return would be unprecedented. The Sox could assemble the greatest group of prospects in the history of the game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Im in favor of starting a 2nd generation rebuild. We aren't beating the Dodgers anytime soon. Some of our guys have so much control and value that the return would be unprecedented. The Sox could assemble the greatest group of prospects in the history of the game. 

I wouldn't trust this ownership with a second chance at doing this.  We have to wait for nature to take its course.  The fucker is not immortal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ron883 said:

7 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I wouldn't trust this ownership with a second chance at doing this.  We have to wait for nature to take its course.  The fucker is not immortal.  

I agree with both of you. 

43 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Ok when the hell did anyone say anything about it being made right now.

When, then?   Because the entire premise of this thread is something needs to be done relatively quickly...unless CWS's idea was to give away as many game as possible in April, May and early June.   Don't think so.

If Jimenez is coming back, waiting another 4-6-8 weeks to acquire a premium bat doesn't (or won't) make nearly as much sense...

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Tauchman.

I was ridiculed by some on this board when I suggested signing Schwarber all offseason long. He'd look pretty good as our LF right now, wouldn't he?

19 minutes ago, ron883 said:

This is a spicy meatball. 

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

I was ridiculed by some on this board when I suggested signing Schwarber all offseason long. He'd look pretty good as our LF right now, wouldn't he?

Yes, that's how desperate we are to get a LEGIT big league bat in that spot.

Because you have a feeling Yermin and Collins will definitely go through their own set of ups and downs...and Vaughn will be shipped down to Birmingham or Charlotte on May 1st to get everyday playing time against RHP.

Schwarber is pretty bad Defensively too though. I think the white Sox shouldn't Punt too much defense. 

How about getting one of Jesse winker or Tyler naquin from the Reds? The Reds really have one outfielder too many so one has to sit and might be opening to trade one. 

I know naquin was a first baseman too but he lost some weight and unlike schwarber or Vaughn he is actually quite fast and athletic. 

Calhoun, Marte, Polanco, Haniger, Bryant. Gallo, Blackmon.

There are others who may be more likely/reasonable than others.  But we know one thing so far: Nick Williams is not the answer.  I'm not sold on Billy Hamilton being the answer either.  If the Sox plan on competing and even making it to the playoffs, they're going to have to so something to fill the very obvious hole in the lineup.