Trade Targets

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Schwarber is pretty bad Defensively too though. I think the white Sox shouldn't Punt too much defense. 

How about getting one of Jesse winker or Tyler naquin from the Reds? The Reds really have one outfielder too many so one has to sit and might be opening to trade one. 

I know naquin was a first baseman too but he lost some weight and unlike schwarber or Vaughn he is actually quite fast and athletic. 

Naquin already has five homers.

It would be like trading for Yermin.  You’re paying a much higher price based on less than a month’s worth of games.

They (Tyler and Winker) both have 200+ OPS numbers.

They will trade Aquino, they almost had to let him go out of spring training due to a roster crunch. 

18 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Calhoun, Marte, Polanco, Haniger, Bryant. Gallo, Blackmon.

There are others who may be more likely/reasonable than others.  But we know one thing so far: Nick Williams is not the answer.  I'm not sold on Billy Hamilton being the answer either.  If the Sox plan on competing and even making it to the playoffs, they're going to have to so something to fill the very obvious hole in the lineup.

Polanco hasn’t been close to a decent OPS in years and you have the Pirates holding on tight to money...JR prefers cash to keeping his prospects typically, and the Pirates would undoubtedly prefer a team that’s willing to take on 50-75% of his committed salary.

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright guys, I’ve seen enough of this offense to feel confident we need to add some sort of bat.  That player could be an everyday LF or some sort of role player, but we can’t keep rocking guys like Nick Williams & Billy Hamilton out there on a regular basis.

What ideas do you have?  One name that might be available and could come at a reasonable price is Kole Calhoun.  He’s not a perfect solution, but he would provide a LH power bat that could help with our deficiency against RHP until Eloy gets back.

Easy one for me...Tauchman. Would probably cost Steiver but he would answer so many needs (LH, some pop, all 3 OF positions, cheap).

15 minutes ago, tray said:

No trades for an outfielder.  Hang on until Eloy returns.   Try Vaughn for a while to see how he fares.

Yeah, why trade for a guy when we may have a guy on the team right now.  Give Vaughn a shot, if he shows he's not ready (no, 4 games isn't enough), then you can trade for someone.

8 hours ago, ron883 said:

Im in favor of starting a 2nd generation rebuild. We aren't beating the Dodgers anytime soon. Some of our guys have so much control and value that the return would be unprecedented. The Sox could assemble the greatest group of prospects in the history of the game. 

Tryna get them reactions

990.jpeg

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

Why is canha yuck?

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/mark-canha/11445/stats?position=OF
Because he’s had one really good season in his entire career...?

He peaked at thirty and has been in a decline the last two years.  He does fit the incremental upgrade definition, but would he really provide a better performance than Vaughn?

Edited by caulfield12

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/mark-canha/11445/stats?position=OF
Because he’s had one really good season in his entire career...?

He peaked at thirty and has been in a decline the last two years.  He does fit the incremental upgrade definition, but would he really provide a better performance than Vaughn?

He was in decline in 2019 with a 147 wRC+? 

He was 15% better than average hitter in 2018, 50% better in 2019 and 30% better in 2020.

Seems better than “yuck”

Josh from Soxmachine suggested that David Peralta was a "future White Sox" due to him checking a number of boxes (left handed, on a cheap deal, eminently obtainable).

I kind of hate it but since it's an unimpressive, temporary bandage on a self-inflicted wound, it's the most White Sox thing that can happen and is virtually guaranteed.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

He was in decline in 2019 with a 147 wRC+? 

He was 15% better than average hitter in 2018, 50% better in 2019 and 30% better in 2020.

Seems better than “yuck”

How many veteran hitters have suddenly improved at roughly age 32/33 after joining the White Sox?

And, once again, he’s not a positive defender, either.

Finally, he’s the perfect platoon or role player for the A’s, who still see themselves as competing for a playoff spot.  So what’s their incentive to make the deal other than us overpaying for past production? 

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, daggins said:

Josh from Soxmachine suggested that David Peralta was a "future White Sox" due to him checking a number of boxes (left handed, on a cheap deal, eminently obtainable).

I kind of hate it but since it's an unimpressive, temporary bandage on a self-inflicted wound, it's the most White Sox thing that can happen and is virtually guaranteed.

At least this makes more sense because the Dbacks are dead in the water...and aren’t in great financial shape, either.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How many veteran hitters have suddenly improved at roughly age 32/33 after joining the White Sox?

And, once again, he’s not a positive defender, either.

Finally, he’s the perfect platoon or role player for the A’s, who still see themselves as competing for a playoff spot.  So what’s their incentive to make the deal other than us overpaying for past production? 

We don't need him to improve? He has been a near .400 obp player since 2019 now and he hits RHP better than LHP. Seems good.

Pretty sure he's a positive defender over Vaughn/Eloy

He's not a platoon player on the As. He's their starting OFer. And he's a free agent at the end of the year, stop me if you've heard of the A's trading pending FAs before.

But this is incredible analysis otherwise. It's easy for you to look up names, harder for you to know why you include them.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

We don't need him to improve? He has been a near .400 obp player since 2019 now and he hits RHP better than LHP. Seems good.

Pretty sure he's a positive defender over Vaughn/Eloy

He's not a platoon player on the As. He's their starting OFer. And he's a free agent at the end of the year, stop me if you've heard of the A's trading pending FAs before.

But this is incredible analysis otherwise. It's easy for you to look up names, harder for you to know why you include them.

Everyone is a better defender than those two, so that’s not much of a standard.

And I should have said he would likely end up a platoon player for the White Sox...because TLR.

The A’s never make these kinds of trades in the first three months of the season...for another.  $6.9 million is money the White Sox don’t even claim to have...or, if they do, they will wait as long as possible when there’s mo other choice. They will make a minor Band-Aid move and then claim Jimenez is their biggest possible addition at the deadline.

He had a 741 ops against RHP in 2020.  While he was much better in 2019, that looks like his peak performance.  And my comment was that every time we bring in a veteran hitter in that age 32-33 range, they immediately forget how to play the game after joining the Sox.

In a lot of ways, Canha is one of those guys like Eaton or even Eddie Rosario in the $7-8 million range that are pretty decent but not great players.  Complementary.

But the way he’s hitting now, the White Sox would have to pay a premium.

While it’s possible the Angels and Astros are better than expected, the A’s are usually a second half team and there’s little reason to think they would easily part with him after recovering in the last week from their very rough start.  They definitely have the starting pitching depth, if they can stay healthy, to match up all season long with inferior Angels and Astros starting staffs. 

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

I like that caulfield included Ian Desmond even though he opted out and basically retired

I just copied the MLB Trade Rumors FA list of every possible player for LF that will be a free agent this winter.

Guess it hasn’t been updated to reflect that change yet.

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Calhoun, Marte, Polanco, Haniger, Bryant. Gallo, Blackmon.

There are others who may be more likely/reasonable than others.  But we know one thing so far: Nick Williams is not the answer.  I'm not sold on Billy Hamilton being the answer either.  If the Sox plan on competing and even making it to the playoffs, they're going to have to so something to fill the very obvious hole in the lineup.

Ya think?  I can't even believe these guys are on the roster. I thought the Sox were done with tank mode? 

The Sox will just mix and match guys like they have been for the first couple weeks. Hopefully they are still in the thick of it come July and can flip a couple of the high school arms for Kris Bryant. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, daggins said:

Peralta can hit.  He'd be a massive upgrade over the current situation if Vaughn isn't going to get a fair shake.

They should just let Vaughn play LF, tho.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Peralta can hit.  He'd be a massive upgrade over the current situation if Vaughn isn't going to get a fair shake.

They should play Vaughn. And I also noticed Peralta is signed through 2022 so that would be a pretty good asset to have.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Start Vaughn.

On April 14th, this is the only answer.  

There won’t be any trades for anyone this early in the season, nor should there be.  There are many a World Series champion which were slow to get out of the gate.  

We have the pieces.  TA will be back soon.  Yermin is at least filling the offensive void left by Eloy for now.  

Just be patient and watch our very talented roster catch fire, and we’ll all be off to the races to what will be a very exciting season.  But LaRussa needs to start playing Vaughn more regularly and soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I feel like the "let Vaughn play and trade for Peralta" can both happen. No one is making real trades 11 games into the season, so we're likely best to try Vaughn in left to see what we have *until* we can find another team that has decided that want to start making trades. I just don't think that will happen in April.