White Sox running almost exactly MLB average payroll

caulfield12

2 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

This is kind of why I wouldn’t be opposed to Rebuild 2.0. I just wish we had a new owner who’ll spend money once the young talent started to thrive. 

14 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

I can't wait until the next rebuild.  TA and Giolito should get some top notch prospects.

You...you guys can't be serious right? This has to be sarcasm...or trolling.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

Not at all.  Those guys will get paid, but not by the White Sox. (not saying they should be traded now, obviously)

Yeah, if the Sox win fewer than 81 games this year, then they should trade TA and Gio this winter. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

If the Sox did a rebuild 2.0, I'd have to take a long hard look at spending so much of my time following and watching this team.  Would be just a terrible set of circumstances.

That being said, there is no chance that is happening right now.  

The sad thing to me is that the real competition determining who wins and loses does not happen on the field playing the game but in front offices with executives spending money.

Even if my team were upper tier, how depressing it is to have to be rooting for and against a bunch of greedy suits and ties.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

If the Sox did a rebuild 2.0, I'd have to take a long hard look at spending so much of my time following and watching this team.  Would be just a terrible set of circumstances.

That being said, there is no chance that is happening right now.  

I am as die hard a fan as anyone. I love the Chicago White Sox. If they rebuild again, bye bye. I'm not going through 3-5 more years of intentional losing. We were promised this rebuild would bring SUSTAINED winning. That was the point of it. Nope, if this rebuild doesn't workout and they have to do another one, I will occupy my time with something else. 

I cannot believe people actually want this to happen. They must have just hopped on the train or something and started following the team.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SpringfieldFan said:

The sad thing to me is that the real competition determining who wins and loses does not happen on the field playing the game but in front offices with executives spending money.

Even if my team were upper tier, how depressing it is to have to be rooting for and against a bunch of greedy suits and ties.

See Cleveland Indians, Rays or A’s attempting to compete consistently with some of the lowest payrolls in MLB.

I can’t even imagine being an Indians’ fan...being $81 million behind the White Sox and $74 million behind the Twins and still giving those teams an even battle.  Losing to the Cubs in 2016 after being up 3-1.  This has already been their 4th or even 5th rebuild since the glory days of the mid to late 90’s.

This is compared to incompetent franchises like the Pirates, Mariners, Rockies, Orioles, DBacks, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

36 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I am as die hard a fan as anyone. I love the Chicago White Sox. If they rebuild again, bye bye. I'm not going through 3-5 more years of intentional losing. We were promised this rebuild would bring SUSTAINED winning. That was the point of it. Nope, if this rebuild doesn't workout and they have to do another one, I will occupy my time with something else. 

I cannot believe people actually want this to happen. They must have just hopped on the train or something and started following the team.

Yeah.  I am with you.  I definitely would still be a die hard, but it'd be real kick to the nuts.  

I have sort of unique White Sox upbringing.  I've never actually lived in Illinois.  My dad is born and raised southsider and a DIEHARD White Sox fan.  So I grew up without a choice, and fell in love with the sox at a very young age and have been just as big of a die hard since childhood.  But due to my circumstances, I didn't really converse with Sox fans (other than my dad who is an extremely positive fan) that much until message boards as a teenager (I am now 30). But....the point I am trying to make, is that Sox fans are a negative bunch.  As a whole, they expect the worst.  You see it here everyday.  We're 11 games into the season that is widely considered the very beginning over our long contention window, and people are talking about tearing it down.  Its sad.  

30 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

If anyone “just hopped on a train” it’s someone who thinks the White Sox will pay fat contracts to their stars.  They better start winning in a hurry, tick tock.

So here are the concerns. 

1.) Any pitcher gets hurt that is costing any money.  That is like nails on a chalkboard for JR.  That might impact Gio and other long-term pitcher signings.

2.) Young players that we lock up falling off on production.

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah.  I am with you.  I definitely would still be a die hard, but it'd be real kick to the nuts.  

I have sort of unique White Sox upbringing.  I've never actually lived in Illinois.  My dad is born and raised southsider and a DIEHARD White Sox fan.  So I grew up without a choice, and fell in love with the sox at a very young age and have been just as big of a die hard since childhood.  But due to my circumstances, I didn't really converse with Sox fans (other than my dad who is an extremely positive fan) that much until message boards as a teenager (I am now 30). But....the point I am trying to make, is that Sox fans are a negative bunch.  As a whole, they expect the worst.  You see it here everyday.  We're 11 games into the season that is widely considered the very beginning over our long contention window, and people are talking about tearing it down.  Its sad.  

Probably because we have never made the playoffs in back to back years and have like 7 playoff appearances in 60 years. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Probably because we have never made the playoffs in back to back years and have like 7 playoff appearances in 60 years. 

Sure.  Understandable.  I've lived through the bad baseball too.  But if you can't enjoy solid baseball and can't see that this team is going to be pretty good for the next 5-7 years, maybe following the team isn't the best use of your time.  Not every situation needs to be viewed in the most negative angle possible, at all times.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Sure.  Understandable.  I've lived through the bad baseball too.  But if you can't enjoy solid baseball and can't see that this team is going to be pretty good for the next 5-7 years, maybe following the team isn't the best use of your time.  Not every situation needs to be viewed in the most negative angle possible, at all times.  

It does explain the pessimism amongst the fan base though. Being a losing organization for so long doesn't buy you leeway or the benefit of the doubt with fans. There is reason to be real excited about this team but we haven't seen them be good for a full season yet. So we wait. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It would have been really, really nice to see the playoff team last year, see the possibilities of the next 5-7 years, and then not receive a LaRussa Shaped kick to the side of the head.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It would have been really, really nice to see the playoff team last year, see the possibilities of the next 5-7 years, and then not receive a LaRussa Shaped kick to the side of the head.

Yeah, I didn't and still do NOT like the hire either. Certainly don't like the way the first 11 games have been managed.  But baseball is a marathon, not a sprint and the man will have the 2nd most wins of any manager in MLB history by seasons end. Me thinks he knows a thing or two about managing baseball games.  That said, he deserves the criticism he's received so far, but frankly, things probably look a whole lot different if he wasn't try to mix and match for Eloy and TA.  Any team loses 2 of their best players, things aren't going to go exactly how we drew it up all offseason.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I didn't and still do NOT like the hire either. Certainly don't like the way the first 11 games have been managed.  But baseball is a marathon, not a sprint and the man will have the 2nd most wins of any manager in MLB history by seasons end. Me thinks he knows a thing or two about managing baseball games.  That said, he deserves the criticism he's received so far, but frankly, things probably look a whole lot different if he wasn't try to mix and match for Eloy and TA.  Any team loses 2 of their best players, things aren't going to go exactly how we drew it up all offseason.  

That White Sox fanbase spent the entire offseason b*tching about the lack of depth behind guys with injury histories, to the point that Rick Hahn himself decided he needed to call out the "hot takes" on it because we said it over and over and over. So maybe when the fanbase literally spent 2 months of the offseason saying "hey the lack of depth is a problem and you promised the money would be spent, here's a perfect spot to do so", we're not going to take "no one could have anticipated these injuries" very well.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

... things probably look a whole lot different if he wasn't try to mix and match for Eloy and TA.  Any team loses 2 of their best players, things aren't going to go exactly how we drew it up all offseason.  

Isn't being able to manage around things like this the point of having a Hall of Fame Baseball Person? Honestly, my grandmother, who died in 1999, could manage the team with Anderson and Eloy and do just fine. I can also guarantee she would put out more competitive lineups than TLR has so far.