CLE @ SOX, 7:10 PM Central

BigHurt3515

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, huge fan of his despite being a limited player

He's looking more and more comfortable at the plate as well.  Making much more contact.  I think we will see some nice power numbers from Collins as the weather warms up.

6 minutes ago, wegner said:

He's looking more and more comfortable at the plate as well.  Making much more contact.  I think we will see some nice power numbers from Collins as the weather warms up.

The batting average will also go up at some point as a .188 BABIP is not sustainable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

That's number 307 in MLB history.

We've seen Humber, two from Buehrle, Giolito, Rodon...crazy.

Some franchises just have a couple...the Mets now have the longest stretch without one, and that's almost incomprehensible.

Don't forget Wilson Alvarez!?  Don't know how old you are. Just saying.  Haha

10 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Why is Vaughn playing today vs a tough RHP, @CaliSoxFanViaSWside? Wouldn't this have been a legit start for Williams?

Because LaRussa put him in the lineup and I am thrilled about it unlike children who don't understand that you have to give your bench some playing time early in the season when decisions have to be made soon on who to keep when guys come back from injuries. Do try to remember that there weren't a whole lot of people wanting Mercedes or Rodon around either. Scrubs can and do produce sometimes. The more production you get from scrubs the better your team is. And what better time to see if you can catch a little lightning in a bottle when a bunch of teams are hovering around .500. 

You have evidence that scrubs can produce right in front of your eyes with Yermin and our unwanted, often injured, 5th starter. There were also a lot of people here upset when we signed Eaton and thought he was a scrub and he is also doing pretty well. Everyone knew McCann sucked until he didn't. So please try to contain yourself when Vaughn gets a hit against a pitcher who had nothing today.

Also look at the Dodgers who have constantly found diamonds in the rough with guys like Max Muncy who was 27 when he started hitting with the Dodgers, Justin Turner who was 29 when he broke out, Chris Taylor had 3 nothing seasons before he broke out and now some 33rd round draft 2016 draft pick named Zach McKinstry along with all those other guys are helping the Dodgers win while Bellinger is out.

Granted there are differences between the Dodgers and the White Sox . The Dodger's managed to find all these guys while still fielding good teams. The Sox during a rebuild didn't find anyone they could keep for contending years unless Mercedes is the real thing. Also the Dodgers guys are all pretty damn versatile except for Turner . The Dodgers also make a habit of picking up guys like that who are in their mid 20's who they could keep around for years. Williams fits that bill but Lamb and Hamilton do not. They also wouldn't find themselves in a position to play a rookie who has no time beyond A ball and force feed him MLB pitching. They found their diamonds among experienced minor league players who had various limited time in the Majors who had versatility.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Because LaRussa put him in the lineup and I am thrilled about it unlike children who don't understand that you have to give your bench some playing time early in the season when decisions have to be made soon on who to keep when guys come back from injuries. Do try to remember that there weren't a whole lot of people wanting Mercedes or Rodon around either. Scrubs can and do produce sometimes. The more production you get from scrubs the better your team is. And what better time to see if you can catch a little lightning in a bottle when a bunch of teams are hovering around .500. 

You have evidence that scrubs can produce right in front of your eyes with Yermin and our unwanted, often injured, 5th starter. There were also a lot of people here upset when we signed Eaton and thought he was a scrub and he is also doing pretty well. Everyone knew McCann sucked until he didn't. So please try to contain yourself when Vaughn gets a hit against a pitcher who had nothing today.

Also look at the Dodgers who have constantly found diamonds in the rough with guys like Max Muncy who was 27 when he started hitting with the Dodgers, Justin Turner who was 29 when he broke out, Chris Taylor had 3 nothing seasons before he broke out and now some 33rd round draft 2016 draft pick named Zach McKinstry along with all those other guys are helping the Dodgers win while Bellinger is out.

Let's be real. Williams ain't gonna be here long no matter what. There is no need to get an extended look at him over Vaughn. Rodon and Mercedes always had talent, but relying on them to be big contributors this year was not something fans or the team should have felt completely confident in coming into the season. It is working out well so far because they have remained healthy and are producing. Those two were never about the talent in itself. 

11 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Let's be real. Williams ain't gonna be here long no matter what. There is no need to get an extended look at him over Vaughn. Rodon and Mercedes always had talent, but relying on them to be big contributors this year was not something fans or the team should have felt completely confident in coming into the season. It is working out well so far because they have remained healthy and are producing. Those two were never about the talent in itself. 

I never said an extended look . A few games to see if you could catch lightning in a bottle while guys are injured and teams are bunched at  or near .500 . If Vaughn  had produced from the get go we aren't even having this conversation. I think it's unreasonable to expect him to hit MLB pitching well at this point in his career and I think those expecting him in the lineup everyday expect too much from him right away. It's no great sin to sit him down and watch a few games and let things slow down a bit. But of course because I said play Williams over him against RHP it has to mean I meant do it all the time against RHP when it does not . It also doesn't mean I hate Vaughn . He's got a great approach . I want him to produce against MLB pitching right away too but it's a lot to ask . I wouldn't throw my child in the deep end of the pool either to see if he sinks of swims without some swimming lessons first.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Granted there are differences between the Dodgers and the White Sox . The Dodger's managed to find all these guys while still fielding good teams. The Sox during a rebuild didn't find anyone they could keep for contending years unless Mercedes is the real thing. Also the Dodgers guys are all pretty damn versatile except for Turner . The Dodgers also make a habit of picking up guys like that who are in their mid 20's who they could keep around for years. Williams fits that bill but Lamb and Hamilton do not. They also wouldn't find themselves in a position to play a rookie who has no time beyond A ball and force feed him MLB pitching. They found their diamonds among experienced minor league players who had various limited time in the Majors who had versatility.

You get *thrilled* about watching Nick Williams hit 5th in the lineup & play more than the #3 overall pick? 😅😅

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You get *thrilled* about watching Nick Williams hit 5th in the lineup & play more than the #3 overall pick? 😅😅

The biggest adjustment for Vaughn will be learning to handle being a primary DH. He’s a solid defensive first baseman, but first base belongs to reigning MVP Jose Abreu. The hope is for Vaughn to play in the field around two days a week, and he has also worked out this spring in the outfield and at third base.

“It’s always a concern because you look at a lot of veteran guys from the National League that go into that DH role in the American League,’’ (Kenny) Williams said, “and struggle with it. We are aware of that. Tony is very aware of that. So we’re fortunate we have a team guy like Jose Abreu that understands that and says, 'Hey, this guy is pretty good over at first base.' "

Vaughn said he’s preparing himself for any role, and working every day with Hall of Famer Jim Thome, a White Sox assistant, is a privilege, helping him understand the nuances of life as a DH.https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2021/03/24/mlb-rosters-white-sox-dont-plan-hold-back-prospect-andrew-vaughn/4801933001/

AS you can see here if you bother to read it , the plan never was to play him every day and Vaughn himself said he is preparing for any role. The plan was to play him a couple days a week at DH but that belongs to Mercedes now. But please continue to be amused that backups need to play and that you might be asking too much in expecting Vaughn to make an impact right away. I don't want him to fail but I'm also not expecting him to do things he may not yet be ready to do. If that's funny to you then continue on thinking your OPINION is any more relevant then mine while I will continue to respect your OPINION . I just won't agree with it.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The biggest adjustment for Vaughn will be learning to handle being a primary DH. He’s a solid defensive first baseman, but first base belongs to reigning MVP Jose Abreu. The hope is for Vaughn to play in the field around two days a week, and he has also worked out this spring in the outfield and at third base.

“It’s always a concern because you look at a lot of veteran guys from the National League that go into that DH role in the American League,’’ (Kenny) Williams said, “and struggle with it. We are aware of that. Tony is very aware of that. So we’re fortunate we have a team guy like Jose Abreu that understands that and says, 'Hey, this guy is pretty good over at first base.' "

Vaughn said he’s preparing himself for any role, and working every day with Hall of Famer Jim Thome, a White Sox assistant, is a privilege, helping him understand the nuances of life as a DH.https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2021/03/24/mlb-rosters-white-sox-dont-plan-hold-back-prospect-andrew-vaughn/4801933001/

AS you can see here if you bother to read it , the plan never was to play him every day and Vaughn himself said he is preparing for any role. The plan was to play him a couple days a week at DH but that belongs to Mercedes now. But please continue to be amused that backups need to play and that you might be asking too much in expecting Vaughn to make an impact right away. I don't want him to fail but I'm also not expecting him to do things he may not yet be ready to do. If that's funny to you then continue on thinking your OPINION is any more relevant then mine while I will continue to respect your OPINION . I just won't agree with it.

I'm not sure how you can be so obtuse. No one doubts that bench players should play on occasion. The key words there are "on occasion," not "most days." Williams deserves to play every day in the minors or once a week in the MLB. The fact that you are THRILLED to watch him is quite mind blowing. Truly, what is it about Nick Williams that makes you thrilled to watch him? Whatever it is I bet you've been disappointed so far because he fucking sucks. I also don't believe Vaughn will be great instantly, but I think the odds of his production being better than the production of NICK WILLIAMS in 2021 are better.

Edited by soxfan49
  • Like 1