Madrigal.

Greydawgfan1

18 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Wish I could see said triple without watching the whole awful slaughter of a game.

Yeah same. If only they had some sort of system where they could take clips of the high points of the game and clip them so we could just watch those. Maybe they could even use some sort of social media platform to distribute said clips. hmmmm, maybe a start-up idea? 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, tray said:

How about comparing Yogi Berra  (who was Madrigal's height) a 15 time all Star to Madrigal based only on his height? 

A 64 win catcher?  Bill Shoemaker was also the same height, and a bonafide legend.  Book it.

4 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I don’t think OPS has anything to do with Madrigal’s game or contributions.  It should never be used in evaluating him or comparing him to others.  Just my .02

Stats need not apply if it is a player we like.  

4 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

His value is turning over the lineup and getting on base

12th out of 25 qualified second basemen in "turning over the lineup and getting on base".  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

A 64 win catcher?  Bill Shoemaker was also the same height, and a bonafide legend.  Book it.

Stats need not apply if it is a player we like.  

12th out of 25 qualified second basemen in "turning over the lineup and getting on base".  

Why apply a stat to Madrigal that is 50% composed of slugging, a thing he doesn’t do?  That’s simply madness.  

While I do think Madrigal will eventually start slugging way more than people think (extra bases not so much homers), I’m not going to see where his ISO, fly ball and launch angles rank amongst second basemen.  

Buehrle didn’t strike people out- did he suck?

Hopefully he puts a lot of extra work  into his defensive play. The kid can hit and he can make himself a good defensive 2nd baseman.  He does not seem to have great quickness so his technique and positional play are important. A team with numerous power hitters needs OBP guys to supplement run production. 

2 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Yeah same. If only they had some sort of system where they could take clips of the high points of the game and clip them so we could just watch those. Maybe they could even use some sort of social media platform to distribute said clips. hmmmm, maybe a start-up idea? 

There’s no highlight video on mlb’s White Sox app showing Madrigals triple. It isn’t even shown in the consolidated game, from what I could tell at least. 😆

2 hours ago, GREEDY said:

Wow, hes only had 150 at bats in the major leagues and hes already doing better than half of the second basemen out there? Amazing

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gusguyman said:

I bet MLB could even sell it prematurely in a few years instead of keeping it in house and using it brand things like NFTs.

35 minutes ago, hi8is said:

There’s no highlight video on mlb’s White Sox app showing Madrigals triple. It isn’t even shown in the consolidated game, from what I could tell at least. 😆

I can't find that highlight either. Madrigal hit a hard line drive that rang around the RF corner. He made it to third easily.

Edited by tray

I think I've said this before. If you have 9 Madrigals in your lineup, you'll have an awful offense. However, having one of them amongst a lineup of powerful free swingers is very useful. When he comes up with runners on base, you have a good chance that he won't kill the rally.

• Like 1

Per Statcast:

• K % = 100th percentile
  • Hard Hit = 3rd percentile
  • BB Rate = 24th percentile
  • Sprint Speed = 75th percentile (was 71st just a few days ago and 78th last year)
  • Outs Above Average = 9th percentile (was 86th percentile last year)

The talk of him having poor speed was greatly exaggerated here, even if he’s the not speed demon scouting reports had him hyped up to be at the time of the draft.  Defensively he’s been abysmal this year, but it’s a small sample size and last year OAA actually liked him.  Either way, I see him developing into a slightly above average defensive 2B when all it said & done at a minimum with some upside beyond that.

Offensively, we all know the contact ability is legit, but hitting a bunch of soft singles isn’t going to be enough.  He’s got to find a way to hit with a bit more authority like he did the other day and rack up some doubles and/or start drawing more walks.  I think that happens and he becomes a pretty damn valuable player, even if we’ll all still be wishing we took Kelenic instead.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GREEDY said:

I didn't know we were judging on a dozen or so games in 2021 only. I guess we should be benching Abreu too. 

38 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I think I've said this before. If you have 9 Madrigals in your lineup, you'll have an awful offense. However, having one of them amongst a lineup of powerful free swingers is very useful. When he comes up with runners on base, you have a good chance that he won't kill the rally.

Agreed.

30 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I didn't know we were judging on a dozen or so games in 2021 only. I guess we should be benching Abreu too. 

I reacted to your judging.  Small sample size only applies to the haters here.

9 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Wow, hes only had 150 at bats in the major leagues and hes already doing better than half of the second basemen out there? Amazing

In his greatest strength.  Now do literally every other aspect of the game.  Amazing.

58 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I've seen this said many times and I just don't buy it.  I'd put a lineup of 9 Madrigals vs. any lineup in baseball all day long.  On a per game basis, you're looking at at about 12-14 hits, 4-5 walks, and 0 strikeouts.  People don't think that would produce a bunch of runs?

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

I've seen this said many times and I just don't buy it.  I'd put a lineup of 9 Madrigals vs. any lineup in baseball all day long.  On a per game basis, you're looking at at about 12-14 hits, 4-5 walks, and 0 strikeouts.  People don't think that would produce a bunch of runs?

You have to string hits together just to get one run, and 3+ run innings will almost never happen. You can't win in today's game without power.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

I think your estimates are severely off unless you are using personal projections that making Nick the greatest on base player in the history of the game.

• Thanks 1

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

You have to string hits together just to get one run, and 3+ run innings will almost never happen. You can't win in today's game without power.

Not true at all, because your 27 outs are all balls in play.  Runner(s) would be advancing on most at bats.  There would be plenty of 1-hit innings that would result in a run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1