14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nick Madrigal update:

• wRC+ = 121
  • OPS = .765
  • K % = 100th percentile
  • OAA = 62nd percentile
  • Sprint Speed = 79th percentile
  • fWAR = 0.5 (~3 win FY pace)

In other words, Nicks already a really solid baseball player. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nick Madrigal update:

• wRC+ = 121
  • OPS = .765
  • K % = 100th percentile
  • OAA = 62nd percentile

Manager update: Manager did not start his 121 wRC+ 2B in 5 of 29 games.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nick Madrigal update:

• wRC+ = 121
  • OPS = .765
  • K % = 100th percentile
  • OAA = 62nd percentile

Also, in two seasons thus far, 54 games and 192 AB's: BA .328, OBP .374 and only 11 K's.  IDK, but if we you told the day Hahn drafted Nick with the #4 overall pick in 2018, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't be ecstatic to have a player with these numbers in his second season. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

Also, in two seasons thus far, 54 games and 192 AB's: BA .328, OBP .374 and only 11 K's.  IDK, but if we you told the day Hahn drafted Nick with the #4 overall pick in 2018, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't be ecstatic to have a player with these numbers in his second season. 

Yup, and both the defense & base-running have radically improved since an ugly start.  He looks like a nice piece to the puzzle even if his ceiling will always be capped due to a lack of power.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, and both the defense & base-running have radically improved since an ugly start.  He looks like a nice piece to the puzzle even if his ceiling will always be capped due to a lack of power.

I still believe he will land in the 5 to 10 HR range annually in his career.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I still believe he will land in the 5 to 10 HR range annually in his career.

I don't know about that. I'm not sure he has hit a ball 350 ft yet in his whole career .Until I start seeing him pull some balls in the air it's hard to imagine him ever getting 5 in a season . I'm not even sure he has ever doubled into the left field corner yet on a fly ball. But things do change so I hope you're right.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't know about that. I'm not sure he has hit a ball 350 ft yet in his whole career .Until I start seeing him pull some balls in the air it's hard to imagine him ever getting 5 in a season . I'm not even sure he has ever doubled into the left field corner yet on a fly ball. But things do change so I hope you're right.

He's going to need to, because he's being heavily shaded to right field and has already lost a few hits.

1 hour ago, ejm3 said:

He can't hit home runs. Your argument is invalid!

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If he ends up eventually hitting 2nd in the lineup daily, who cares how many HR's he hits. We just need him to be consistently over .300 with a good OBP and plays great defense...which he has been lately, then we'll be fine. I think eventually he will learn to take more walks and that will make him even more dangerous. Or would you rather play Leury Garcia at 2B?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

He can't hit home runs. Your argument is invalid!

Totally valid! First of all, Nick didn't hit home runs in college. Secondly, Rick Hahn didn't draft him Nick to hit HR's. Hahn drafted him to be a solid .300 hitter and play a great 2B. You need look at college numbers since he was one of the top hitters in college baseball and then you will understand why Hahn drafted him. He didn't hit home runs. Thirdly, since when is the requirement to hit home runs from the 2B position? When we have our entire team healthy, we will have plenty of HR production from Abreu, Eloy and Robert and what should have been Grandal and hopefully Vaughn in the future. 

Nicks college numbers over 3 years:

Year Team POS AVG OBP SLG OPS GP AB R H 2B 3b HR RBI HP BB SO SB CS
2016     .333 .380 .456 .836 49 195 38 65 11 5 1 29 1 15 14 8 2
2017     .380 .449 .532 .981 60 237 53 90 20 2 4 40 6 27 16 16 4
2018   INF .367 .428 .511 .939 42 180 41 66 9 4 3 34 4 16 7 15 1
Edited by ejm3
  • Haha 2

Just now, ejm3 said:

Not invalid at all! First of all, Nick didn't hit home runs in college. Secondly, Rick Hahn didn't draft him Nick to hit HR's. Hahn drafted him to be a solid .300 hitter and play a great 2B. You need look at college numbers since he was one of the top hitters in college baseball and then you will understand why Hahn drafted him. He didn't hit home runs. Thirdly, since when is the requirement to hit home runs from the 2B position? When we have our entire team healthy, we will have plenty of HR production from Abreu, Eloy and Robert and what should have been Grandal and hopefully Vaughn in the future. 

I was being facetious. 

19 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

If he ends up eventually hitting 2nd in the lineup daily, who cares how many HR's he hits. We just need him to be consistently over .300 with a good OBP and plays great defense...which he has been lately, then we'll be fine. I think eventually he will learn to take more walks and that will make him even more dangerous. Or would you rather play Leury Garcia at 2B?

I was only commenting on a post that said he would eventually hit 5-10 per year in his career . I disagreed. I did not critique Madrigal in any other way. Chill.

20 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

Ok fine! I get sarcasm but it didn't come over that way.

I guess I hoped the exclamation mark might do it, lol. My bad. 

Yeah, the notion that he has to hit HRs to be worthy of his drafted position is just silly to me. 

4 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I guess I hoped the exclamation mark might do it, lol. My bad. 

Yeah, the notion that he has to hit HRs to be worthy of his drafted position is just silly to me. 

Cool, No worries and I agree with you. The bottom line we both agree Madrigal is solid.

1 hour ago, ejm3 said:

Totally valid! First of all, Nick didn't hit home runs in college. Secondly, Rick Hahn didn't draft him Nick to hit HR's. Hahn drafted him to be a solid .300 hitter and play a great 2B. You need look at college numbers since he was one of the top hitters in college baseball and then you will understand why Hahn drafted him. He didn't hit home runs. Thirdly, since when is the requirement to hit home runs from the 2B position? When we have our entire team healthy, we will have plenty of HR production from Abreu, Eloy and Robert and what should have been Grandal and hopefully Vaughn in the future. 

You playing Bingo?

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I’ve seen him hit a ball to left 350 feet a couple times in lower levels. It’s there and he’s still young. Give him a year or two.

24 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I’ve seen him hit a ball to left 350 feet a couple times in lower levels. It’s there and he’s still young. Give him a year or two.

I was just using his MLB spray charts and saw  hardly anything pulled in the air ( it might have been nothing pulled in the air) into the LF corner. Like I said things can change so I'm fine with seeing what happens .  If I had to guess , yea sure, he might get a 5 HR season a few times in his career but 5-10 on a consistent basis I'd say no.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was just using his MLB spray charts and saw  hardly anything pulled in the air ( it might have been nothing pulled in the air) into the LF corner. Like I said things can change so I'm fine with seeing what happens .  If I had to guess , yea sure, he might get a 5 HR season a few times in his career but 5-10 on a consistent basis I'd say no.

Yea for whatever reason he most certainly hasn’t been hitting the ball to left with any regularity or authority in the bigs yet but he did in college and at other points in his journey up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This is cherry picking, but didn't Madrigal crush one off the scoreboard at the alternate site last summer? I remember reading reports that it was a no-doubter.

But that might be the difference in his chosen style of play - he might be able to uncork some Mighty Mouse power in practice games, but he keeps his compact high-contact swing for the actual games.

If that's the case, he might be able to loosen up and sacrifice a couple hits in the future for a little power that to keep the outfield honest.