Madrigal.

Greydawgfan1

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

I knew Durham was good but damn he had a 900 OPS in 2006 for the Giants. WTF

Look at Ray Ray Run!

Not as chronically underrated as Cameron because he wasn't as good, but Ray was incredibly underrated none the less. High OBP speed guy with some pop. A monster.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, tray said:

I disagree with those who decry bunting and small ball at every turn. They are the same folks that have a hard time accepting Madrigal's game.

Baseball is the same game it always was. You play to win by one run, any way you can get it.

In 2021, this statement is like, 104% incorrect. 

How are you so bad at this? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Look at Ray Ray Run!

Not as chronically underrated as Cameron because he wasn't as good, but Ray was incredibly underrated none the less. High OBP speed guy with some pop. A monster.

And deadly on popups into the outfield and down the RF line into foul territory...even though overall he didn't grade out as a great fielder.

41 minutes ago, Tony said:

Baseball is the same game it always was. You play to win by one run, any way you can get it.

You choose to bold the quote to alter the intended meaning. Let me clear that up:

Baseball is the same game it always was (in the sense that) you play to win by one run, any way you can get it.

--- Nice try champ.

9 minutes ago, tray said:

You choose to bold the quote to alter the intended meaning. Let me clear that up:

Baseball is the same game it always was (in the sense that) you play to win by one run, any way you can get it.

--- Nice try champ.

Why would you not play to win by more than one run?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tray said:

--- Nice try champ.

Except NO ONE, ever, has played the game to win by one run. You play to score as many runs as possible. 

tenor.gif

• Like 4

Nick 'One Tool' Madrigal currently sits with:

A Sprint Speed in the 79th percentile

Outs Above Average in the 63rd Percentile

and a 118 wRC+. 

Firmly above average on both sides of the field, and an fWAR of 1.4. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Why would you not play to win by more than one run?

I can just see it now.

Tray is a little league coach.

Kid comes up in the last inning with the bases loaded losing by one.

Proceeds to hit a grand slam, gets back to the dugout ecstatic celebrating with his teammates.

Tray walks over:

"What are you doing, you IDIOT! Now we won by three, the goal is to win by one! Be better next time."

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

According to some experts here you cant use WAR to determine a players ability until the end of the season.

People can use it anyway they choose.

However, calculating "pace" (WAR * (162/Games Played)), especially this early in the season (WAR *3), is typically not an accurate predictor of final WAR, whether a player is hot or cold to start a season. 

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

People can use it anyway they choose.

However, calculating "pace" (WAR * (162/Games Played)), especially this early in the season (WAR *3), is typically not an accurate predictor of final WAR, whether a player is hot or cold to start a season. 

When you look at sample size and power, most season stats do not show good predictive value until around 145 games in a season.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

When you look at sample size and power, most season stats do not show good predictive value until around 145 games in a season.

WAR isn't a predictive stat and shouldn't be used that way anyways.  I mean you can try, but there are better ways like using the component stats and projections.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I just like the fact, that the hardest thing about hitting a baseball is making contact, is something he has mastered. They can and will make him stronger. I like his chances having a really nice career.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I just like the fact, that the hardest thing about hitting a baseball is making contact, is something he has mastered. They can and will make him stronger. I like his chances having a really nice career.

As I posted yesterday that fact that he's obviously made the tradeoff for more power at the expense of a little contact and is making it work is quite encouraging.  Quite a few guys try that at the MLB level and it never works.  Evan White is a good example.

15 hours ago, tray said:

Unless you have not watched Sox games this season, that statement comes off as being quite incredulous.

I’ve watched a ton of Sox games this season.

Look, I’m a fan of Madrigal, and I believe he will be a very solid major leaguer, but I also believe a scenario where he has a 55 hits in 200 AB stretch with 50 singles, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 1 homer and 6 BB is completely plausible. We just don’t know yet what the frequency of his power will be, and that seems to be the key to understanding his potential. 

If he did those numbers for his next 200 ABs, it would put his overall slash line for 2021 through roughly 400 PAs at .290/.322/.369/.691, which seems borderline to me. Do you agree?

54 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I’ve watched a ton of Sox games this season.

Look, I’m a fan of Madrigal, and I believe he will be a very solid major leaguer, but I also believe a scenario where he has a 55 hits in 200 AB stretch with 50 singles, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 1 homer and 6 BB is completely plausible. We just don’t know yet what the frequency of his power will be, and that seems to be the key to understanding his potential. 

If he did those numbers for his next 200 ABs, it would put his overall slash line for 2021 through roughly 400 PAs at .290/.322/.369/.691, which seems borderline to me. Do you agree?

I don’t think that scenario is very plausible. With 55 hits, I don’t think there’s any way that only 5 are of the extra base variety.