AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER CARLOS RODON NO HITTER EDITION!!!!!

ScootsMcGoots

Fantastic game all around.  Couldn't be happier for Carlos.  Also couldn't be happier that Abreu didn't tear some tendons trying to save the perfecto in the 9th!

Was it just me or was Perez taking that HBP pretty bush league?  It's not a situation you see often so I'm not sure there are necessarily "unwritten rules" regarding what's bush league and what isn't.  No doubt the slider was digging in at his feet but I really didn't see any effort to get out of the way.  My first reaction was that Lynn should throw at him tomorrow.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Seems like he’s using the change and curve to get ahead in the count this year but doesn’t want to use it with two strikes

I did notice that. I guess they thought if he missed with the slider, it wouldn't be a hittable pitch. Most of his change ups he threw for strikes in the zone.

1 minute ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Fantastic game all around.  Couldn't be happier for Carlos.  Also couldn't be happier that Abreu didn't tear some tendons trying to save the perfecto in the 9th!

Was it just me or was Perez taking that HBP pretty bush league?  It's not a situation you see often so I'm not sure there are necessarily "unwritten rules" regarding what's bush league and what isn't.  No doubt the slider was digging in at his feet but I really didn't see any effort to get out of the way.  My first reaction was that Lynn should throw at him tomorrow.

Perez even tried to sell it a bit after. Cause Eddings didn't immediately call the HBP.

Happy night. I held out in the promise of Rodon in the rotation, but definitely lost a lot of hope after the last injury. I felt like the organization had moved on from him even before the 2020 return, and I probably had at that point as well. I liked that the Sox got him back for this season as a roster option, and this is all just great to see. Congrats!

4 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Guy did nothing wrong, and even was kind of cool about it post game.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Guy did nothing wrong, and even was kind of cool about it post game.

On the one hand, these guys are all serious competitors and no one wants to be embarrassed.  If you have a chance to break up a no-no or perfect game, the instinct is to do it.

On the other hand, it's an 8-0 game, the opposing pitcher is chasing history, and, instead of using talent to beat him, you take a weak HBP to the foot that could have been avoided?

I don't know.  I lean toward it being little, if any, better than bunting to break up a no-no.  What'd he say post game?

4 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

On the one hand, these guys are all serious competitors and no one wants to be embarrassed.  If you have a chance to break up a no-no or perfect game, the instinct is to do it.

On the other hand, it's an 8-0 game, the opposing pitcher is chasing history, and, instead of using talent to beat him, you take a weak HBP to the foot that could have been avoided?

I don't know.  I lean toward it being little, if any, better than bunting to break up a no-no.  What'd he say post game?

Took that last sentence to mean it's a bummer but I wasn't trying to get hit. If you don't recognize the pitch you're probably not gonna move your back foot. Seems hard to believe he didn't know it was a perfect game lol but you never know

I seem to remember a game when I was younger where Jerry Hairston broke up a no hitter late and some people at Sox park booed him.  I remember being upset that they would boo a Sox player for getting a hit.  If you want a no hitter, then get Jerry Hairston out dammit.  Just like Carlos got Luplow out for a 4th time tonight.

Edited by wegner
mispell
  • Like 1

I thought off of spring training that Rodon should have been ahead of Cease in the rotation. If this is the new Carlos Rodon, he'd have to be in the top 3. I hope he's going to be fine all year, because what he's throwing will play very well.  I think the Sox should even extend him. 

Jose risking his health to slide in there and protect the Perfect is what team sports is all about.  You know that guy has done nothing but shut me the fuck up about his performance since he signed the extension and he is the soul of this club.  He makes you proud to be a Sox fan.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

+18 differential now, good for 2nd in AL and 4th in MLB.  It hasn't been a great start, but given the injuries and the mistakes I think the talent is still evident.  

Just need the offense and the bullpen sharpness to be there. The Sox have been in every single game. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

+18 differential now, good for 2nd in AL and 4th in MLB.  It hasn't been a great start, but given the injuries and the mistakes I think the talent is still evident.  

Seems like whenever there is a tough loss the people of soxtalk turn that gamethread into a hyperbolic chamber with enough negative energy to fry Miss Cleo's chakra receptors, and the Sox follow it up with a ridiculously good performance. 

• Like 1