AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER CARLOS RODON NO HITTER EDITION!!!!!

ScootsMcGoots

Just now, ron883 said:

Seems like whenever there is a tough loss the people of soxtalk turn that gamethread into a hyperbolic chamber with enough negative energy to fry Miss Cleo's chakra receptors, and the Sox follow it up with a ridiculously good performance. 

Credit La Russa.  He has had the guys ready to play after tough losses so far this year.  Now, if he could just get them to play more consistently...wonder how he could do that...oh right, play the best players more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I thought off of spring training that Rodon should have been ahead of Cease in the rotation. If this is the new Carlos Rodon, he'd have to be in the top 3. I hope he's going to be fine all year, because what he's throwing will play very well.  I think the Sox should even extend him. 

Gio, lynn, rodon, kopech, keuchel ia my thoughts

• Haha 1

That was great. Congrats Rodon. I enjoyed watching him throw smoke in the ninth, too. ... And Yermin is too much to believe. Appears to be a natural hitter. Just play him every day with a few days off the rest of the season and see what we've got. He's amazing.

Kudos to Rodon though.

I'm so happy for the fandom here who were on the ledge after a tough loss last night. I thought half of them might be gone for either killing themselves or forming a lynch mob to string up LaRussa. A little perspective on the rigors of a long season always helps. Baseball is a lot like life in that way.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Quin said:

I think the wildest thing to me is that not only did we get Buehrle and Humber's perfect games, but Buehrle, Giolito, and Rodon's no-hitters were all one-batter away from perfection. It's not like E-Jax's walkathon no-hitter, they all came damn close.

Remember the Gavin floyd no hitter going in to the 9th. That would have been another one if ozzie had anderson in center field instead of nick swisher. 

I’ll admit I was a doubting Thomas. I was wishy washy on the reacquiring Rodon. I was thinking the Sox are taking the cheap way out again to fill a spot while we waited to see if Kopech, Cease, or Crotchet developed. And that very well may have been the plan. Who knows I think this WAS GREAT FOR A GREAT GUY WHO LITERALLY LOOKS REBORN. TJ SURGERY is guess is true that it can make your stronger. Throwing 97, 98 in the 9th? Amazing!! If this is the Rodon we drafted, this team could eventually become unstoppable if Dallas can get it together. Image a stretched out Kopech and or Crotchet and Cease progression continues. There won’t be enough starts to go around. Imagine the leverage at the trade deadline if we needed anyone. Hey, right now we are set, especially if Vaughn develops, he looked pretty good today in left. Players do get hurt as they, look at Jimenez, Anderson, Engle etc.  shit happens we’re ready and loaded. Anderson may be back this weekend Yermin still on fire, and Vaughn and Collins developing. Foster and Marshal also looked great. Big things coming this year!!!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm so happy for the fandom here who were on the ledge after a tough loss last night. I thought half of them might be gone for either killing themselves or forming a lynch mob to string up LaRussa. A little perspective on the rigors of a long season always helps. Baseball is a lot like life in that way.

How can you be happy for a lynch mob?   I read a post by a guy who was hoping JR would drop dead.  Others have  mocked TLaR incessantly.

One guy said yesterday that  he is now rooting against the White Sox. 

I am happy for real White Sox fans though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't missed a single freaking inning of 2021 white Sox baseball until I missed the whole game tonight. 

To be fair, I missed it because I was celebrating, *ahem*, passing my Ph.D. defense today!!! 

Apologies if this comes off as bragging, I'm just super excited and pissed and not a little bit drunk. Don't worry though, I'm watching the whole game from the start now 😅

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

I haven't missed a single freaking inning of 2021 white Sox baseball until I missed the whole game tonight. 

To be fair, I missed it because I was celebrating, *ahem*, passing my Ph.D. defense today!!! 

Apologies if this comes off as bragging, I'm just super excited and pissed and not a little bit drunk. Don't worry though, I'm watching the whole game from the start now 😅

Congrats, what field did you did your doctorate in? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Congrats, what field did you did your doctorate in? 

Officially Aerospace Engineering , but really applied math, specifically Artificial intelligence and machine learning.

So yeah, I'm definitely one of those Stat nerd baseball fans.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tray said:

How can you be happy for a lynch mob?   I read a post by a guy who was hoping JR would drop dead.  Others have  mocked TLaR incessantly.

One guy said yesterday that  he is now rooting against the White Sox. 

I am happy for real White Sox fans though.

I'm happy they were all here and didn't form the lynch mob. I took a lot of abuse and so did LaRussa. Me for suggesting Williams gets starts over Vaughn against RHP and LaRussa for actually doing it and then of course the Sox get shut out with a few scrubs in the lineup and everyone goes bonkers.

So early in the season is exactly the time you have to play some of your guys at the end of the bench. You have to find out once in a while if you can catch lightning in a bottle. They have to play sometime. After Anderson and Engel get back the Sox have some roster moves to make . You'd like to at least let Lamb and Williams be able to say they were given a small opportunity to contribute before they get sent down or DFA'd.  There's also the fact that early in the season a bunch of teams are all bunched together in the standings. It worked with Mercedes, Mendick came up and played well right away. Collins had early season success and he just caught the no hitter. One short season and now too many think every game is life and death and have no perspective at all.

There was a lot of good happening on the team before the no hitter, just have to be willing to see past the short sighted rage and preconceived notions about how they  are smarter than a Hall of Fame manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Credit La Russa.  He has had the guys ready to play after tough losses so far this year.  Now, if he could just get them to play more consistently...wonder how he could do that...oh right, play the best players more.

He could do that and will do that. But the best time to play others is early in the season when you have a lot of injuries and no one team is running away with the division, so when your good players do come back you can have a well informed opinion on who stays and who goes. There's also the chance that one of the scrubs steps up and makes your job easier on who to keep.

Remember Yermin wasn't exactly a household name at the beginning of the season , yet with that example right in front of our eyes, most of Sox fandom goes apeshit because LaRussa plays a couple of scrubs against one of the best pitchers in baseball. Could the Sox have won that game with Mercedes, Collins, Madrigal and Vaughn in the lineup ? We will never know but I was thrilled with Giolito's pitching which gets lost in the mob mentality of calling LaRussa a senile old drunk. It's pretty shameful behavior over 1 thrilling game in a long season when decisions have to be made soon on who to keep on your bench. Every managerial decision on who to play has more than 1 game implications. People here talk like the last 2 or 3 men on the bench should never play. Stop throwing tantrums and think beyond the moment once in a while. Show some maturity and realize before you turn 55 that experience matters and you realize how impetuous and reactionary you were when you were young.

Edit : And now another scrub, who most didn't want ,is stepping up to be a very good pitcher so far and has contributed to 2 wins and today was a NO Hitter. Where would this team be now without the scrubs Mercedes and Rodon stepping up ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Rodon's interview with Jason and Steve after the game was awesome.  He comes across as humble, down to earth, and very appreciative of his teammates.

It's just so cool to see this guy do what he did last night after everything he went through.  I swear he got better as the game went on.  Touching 99 mph on pitch 110 was awesome.

We all talk about Abreu's play in the 9th, and rightfully so, but who knew Leury's play at SS when he snatched that hard one-hopper would be so important.  And as someone else had pointed out, Moncada's play to end the game was not a gimme.  That ball was smoked.

• Like 2

https://www.mlb.com/video/every-out-from-rodon-s-no-no?t=key-moments

Every out in the game, 6 minute video.

Abreu, Garcia (two balls that were pretty difficult, Abreu handled the throw on one), Moncada (another errant throw handled) were probably the four toughest outs.  Another to Robert was made to look easy, and then a rocket but hit right at Vaughn.  Almost every ball to Andrew he barely had to move, but he caught them.

Tidbits:

The Indians have failed to score in 21 straight innings where they didn't start the inning with a runner on 2nd.

Combined last start by Lynn, Giolito, Rodon: 26 IP, 0 R, 8 H, 1 HBP, 2 BB, 26 K, 0.00 ERA, 0.38 WHIP, 13.0 K/BB

3 of the last 4 Sox no-hitters were caught by the backup catcher.

First time in franchise history with no-hitters in back-to-back seasons.

9 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

btw MLB Network right now

Pedro Martinez told Carlos it's an honor to talk to him 💕

When Pedro was talking about how he never threw a no hitter and how hard Rodon worked to get back, he started to get emotional.  the hour of coverage on MLBN of the no hitter was fantastic.  There were a couple of errors in reporting but it made for a great hour of television.

Also negates not trading for Joe Musgrove a little easier to tolerate after last week. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Congrats - you also are never allowed to watch another 2021 game live :)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I liked to thank the ump for that called 3rd strike on Chang for that out in the 9th on an inside pitch.

It was a bad call but I do think it's harder than it looks on screen when that slider starts so far outside and comes so far inside, may very well looks like it comes across the from edge of plate. 

Let's not forget how often Chris sale got hitters to swing at sliders that would hit them in the legs. What drives me nuts are straight fastballs that stay outside the entire time that an umpire gets wrong. Just insane.