Carlos Rodon Apology Thread

reiks12

The Sox front office  lost confidence in Carlos after he came in out of the bullpen and blew that game against the Tribe last Fall.

I suspect Jerry Reinsdorf may have  approved signing Carlos after Rick Hahn decided to DFA him.  Whoever made that decision, it was obviously a good call.

• Haha 1

Phil Humber pitched a perfect game. I always liked Rodon more than most, but it was time to non tender him when he was non tendered. His current form is extremely encouraging, but he has a history of things falling apart one way or another. Hopefully this time is different, and his career takes off, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tray said:

The Sox front office  lost confidence in Carlos after he came in out of the bullpen and blew that game against the Tribe last Fall.

I suspect Jerry Reinsdorf may have  approved signing Carlos after Rick Hahn decided to DFA him.  Whoever made that decision, it was obviously a good call.

Lmao wtf.  That's not this works 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Phil Humber pitched a perfect game. I always liked Rodon more than most, but it was time to non tender him when he was non tendered. His current form is extremely encouraging, but he has a history of things falling apart one way or another. Hopefully this time is different, and his career takes off, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Dick with the ice bucket challenge less than 24 hours after the no no 😂 

• Haha 2

Rodon is still figuring out how to pitch.  There was never a doubt that he was a major league pitcher do think otherwise is foolish.  He has been injured most of his career and as was talked about last night he was overused at NC State.  That may have permanently derailed his career which sucks.

I have been a huge Rodon fan since the day he was drafted so it was great to see last night.  No clue what happens next but I wanted the Sox to start him in game 3 of the playoffs.

If he is healthy he makes this rotation as good as any.

I think it is all context. Fans went into the offseason hoping for 2 big starting pitcher additions.  They got one.

I'm not sure anyone here wouldn't have wanted to give Los another chance.  I think they just preferred giving it to him as the #6 starter, or in a competition with Cease for the #5 spot.  

When fans aren't privy to the budget, the sky is the limit, and even those that were most bullish on Rodon would have preferred other options.  

Co-sign. The NC state hype and then all the terse interviews and injuries made me almost villainize him after thinking he was going to be the next sox ace. Now he has a year to help ride the Sox to the promised land and then get himself a phat payday. Good for him...but most importantly...good for the 2021 White Sox. 

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

For some money is a wonderful motivator. 

If he has a very good season and gets a lucrative contract for it, do you think he'd maintain his new production? If I were a team, I'd be terrified that after paying him he'd revert to his 2020 work ethic/self

11 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

If he has a very good season and gets a lucrative contract for it, do you think he'd maintain his new production? If I were a team, I'd be terrified that after paying him he'd revert to his 2020 work ethic/self

I'd be terrified as that team that he would get hurt again.  Hope he stays healthy this year to help out the Sox this year and get his payday.

11 minutes ago, wegner said:

I'd be terrified as that team that he would get hurt again.  Hope he stays healthy this year to help out the Sox this year and get his payday.

He isn't getting a long term deal from anyone unless he is Cy Young and even then it probably won't happen. He'll get a short deal with real good money if he pitches well. I am happy for him that this season has been a great success thus far, but I'll hold any apologies until the season plays out. 

29 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

He isn't getting a long term deal from anyone unless he is Cy Young and even then it probably won't happen. He'll get a short deal with real good money if he pitches well. I am happy for him that this season has been a great success thus far, but I'll hold any apologies until the season plays out. 

If he has a good year, not even a cy young caliber year, but a 2016 kind of year, he will get 3 years. Pitching situation is dire around the league.

54 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Let's be honest there probably wouldn't have been many more fans there last night on a 40 degree evening.

I was there and was saying the same thing. I was ready to leave in like the 5th until I realized a perfecto was still in play. 

1 minute ago, ThirdGen said:

This is the worst apology thread in history.  20 posts, three apologies!

I don't really see a need to apologize.

Carlos was frustrating more than others because he had a world of talent, which even aside from injuries, he wasn't putting together. Underperforming players, like Avi, are super frustrating.

But as with both, it's good to remember that it can all come together on a whim. The posters who I think were the smartest were ones who had the perspective that if a guy like carlos was from another team and DFA'd, he'd have been on all of our lists for a bounce back. But I was too jaded from the rodon experience to date. But there's no mystery as to how a pitcher like Rodon could succeed, the mystery was how he was so freakin bad.

Man, was anyone else at that sox-yankees game in 2015. I think it was the first game back after not trading Samardjiza or really any moves, but 2nd half of july the sox bats were on fire (yolmer was like a power hitter for 2 weeks), and we had an important homestand vs. the yankees to try to fight our way back, with Rodon on the mound.

It was like 12-0 yankees after 2 innings, and that was like 2 hours into the game. We just went to the bar as watching a bunch of sox players walk yankees before a home run was boring as hell.

ah, yeah, not as bad as I thought. I forgot LaRoche pitched:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2015/7/31/9083337/yankees-13-white-sox-6-adam-laroche-pitched

• Like 1