Carlos Rodon Apology Thread

reiks12

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Phil Humber pitched a perfect game. I always liked Rodon more than most, but it was time to non tender him when he was non tendered. His current form is extremely encouraging, but he has a history of things falling apart one way or another. Hopefully this time is different, and his career takes off, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

I remember Humber's perfect game, and I also remember him disappearing. The encouraging thing about Rodon was not only the no-hitter, but his velocity in the last inning. In addition he was still sharp and had great location. No sign of wear. Maybe he has finally turned a corner. The Sox will need him. Otherwise that ninth was a great thing to watch.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

If he has a good year, not even a cy young caliber year, but a 2016 kind of year, he will get 3 years. Pitching situation is dire around the league.

Yep 2 or 3 years at big money. If he stays healthy and performs on that deal he will still be young enough for one more big payday. 

So sorry Carlos!!!  

But my concern & criticism are also about durability.  If you can pitch ~130-150 innings effectively I will eat the entire crow.   

Watched all 3 interviews last night; nbcsn, espn, mlbn.  Was said that Katz has focused on his lower body mechanics just like Cease.  When I first heard that this is a staff focus for Katz back in Feb, it was so refreshing.  It seems to be a lost focus in modern baseball with so much arm strength.  Was also said how when in college and early pro, he was "slider, slider, slider" heavy and now he's changed his pitch selections to reduce them big time with more 4 seamers, curves, & changeups.  IMO, the slider heavy repertoire is what got his arm in trouble.  Katz "strikes" again!  Hopefully this will contribute big time with his durability.

A side note, SVP at espn asked him about "his" TLR office/locker shutout bet that TLR spoke about.  Since it was between TLR & Collins, Carlos "hadn't heard that one".  So clever espn, you really scooped that one!  Iddyats!

Edited by Rounding_Third

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/carlos-rodon-white-sox-cleveland-no-hitter-mlb-024941925.html

Looks like is really credit the change in mechanics (getting a lot more drive forward with the legs) as the reason for his success and growth in confidence in terms of putting less stress on the shoulder and elbow...a muscling up or arm pitcher rather than incorporating the full body swinging forward.

"I think a lot of that has made me more consistent with my fastball and my command of all my pitches.

“My mechanics have cleaned up a lot and taken a lot of stress off my body as a whole. It’s less stress on my arm the way I’m throwing now than I was before, because I utilize my lower half better. It just takes that energy, or that stress, out of my arm. I feel confident that it can carry me through a whole season.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

So sorry Carlos!!!  

But my concern & criticism are also about durability.  If you can pitch ~130-150 innings effectively I will eat the entire crow.   

Watched all 3 interviews last night; nbcsn, espn, mlbn.  Was said that Katz has focused on his lower body mechanics just like Cease.  When I first heard that this is a staff focus for Katz back in Feb, it was so refreshing.  It seems to be a lost focus in modern baseball with so much arm strength.  Was also said how when in college and early pro, he was "slider, slider, slider" heavy and now he's changed his pitch selections to reduce them big time with more 4 seamers, curves, & changeups.  IMO, the slider heavy repertoire is what got his arm in trouble.  Katz "strikes" again!  Hopefully this will contribute big time with his durability.

A side note, SVP at espn asked him about "his" TLR office/locker shutout bet that TLR spoke about.  Since it was between TLR & Collins, Carlos "hadn't heard that one".  So clever espn, you really scooped that one!  Iddyats!

And Kopech also looks a lot smoother, much more in rhythm in terms of repeatability and in control...if only we can fix Bummer and Crochet next, we’d be all set.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And Kopech also looks a lot smoother, much more in rhythm in terms of repeatability and in control...if only we can fix Bummer and Crochet next, we’d be all set.

Every pitching coach at all levels from HS to MLB should bio Tom Seaver's mechanics every spring to their staffs for durability and effectiveness.  Pitching poetry.

• Love 1

44 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't really see a need to apologize.

Carlos was frustrating more than others because he had a world of talent, which even aside from injuries, he wasn't putting together. Underperforming players, like Avi, are super frustrating.

But as with both, it's good to remember that it can all come together on a whim. The posters who I think were the smartest were ones who had the perspective that if a guy like carlos was from another team and DFA'd, he'd have been on all of our lists for a bounce back. But I was too jaded from the rodon experience to date. But there's no mystery as to how a pitcher like Rodon could succeed, the mystery was how he was so freakin bad.

Man, was anyone else at that sox-yankees game in 2015. I think it was the first game back after not trading Samardjiza or really any moves, but 2nd half of july the sox bats were on fire (yolmer was like a power hitter for 2 weeks), and we had an important homestand vs. the yankees to try to fight our way back, with Rodon on the mound.

It was like 12-0 yankees after 2 innings, and that was like 2 hours into the game. We just went to the bar as watching a bunch of sox players walk yankees before a home run was boring as hell.

ah, yeah, not as bad as I thought. I forgot LaRoche pitched:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2015/7/31/9083337/yankees-13-white-sox-6-adam-laroche-pitched

I was joking, I don't really see a need to apologize myself, even though I was fine with him being gone when he was let go last fall.  Just pointing out how a thread titled "Carlos Rodon Apology Thread" went completely off the rails into negativity.

On 4/15/2021 at 6:56 AM, Jose Abreu said:

If he has a very good season and gets a lucrative contract for it, do you think he'd maintain his new production? If I were a team, I'd be terrified that after paying him he'd revert to his 2020 work ethic/self

He'd have to have a really good year with no arm problems and no extended stay on the IL for injuries unrelated to his arm to get a multi year offer . 2 yrs, 3 yrs ? 30-$45M is about as high as I can see it going after a very good year.

The reality is that Rodon was released by the Sox front office (Hahn, et.al. ) . They waited for a month or two (according to Rodon himself during an interview with Garfein) before they  decided to sign him to a one year deal. Apparently, no other team made him an offer during that time period.

Historically, Jerry has shown a sense of loyalty to existing or former White Sox.  Rodon has been in the White Sox system for 5 or 6 years or so, I think.  I do not know for certain whether the organizational loyalty that Jerry has instilled in the front office contributed to them taking a second look at Rodon, but it would not surprise me if that came into play in some fashion. IMO, I doubt the Sox would have signed Rodon if he was from another organization.

So far, it looks like signing Carlos was a good move.  If he stays healthy and keeps pitching like he has been, it will be one of the FO's best signings.

Edited by tray

On 4/15/2021 at 8:42 AM, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/carlos-rodon-white-sox-cleveland-no-hitter-mlb-024941925.html

Looks like is really credit the change in mechanics (getting a lot more drive forward with the legs) as the reason for his success and growth in confidence in terms of putting less stress on the shoulder and elbow...a muscling up or arm pitcher rather than incorporating the full body swinging forward.

"I think a lot of that has made me more consistent with my fastball and my command of all my pitches.

“My mechanics have cleaned up a lot and taken a lot of stress off my body as a whole. It’s less stress on my arm the way I’m throwing now than I was before, because I utilize my lower half better. It just takes that energy, or that stress, out of my arm. I feel confident that it can carry me through a whole season.”

That's pretty ironic given all we heard out of NC State was how much drive he had with his lower body.  Don Cooper was a fucking disaster the last few years.  There is a lot of evidence he was actively preventing higher velocities and wanted no part of any sort of bio-mechanical approach to pitching.  "Stand tall and throw first pitch fastball strike" might have worked for Matt Thornton and others but guys need more these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Its just good health. He said his body hasn’t felt this good in a long time .

And that’s also due to cleaning up his mechanics and using his strong lower body to alleviate stress on his arm/shoulder/elbow.  They’re interrelated, clearly.  It’s also why he was able to hit 99 his last inning, as he has never been known for having great stamina in the big leagues due to high early pitch counts.