It’s Tim Fucking Anderson day!

Greydawgfan1

Just now, ptatc said:

They have to hope that Garcia isn't next up in the lineup then. Or on the bench as the supersub.

The 2B-SS-3B aren't going to play every day. Even in a best case scenario your backup IF is getting at least 1-2 starts per week. The value of Mendick over Garcia getting all those plate appearances outweighs the very rare situations where Hamilton pinch-running earns you a run that Garcia or Engel wouldn't get you.

If you trust Giolito, Lynn and Rodon to continue working late into games, you can shorten the bullpen by one and keep both.

3 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

The 2B-SS-3B aren't going to play every day. Even in a best case scenario your backup IF is getting at least 1-2 starts per week. The value of Mendick over Garcia getting all those plate appearances outweighs the very rare situations where Hamilton pinch-running earns you a run that Garcia or Engel wouldn't get you.

If you trust Giolito, Lynn and Rodon to continue working late into games, you can shorten the bullpen by one and keep both.

Unless you're this guy...

Ripken.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You can say it all you want. It's not happening. They want a real 3B and an LH hitter. None of the others are real 3B.

LOL hey you best be careful Ptatc . You're going to be in the same boat with me because I suggested Williams needed a few ABs against RHP's to see if we could catch lightning in a bottle and give Vaughn a chance to take some pressure off of him. Now all the people who think that was stupid are celebrating and laughing at everything I say because Williams was DFA'd.

To me it's pretty petty because he got his chances and he blew it. Being DFA'd was just the result and the process of those AB's. That's the life of a scrub, produce in small sample sizes or be gone. I wouldn't be so petty or vindictive if Vaughn  gets sent to the minors eventually. I want every Sox player to do well including every guy from the bench who get's a chance to play. But then again you're not suggesting a prize rookie get a few games off even though it's been happening all season.

The prevailing opinion was if Vaughn is here give him everyday AB's or just send him down. Everyone is pissed at the Sox and LaRussa for doing neither and I'm a dope for agreeing with the Sox and LaRussa so I'm the board fall guy just for stating my opinion . If Vaughn sucks hitting or makes crucial errors in the OF I won't be happy about or feel better that I was right  because I do really want him to be great just as all my detractors do so I put myself in a lose lose situation. There would be no reason to gloat over Vaughns failure when others gloat over Williams failure . I don't feel bad because Williams failed I knew it was a long shot he produces in games .I feel bad because other "fans" choose to gloat over any Sox player's failures. I thought we all wanted to win games not be right about differences of opinion.

: Edit: See what I mean, another haha emoji  when I take the time to say what I feel. Pretty sad that has to happen. I'm not sad myself ,sad for the quality of the board driving guys like SS2K5 away again . I don't agree with everything he ever said but he is a quality poster who I respected. Not enough respect here lately. Pretty much the worst I've seen it in over 15 years here.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The questions will be Lamb or Hamilton. I don't see anyway Mendick makes the cut until Leury get injured.

Leury and Medick are redundant with Leury being a switch hitter and able to play the OF, that gives him the advantage

It better be Lamb for Engel.  Today, Mendick has a career line of  .306/.350/.454/.804 against RHP, team chem, and can play 3 positions.  His minimal power isn't missed in this order.  At least it shouldn't be when the others turn it it up.  1B is covered by Vaughn, Collins, & Grandal.  And with Collins's LH bat, Lamb is repeatedly redundant.

Edited by Rounding_Third
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The questions will be Lamb or Hamilton. I don't see anyway Mendick makes the cut until Leury get injured.

Leury and Medick are redundant with Leury being a switch hitter and able to play the OF, that gives him the advantage

The problem with Leury being a switch hitter is hitting righties is not his strength. He's pretty bad from the left side.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

LOL hey you best be careful Ptatc . You're going to be in the same boat with me because I suggested Williams needed a few ABs against RHP's to see if we could catch lightning in a bottle and give Vaughn a chance to take some pressure off of him. Now all the people who think that was stupid are celebrating and laughing at everything I say because Williams was DFA'd.

To me it's pretty petty because he got his chances and he blew it. Being DFA'd was just the result and the process of those AB's. That's the life of a scrub, produce in small sample sizes or be gone. I wouldn't be so petty or vindictive if Vaughn  gets sent to the minors eventually. I want every Sox player to do well including every guy from the bench who get's a chance to play. But then again you're not suggesting a prize rookie get a few games off even though it's been happening all season.

The prevailing opinion was if Vaughn is here give him everyday AB's or just send him down. Everyone is pissed at the Sox and LaRussa for doing neither and I'm a dope for agreeing with the Sox and LaRussa so I'm the board fall guy just for stating my opinion . If Vaughn sucks hitting or makes crucial errors in the OF I won't be happy about or feel better that I was right  because I do really want him to be great just as all my detractors do so I put myself in a lose lose situation. There would be no reason to gloat over Vaughns failure when others gloat over Williams failure . I don't feel bad because Williams failed I knew it was a long shot he produces in games .I feel bad because other "fans" choose to gloat over any Sox player's failures. I thought we all wanted to win games not be right about differences of opinion.

: Edit: See what I mean, another haha emoji  when I take the time to say what I feel. Pretty sad that has to happen. I'm not sad myself ,sad for the quality of the board driving guys like SS2K5 away again . I don't agree with everything he ever said but he is a quality poster who I respected. Not enough respect here lately. Pretty much the worst I've seen it in over 15 years here.

More implementation of social media facets just naturally attracts pettiness. Always funny when you post factual stuff and see at least 1 person ignorant enough to just put a laugh emoji. And those types of people actually get off on trolling people just for thr purpose of a reaction. It's pathetic. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I don't think that the difference between Leury's hitting and Mendick's hitting is enough to offset the positional and switch hitting versatility

1 hour ago, Rounding_Third said:

It better be Lamb for Engel.  Today, Mendick has a career line of  .306/.350/.454/.804 against RHP, team chem, and can play 3 positions.  His minimal power isn't missed in this order.  At least it shouldn't be when the others turn it it up.  1B is covered by Vaughn, Collins, & Grandal.  And with Collins's LH bat, Lamb is repeatedly redundant.

But what is the difference between the defense at 3B for Lamb vs. Mendick or Garcia? They really don't have a 3B other than Lamb. Garcia and Mendick are in similar roles with Mendick having options.

I usually am as i'm old and disagree with nearly everything posted on this board. Which is why I don't post nearly as often as I used to except for injuries.

This again?  You’ve *definitely* made your point in this one, man.  Time to move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I usually am as i'm old and disagree with nearly everything posted on this board. Which is why I don't post nearly as often as I used to except for injuries.

LOl yea that's the same boat but I do agree with many because there are a lot of smart posters too that you can disagree with without it getting too nasty or getting an attitude which just makes me give then attitude back and it goes downhill from there.

22 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't think that the difference between Leury's hitting and Mendick's hitting is enough to offset the positional and switch hitting versatility

Switch-hitting versatility with Leury is non-existent. He hits worse vs RHP than most RH hitters, including Mendick. You don't lose positional versatility because Leury is still on the roster. You just have him as the 2nd backup option in the IF and OF rather than the 1st option in the IF.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

This again?  You’ve *definitely* made your point in this one, man.  Time to move on.

Respectfully ,It's time to move on when I  think it is but thanks for the advice. Until a mod tells me I am out line I think I'll just go with that. I have been here a lot of years , never been banned never been given a warning of any kind. I think i'm good.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Switch-hitting versatility with Leury is non-existent. He hits worse vs RHP than most RH hitters, including Mendick. You don't lose positional versatility because Leury is still on the roster. You just have him as the 2nd backup option in the IF and OF rather than the 1st option in the IF.

Again, Mendick and Leury are redundant. It's the reason they have a supersub to cover the entire field. They have a more balanced roster with leury, lamb and Hamilton. The only one of the bunch  that has options is Mendick. They may lose the others with a DFA.

Just now, ptatc said:

Again, Mendick and Leury are redundant. It's the reason they have a supersub to cover the entire field. They have a more balanced roster with leury, lamb and Hamilton. The only one of the bunch  that has options is Mendick. They may lose the others with a DFA.

Mendick and Leury aren't redundant. Mendick can play IF and can hit. Leury can play IF and can't fucking hit. Leury is closer to being redundant with Hamilton in that they both can play OF and can't hit.

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Mendick and Leury aren't redundant. Mendick can play IF and can hit. Leury can play IF and can't fucking hit. Leury is closer to being redundant with Hamilton in that they both can play OF and can't hit.

If you focus solely on hitting yes. Unfortunately there is a thing called defense that must be addressed as well. There is a reason that Mendick started the season at the alternate site. It's a more balanced team with Leury playing all of the positions. Plus Mendick has options. It allows more situational players such as Lamb, who has better defense at 3B and more power against RHP than Mendick and Hamilton who is a better baserunner than Mendick.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

LOL hey you best be careful Ptatc .

Well, I for one, think you are 2 of the best posters on this site.  But then again, I'm becoming an old man too.  I remember watching the olden days with Wilson Alvarez twirling a no -no before this Rodon chap was born....

Ugh, that fact did make me feel really old.  Haha.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ptatc said:

But what is the difference between the defense at 3B for Lamb vs. Mendick or Garcia? They really don't have a 3B other than Lamb. Garcia and Mendick are in similar roles with Mendick having options.

Same.  But its Lamb's only position really.  Mendick so much more versatile; more options for TLR even with Leury.  If TLR had experienced Medick's Sox career first hand, I doubt if Lamb would even be here.  And I don't see a real need for Lamb's PH bat except for NL road games.  That's not a big enough need especially since Mendick hits righties much better.   And right now, DH is in good hands.  He's a Lamb Duck!  Sorry!

Edited by Rounding_Third
  • Thanks 1

Just now, turnin' two said:

Well, I for one, think you are 2 of the best posters on this site.  But then again, I'm becoming an old man too.  I remember watching the olden days with Wilson Alvarez twirling a no -no before this Rodon chap was born....

Ugh, that fact did make me feel really old.  Haha.

I understand. I was working for the Marlins at Kane County during that no hitter. 

3 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Same.  But its Lamb's only position really.  Mendick so much more versatile; more options for TLR even with Leury.  If TLR had experienced Medick's Sox career first hand, I doubt if Lamb would even be here.  And I don't see a real need for Lamb's PH bat except for NL road games.  That's not a big enough need especially since Mendick hits righties much better.   And right now, DH is in good hands.  He's a Lamb Duck!  Sorry!

True but neither have the LH power off the bench or the defense at 3B. Leury can handle all of the others. Mendick can't be the 5th or 6th OF. This team lacks LH power.

Edited by ptatc

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

If you focus solely on hitting yes. Unfortunately there is a thing called defense that must be addressed as well. There is a reason that Mendick started the season at the alternate site. It's a more balanced team with Leury playing all of the positions. Plus Mendick has options. It allows more situational players such as Lamb, who has better defense at 3B and more power against RHP than Mendick and Hamilton who is a better baserunner than Mendick.

Hitting matters a lot. Plus, Mendick's defense isn't that bad. The reason Mendick started the season at the alternate site has nothing to do with his defense and everything to do with the Sox didn't know what they were going to get from Yermin and wanted Lamb as another DH option. There was never a plan for him to play 3B, especially when Moncada takes so few days off.

Pinch runners are used so infrequently that a marginal difference in baserunning is the worst possible reason to keep a guy. Once Engel is back, the only way there are any starts for Hamilton is if Mercedes craters and Vaughn has to move to DH, and I don't see that happening.

There is no place for Hamilton on this roster once Engel is back.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

True but neither have the LH power off the bench or the defense at 3B. Leury can handle all of the others. Mendick can't be the 5th or 6th OF. This team lacks LH power.

Lamb lacks LH power, too, for last 3 years.  And his ability to actually the ball safely at all is very limited.  Besides, who would Lamb really pinch hit for?  The situational need for LH power off the bench are very minimal.  In extras, all you need is a base hit.

Edited by Rounding_Third

6 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Hitting matters a lot. Plus, Mendick's defense isn't that bad. The reason Mendick started the season at the alternate site has nothing to do with his defense and everything to do with the Sox didn't know what they were going to get from Yermin and wanted Lamb as another DH option. There was never a plan for him to play 3B, especially when Moncada takes so few days off.

Pinch runners are used so infrequently that a marginal difference in baserunning is the worst possible reason to keep a guy. Once Engel is back, the only way there are any starts for Hamilton is if Mercedes craters and Vaughn has to move to DH, and I don't see that happening.

There is no place for Hamilton on this roster once Engel is back.

Of course hitting matters. But its mostly the starters. The subs in the field usually revolve around defense and what the offer in pinch hitting and baserunning. Mendick was not on the team because there was no place for him when everyone was healthy. Plus he had options.

2 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Lamb lacks LH power, too, for last 3 years.  And his ability to actually the ball safely at all is very limited.  Besides, who would Lamb really pinch hit for?  The situational need for LH power off the bench are very minimal.

Teams still like it. could be Madrigal or Engel. 

Edited by ptatc

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Of course hitting matters. But its mostly the starters. The subs in the field usually revolve around defense and what the offer in pinch hitting and baserunning. Mendick was not on the team because there was no place for him when everyone was healthy. Plus he had options.

"He has options" is an excuse rebuilding teams use to make roster decisions, not contenders.

Mendick was not on the team because Lamb was an insurance policy for Mercedes/Vaughn. Now we know that those two are good enough to squeeze out Lamb.

As for LH power off the bench, whichever catcher isn't starting is LH with better power than Lamb. Engel will start in RF for Engel vs some LH starters and that gives another good power option against a RH reliever. Lamb is utterly useless at this point. Even moreso than Hamilton.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's very small window of that specific opportunity and its not worth him sitting on the bench game after game with no other usage.  Doubtful that Madrigal or Engel would even come out of a late inning close game.   They both can hit and you turn the chance over to the next power hitter in order.  Are you really going to pinch hit Lamb for a .280- .320 hitter?

Anyway, Lamb's not the same bat from 2016 & 17.  He wouldn't have been available if he was.

• Thanks 1