CLE @ SOX, 1:10 PM Central

BigHurt3515

1 minute ago, Tony said:

He threw 0.2 IP and 8 pitches in his appearance today. If that’s how he is going to be used....this entire year is a waste for him in the long term plan. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

He threw 0.2 IP and 8 pitches in his appearance today. If that’s how he is going to be used....this entire year is a waste for him in the long term plan. 

I mean, I don’t think they’re gonna leave him out there to dry just in the sake of stretching him out. He pitched 2.1 innings his 21 debut and then 1 IP each in the next 2 outings. Guy is in the pen - he’s not gonna be just a multi inning reliever all season.

I want Crochet stretched out for 22 as much as the next guy, but we got a long season ahead of us and Crochet is going to be used in many ways throughout the year. Didn’t really see anything wrong with how TLR used him today based on how it was going. 

Turned off the feed as soon as the Abreu Kopech fiasco at first and went back to sleep.  Still have way too many defensive issues to be ironed out.   The clean game last night totally feels like such an anomaly in the emerging narrative of this early season.  The bullpen continues to be perplexing, just like challenging one of the top five hitters in the AL with 1B open.  Maybe Lynn thought a reliever would come into the game if he walked Ramirez? 

Afternoon shadows between the mound and the plate impacted hitters. Cold weather was a factor on both offense and defense. This is football weather, not baseball weather.

I am amazed how many times posters still like to take shots at Eloy. If a player wants to take his starting role they will have plenty of chances on offense and defense this year to prove themselves.

This was a bad game today  because, among other things,  it was impacted greatly by what I believe was a bad call on Eaton's double. Allowing a defender to tangle his leg with a base-runner and then stumble down while tagging him looked like a dirty trick by a wise guy more than a legitimate baseball play.  Then the taller player stared down Eaton like a tough guy.  All that without any consequences for his behavior.

46 minutes ago, Tony said:

I have a really hard time thinking Manager Tony cares about a long term plan.  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Didn’t really see anything wrong with how TLR used him today based on how it was going. 

Here is the thing. I don’t think Tony did anything “wrong” per say. He’s been given “prospects” in his bullpen the Sox are saying they want to be long-term starters. Tony was brought in to win as many ballgames as possible, that’s why Ricky was let go. That wasn’t his main mission based on where the team was. 

I think it’s on the Front Office more than anyone. I just don’t think this “plan” is in the best interest of the best long-term future for Crochet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I have a really hard time thinking Manager Tony cares about a long term plan.  

In some ways, it’s not his job. I mean it is based on the discussions he’d had with the FO, but Tony was brought here to win with this squad. That wasn’t the objective when Ricky was here, it was about development. Again, some of it’s on Tony but I don’t totally blame him for using guys that are available to him. I just don’t think Crochet should be available in those situations, the focus should always be on him getting ready to start as soon as possible. That’s just my take

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

In some ways, it’s not his job. I mean it is based on the discussions he’d had with the FO, but Tony was brought here to win with this squad. That wasn’t the objective when Ricky was here, it was about development. Again, some of it’s on Tony but I don’t totally blame him for using guys that are available to him. I just don’t think Crochet should be available in those situations, the focus should always be on him getting ready to start as soon as possible. That’s just my take

Getting ready to start is in 22. This year is only about getting him 60-70 innings so he can throw 100-120 next year.

15 minutes ago, Tony said:

If we didn't already have Bummer, and granted, he hasn't been Mr. Reliable...it would be more of a priority to have that additional LHR.

Because right now, he's already pacing himself like a starter, or there's something wrong with either his mechanics/confidence or an actual physical problem.

He is certainly not the same pitcher we saw down the stretch in 2020.  We can theoretically chalk it up to the cold weather and being used to pitching in SEC heat/humidity in the springtime...so we will just have to monitor him as the season progresses.

Agree that getting him ready to replace Lynn/Rodon SHOULD be the priority.  If nothing else, we could throw Lopez into the pen and see how he does, but they apparently prefer the limited bursts from Burdi for now.

44 minutes ago, pcq said:

42 fought for a world where the douchebagery of Jason's personality would not be clouded by the pasty color of his skin. 

Uh-oh.  Sox losses always lead to conflagrations, it's almost getting to be more entertaining than the games themselves.