Abreu and Grandal tanked this game.

Greydawgfan1

2 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I’d be upset if this isn’t par for the course with Abreu. He always sucks in April. Grandal is what he is, high OBP, low average, and lots of K’s. Where as he has historically hit around .240-50, I think with age his average will dip. 

In a Sox uni, Grandal has been the guy he always has been. And that’s still very valuable. He’s never gonna hit .280+. He’ll be right around .240-.250 by seasons end like he always is. 

Abreu otoh, needs to snap out of it. JA has come up in tons of huge spots and flailed away so far in SSS. 

1 hour ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I’d be upset if this isn’t par for the course with Abreu. He always sucks in April. Grandal is what he is, high OBP, low average, and lots of K’s. Where as he has historically hit around .240-50, I think with age his average will dip. 

Then move the hot bats or Robert and Mercedes into his spot until he warms up

2 hours ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

Then move the hot bats or Robert and Mercedes into his spot until he warms up

Robert has been struggling in the 2 so they moved him to 7 and he had 2 hits. Now you want to move him to the 3. That makes no sense.  

Abreu seems to be pressing at the plate. Maybe not, just seems that way. Unfortunately he may not heat up til the weather does. I'm just gonna stay patient. As long as team doesn't fall five under .500 or something. That would be really bad. Better only be 1 or 2 under .500 or 1 or 2 over til Sox get hot. None of this five under .500.

both guys who are typically slow starters I reckon.  sucks but we don't currently have anyone in the lineup other than Yermin and Eaton who can pick them up until it starts warming up, just try and hover around .500 like has been said 

12 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

In a Sox uni, Grandal has been the guy he always has been. And that’s still very valuable. He’s never gonna hit .280+. He’ll be right around .240-.250 by seasons end like he always is. 

Abreu otoh, needs to snap out of it. JA has come up in tons of huge spots and flailed away so far in SSS. 

Your unwavering defense of Grandal is nauseating. You do realize his batting average in a Sox uni is .219 right? I’d be more surprised if his career batting average with the Sox ends up in the .240-.250 range than the .200-.210 range. I’m sure you’ll cite some WAR numbers proving how great he is but if you actually watch the games and his play you realize this is one of the most overrated players in fangraphs history. And that’s not an exaggeration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Your unwavering defense of Grandal is nauseating. You do realize his batting average in a Sox uni is .219 right? I’d be more surprised if his career batting average with the Sox ends up in the .240-.250 range than the .200-.210 range. I’m sure you’ll cite some WAR numbers proving how great he is but if you actually watch the games and his play you realize this is one of the most overrated players in fangraphs history. And that’s not an exaggeration.

Lol, if I actually watch the games?  GMAFB.  I've watched literally probably 95% of all White Sox action since Grandal put on a White Sox jersey, and 80%+ over the last decade plus.  Your problem is you just thought Grandal was a different type of hitter than he actually is.  

Career stat line: .239/.348/.443

2020 stat line with Sox: .230/.351/.422

2020 + 2021 Stat line with Sox: .215/.348/.398

In 2020, Grandal was literally the exact same guy he always has been.  Just like I said.  He doesn't hit for average, never has.  Yes his shitty start to 2021 is weighing down his Sox average a bit, but I guarantee you he'll be in the .230-240 range at season's end.  HE HAS 30 2021 AT BATS. THIRTY!  Expecting a .240 career hitter to come in and suddenly start hitting .280+ isn't very wise.  

Grandal is frustrating player to watch in the batter's box.  I get it.  He strikes out a lot and isn't going to get a ton of a base hits. HOWEVER - The guy has an elite eye and OBP tool.  He has power.  His hit tool is below average.  He is an above average defensive catcher.  Add it all up, that is one of the best 3 catchers in the game.  Don't like?  I don't know what else to tell ya.  I came into the Grandal era knowing what kind of player he was - therefore, I defend him from the clowns that constantly say he's suddenly terrible.  He's the exact same catcher he has always been - and guess what - its a damn good one.  Agree to disagree like we've done 100s of times on the topic, but the numbers are clear as day.  Sorry you don't like numbers.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 3

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The guy has an elite eye and OBP tool.  He has power.  His hit tool is below average.  He is an above average defensive catcher.  Add it all up, that is one of the best 3 catchers in the game.  Don't like?  I don't know what else to tell ya.  I came into the Grandal era knowing what kind of player he was - therefore, I defend him from the clowns that constantly say he's suddenly terrible.  He's the exact same catcher he has always been - and guess what - its a damn good one.  Agree to disagree like we've done 100s of times on the topic, but the numbers are clear as day.  Sorry you don't like numbers.  

I don't remember where he hit in the lineup for his other teams, but to me the two bolded facts taken together make him a guy who should be hitting in front of your best run producers and not behind them. His OBP tool has less value when you're hoping for Vaughn and Madrigal to drive him in after he walks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I don't remember where he hit in the lineup for his other teams, but to me the two bolded facts taken together make him a guy who should be hitting in front of your best run producers and not behind them. His OBP tool has less value when you're hoping for Vaughn and Madrigal to drive him in after he walks.

Well, this is what happens when the guy you expected to be your cleanup hitter seriously injures himself trying to catch a ball he had 0% chance of catching in a ST game that didn't matter. Ideally, Grandal is batting 6th or 7th in this lineup.  But with Eloy out, everyone gets shifted up.   

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, if I actually watch the games?  GMAFB.  I've watched literally probably 95% of all White Sox action since Grandal put on a White Sox jersey, and 80%+ over the last decade plus.  Your problem is you just thought Grandal was a different type of hitter than he actually is.  

In 2020, Grandal was literally the exact same guy he always has been.  Just like I said.  He doesn't hit for average, never has.  Yes his shitty start to 2021 is weighing down his Sox average a bit, but I guarantee you he'll be in the .230-240 range at season's end.  HE HAS 30 2021 AT BATS. THIRTY!  Expecting a .240 career hitter to come in and suddenly start hitting .280+ isn't very wise.  

Grandal is frustrating player to watch in the batter's box.  I get it.  He strikes out a lot and isn't going to get a ton of a base hits. HOWEVER - The guy has an elite eye and OBP tool.  He has power.  His hit tool is below average.  He is an above average defensive catcher.  Add it all up, that is one of the best 3 catchers in the game.  Don't like?  I don't know what else to tell ya.  I came into the Grandal era knowing what kind of player he was - therefore, I defend him from the clowns that constantly say he's suddenly terrible.  He's the exact same catcher he has always been - and guess what - its a damn good one.  Agree to disagree like we've done 100s of times on the topic, but the numbers are clear as day.  Sorry you don't like numbers.  

I think the major issues aren’t the OBP, average, and strikeouts... that was kind of expected. He is what he is. It’s the defense. Don’t really care about what the defensive metrics say, he was billed as an amazing defensive catcher. But I’d argue his pitch selection, blocking balls in the dirt, constant contact interference with the glove, and general lackadaisical effort on plays outweighs his supposed great framing skill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2021 at 9:17 AM, ChiSox59 said:

Wrong. I know what type of hitter he is and what type of catcher he is, which is exactly the reason why I’ve been against this signing from the start. I don’t agree that he is an above average defensive catcher. He’s good at pitch framing but what else does he do well? Caught stealing percentage, below average. Blocking pitches in the dirt, below average. Fielding his position, below average. Pitch calling, terrible.

• Thanks 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Grandal has always been a very streaky hitter in his career.  I'm pretty sure he will go on at least a couple tears where we will be very happy with his offensive production.  At least he has been getting on base, although not hitting, early this season.

I'm more concerned with his defense this year.  It is not gold glove caliber to say the least.

41 minutes ago, wegner said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Grandal has always been a very streaky hitter in his career.  I'm pretty sure he will go on at least a couple tears where we will be very happy with his offensive production.  At least he has been getting on base, although not hitting, early this season.

I'm more concerned with his defense this year.  It is not gold glove caliber to say the least.

Don’t tell fangraphs that. His framing makes him an elite defender!