Lets Not Panic

AJ'S Cousin

4 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yep. It's unfair to expect young guys to be great after 50 to 70 games played for their careers. It's going to take time to develop and is why I said probably, which does not mean certainty. Madrigal has played in about 40 games and fans are pissed at him because this season has big expectations. We need Vaughn who hasn't played above A ball to be good right away, even though he's played in a handful of games. Because of our season expectations, we can't afford to be patient with him and give him time to develop. 

I believe many fans have been unrealistic since the rebuild started. The hype around Kopech was absurd when he was called up, and he hadn't thrown a major league pitch. And I don't believe Vaughn will be good right away, and it will harm his development  if he is rushed. The Eloy injury exposed this team some.

It's too early to pass judgment on this team, but it is not too early to be concerned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I believe many fans have been unrealistic since the rebuild started. The hype around Kopech was absurd when he was called up, and he hadn't thrown a major league pitch. And I don't believe Vaughn will be good right away, and it will harm his development  if he is rushed. The Eloy injury exposed this team some.

It's too early to pass judgment on this team, but it is not too early to be concerned.

Rebuilds are much better without having reality ruin everything.

17 hours ago, NWINFan said:

Yup the fanboys go crazy for sure when a few guys are out of the lineup especially Vaughn fanboys. Do not play the bottom 2 positions players on the 26 LaRussa WTF are you doing you senile old drunken fool . Doesn't sound like panic at all.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

We were all guilty of overhype, and they willl still be a good team, but the team itself fed the beast. Calling each other Mike Trout and future MVPs and Cy Youngs. World Series or bust. Come on guys, get ahold of yourselves and play baseball.

The warning signs were there from last year.  We were a team that feasted on bad teams and lost to good teams. We upgraded right, added a pitcher and a closer.  We lost our LF than basically negates the upgrade in RF.

• Like 1

Sox are 2 games under .500 with a +13 run differential, 2nd best in AL. Doesn't always hold true but more often than not, the record moves toward the run differential.

That +13 breaks down as +15 in innings 1-3, +3 in innings 4-6, and -5 in innings 7-10, so late innings are definitely a problem.

Also, the 5 teams the Sox have played so far are a combined 34-20 (.630) when not playing the Sox. Haven't gotten to play any bad teams yet.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Sox are 2 games under .500 with a +13 run differential, 2nd best in AL. Doesn't always hold true but more often than not, the record moves toward the run differential.

That +13 breaks down as +15 in innings 1-3, +3 in innings 4-6, and -5 in innings 7-10, so late innings are definitely a problem.

Also, the 5 teams the Sox have played so far are a combined 34-20 (.630) when not playing the Sox. Haven't gotten to play any bad teams yet.

Good post. I just want to see them find ways to win games rather than go the other way.  Speaking of the longer term, The preferred  long term team building  approach for myself is  young speed in the draft early,  and less investment in college bats which hasn’t worked. Anyway, folks have seen the team find ways to lose rather than win as they could be, hence panic. Hopefully it works out as you emphasized.

Really bad day for the AL Central - every team lost except the Twins, who have had their next two games (at least) cancelled due to COVID protocols.

No one is running away with this any time soon.

Nvm Royals won, time to panic.

Edited by daggins

4 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

The teams the Sox have faced will all finish in 3rd place or lower. They are benefiting from that early season mirage like our 23-10 start. Our schedule will get much tougher soon and wins will be harder to come by. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

6 of 8 losses have been in opponent’s final at bat.  Starters have lost 1 game so far.  If the offense ever starts clicking they will be fine.  But... will the offense ever start clicking?

I think so, but for a team that supposedly has either the best or one of the best bullpens in baseball, and the greatest user of the bullpen ever managing,  they are getting beat late and out bullpened at an alarming rate.

It still was a 1 run game yesterday when Tony decided to waive the white flag and insert Ruiz.

Edited by Dick Allen

My biggest concern right now is what's happening at C.   What's the deal with Grandal?  Is that knee much worse than reported?  He runs 3/4 speed to 1st.  He's only caught 9 of 14 games.  That works out to just 104 for the season.  With Collins struggling at the plate again,  and no proven depth, catcher is a big red flag.   $18m AAV for what so far? 

Also don't forget the sox had a pretty tough schedule apart from KC and Seattle. 

Fangraphs full season win projections 

Boston 89

LAA 86

Cleveland 82

Seattle 74

Royals 80

So apart from the last two those are solid teams and even the Latter two had hot starts (8-5 and 9-6).

This shouldn't be an excuse but I bet it was one of the tougher schedules without any true bottom feeders.