Lets Not Panic

AJ'S Cousin

Per RotoGrinders atm:

"CHW @ BOS - 

High-res models has Boston in the "dry slot" of the weather system by first pitch. That doesn't exactly mean we'll be fully dry, moreso "less wet, but still damp, cold and breezy". It's certainly ugly weather for baseball, but likely playable if that's the route they want to go. I wouldn't jump to any immediate conclusions yet, I'll update it this afternoon "

4 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Per RotoGrinders atm:

"CHW @ BOS - 

High-res models has Boston in the "dry slot" of the weather system by first pitch. That doesn't exactly mean we'll be fully dry, moreso "less wet, but still damp, cold and breezy". It's certainly ugly weather for baseball, but likely playable if that's the route they want to go. I wouldn't jump to any immediate conclusions yet, I'll update it this afternoon "

Also, keep in mind Fenway has one of the lowest by actual numbers allowed attendance so pushing it back into later in the season when we’re in NY, Balt or possibly TOR wouldn’t be completely unheard of.

Otoh, they’re not going to be any hotter than winning 9/10...perhaps depends on who their DH pitching options are as well.

Edited by caulfield12

There’s snow going on now, and it probably won’t get above the low 40s today in Boston. Expect them to play the “inclement weather” card early and there will be a doubleheader this weekend sometime.

Edited by flavum

With everything that has gone wrong so far this year the Sox still have the second highest run differential and runs scored in the AL.  Their numbers are virtually the same as SD in the NL.  Their pyth W-L is 8-5.  Lots of teams playing far worse so far, only LAD and BOS are faring significantly better at this point.

Sox are 3rd in MLB in starter ERA. I'd much rather have that as a foundation and bullpen/hitting/defensive issues to address than the opposite.

It may be next week, it may be June, but Vaughn will eventually figure it out. Abreu will heat up. Mercedes will of course cool down but I still think he can put up an OPS over 800 for the full season. Engel will be back and will help.

There should be no panic. There should still be optimism, but concern in a couple areas is also justified. I'm very troubled by Foster and Crochet right now.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Sox are 3rd in MLB in starter ERA. I'd much rather have that as a foundation and bullpen/hitting/defensive issues to address than the opposite.

It may be next week, it may be June, but Vaughn will eventually figure it out. Abreu will heat up. Mercedes will of course cool down but I still think he can put up an OPS over 800 for the full season. Engel will be back and will help.

There should be no panic. There should still be optimism, but concern in a couple areas is also justified. I'm very troubled by Foster and Crochet right now.

No doubt.

36 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Absolutely.  No doubt Mercedes can have a .800 OPS.  Hopefully we LET Vaughn figure it out.  He can't figure it out on the bench.  Just play him.

I think the combination of the expectation of having a deep playoff run, the blown games, and resetting the mindset to a 162 game season from a 60 game season where every loss felt like blowing a game to a division rival in September that has a lot of people on edge.

There are valid concerns, and I want to wait to judge some bats until they're not trying to hit in 40 degree weather. 

1 hour ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Per RotoGrinders atm:

"CHW @ BOS - 

the shit weather that was sitting over the PNW for a week has finally made its way to the east coast.  Enjoy it Boston.  It was in Chicago and the Upper Midwest a few days ago, although somehow in N. MI it managed to be pretty nice golf weather when the sun was out.  It's 77 and sunny here in Seattle now, go figure.  What a wonky ass jet stream we get now, thanks AGW.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

This team can compete for the division, but playoff success probably isn't happening this year. Half the lineup still has growing to do at the plate, the defense is iffy, and we have no money or much prospect capital. Everything will need to go right and we'd need to be completely healthy to win a series. No room for any type of error. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flavum said:

The division leaders are the Mariners, Royals, and Red Sox after two weeks. No big deal. Let’s check back in a month. 

To be fair, it is true that bad teams tend to start off good and vice versa. If you go by the first few weeks Baltimore has been fantastic so far this century.

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This team can compete for the division, but playoff success probably isn't happening this year. Half the lineup still has growing to do at the plate, the defense is iffy, and we have no money or much prospect capital. Everything will need to go right and we'd need to be completely healthy to win a series. No room for any type of error. 

All that certainty from about 7% of the season played.  Outstanding.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

All that certainty from about 7% of the season played.  Outstanding.

Yep. It's unfair to expect young guys to be great after 50 to 70 games played for their careers. It's going to take time to develop and is why I said probably, which does not mean certainty. Madrigal has played in about 40 games and fans are pissed at him because this season has big expectations. We need Vaughn who hasn't played above A ball to be good right away, even though he's played in a handful of games. Because of our season expectations, we can't afford to be patient with him and give him time to develop. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Opinion: Moncada is caught in between being too passive and too aggressive with no middle ground. Also, he's getting killed on offspeed/breaking stuff right now. He's hit one breaking ball (the HR off Keller) hard all year. 

Part of the reason why I believed in his 2019 being relatively repeatable is because he was hitting lasers all over the field. Not happening anymore. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yep. It's unfair to expect young guys to be great after 50 to 70 games played for their careers. It's going to take time to develop and is why I said probably, which does not mean certainty. Madrigal has played in about 40 games and fans are pissed at him because this season has big expectations. We need Vaughn who hasn't played above A ball to be good right away, even though he's played in a handful of games. Because of our season expectations, we can't afford to be patient with him and give him time to develop. 

Thank you very much.