Abreu

Greydawgfan1

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

No.  Not every bad start/year is COVID.  He is historically a bad starter.

I keep hearing that but numbers don't lie.

Somewhat true, but not entirely, relative to his final seasonal stats.  Mostly false, except for 2016, relative to 2021 March/April vs career March/April.  Not even close. 

Not sure where that "slow start" perception comes from.  I guess 2016 sticks in people's minds.   Still has some games to match April history, though.

image.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Abreu ops

in april: 690

May: 1.119

Maybe we just have to accept that he sucks in April but now he looks on his was to another really good season. 

I don't expect this to continue but if he finishes with a 125 to 130 wrc+ I would be happy and not surprised. 

Also interesting he is walking at a career high 10% albeit I'm not sure this is real as his chase rate is only slightly improved (but in zone swing down a little too). 

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

o01khmhnlkz61.jpg

* = Hall of Famer

Pretty impressive stuff. His MLB career started too late for him to make the HoF, but he'll end up like Konerko and Buehrle in the Hall of Very Good and a statue out in LF. 

(I know you weren't arguing for Abreu in the Hall, Q)

• Like 1

Just now, Tony said:

Pretty impressive stuff. His MLB career started too late for him to make the HoF, but he'll end up like Konerko and Buehrle in the Hall of Very Good and a statue out in LF. 

(I know you weren't aruging for Aberu in the Hall, Q)

I know Ichiro's mlb numbers were good enough on their own to warrant HOF but I still think his NPB stint should have been considered and should for Abreu too. He's a freakin legend in Cuba before arriving. But I get that's probably a losing argument for the actual hall, but it makes perfect sense to me.

• Like 1

It’s not impossible for Abreu to make the Hall. He’s got an MVP and another top 5.  If he can play another 5-6 years at a high level, finish with 350+ homers, and hopefully have postseason success as well, his overall baseball career will be good enough for the Hall. But first...put Minoso in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I know Ichiro's mlb numbers were good enough on their own to warrant HOF but I still think his NPB stint should have been considered and should for Abreu too. He's a freakin legend in Cuba before arriving. But I get that's probably a losing argument for the actual hall, but it makes perfect sense to me.

I don't disagree with that at all. It's not the MLB HoF.

Just now, flavum said:

It’s not impossible for Abreu to make the Hall. He’s got an MVP and another top 5.  If he can play another 5-6 years at a high level, finish with 350+ homers, and hopefully have postseason success as well, his overall baseball career will be good enough for the Hall. But first...put Minoso in.

I also don't disagree with this. Honestly, I think the biggest thing that could help his cause is the Sox winning 1-2 World Series in the next 5 years. If he played a major role in collecting a few World Series, it could push him over the top. 

But I still don't think he makes it, just not a long enough MLB career.

17 minutes ago, flavum said:

Add a ring or two to that resume, and it also gets easier.

Abreu is a great player but I don't see him making the hall, the bar for first basemen ist incredibly high, you almost have to have 500 homers. 

The late start in that regard will hurt him. Sure ichiro had a late start too but he was dominating a well regarded league while Abreu was a Cuban legend but the Cuban league is not considered the same as NBP. Plus ichiro still made it to 3k as he played till 45.

Abreu will be more like konerko or mcgriff and not make it. 

The MVP will help some and get him some votes on the ballot but it was a shortened season and I don't think it is enough to clear the bar and make up for the counting stats. 

Still a white sox legend, hopefully Vaughn will have a similar career and continue to strong relay of Sox first basemen (Thomas, konerko, Abreu then Vaughn).