4/17 GT: Sox vs Sahx, 3:05 PM CST

Capn12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Cubs’ fans at least had 3 straight NLCS, 2016, even 2018 and 2020 were.

5 postseasons in 6 years, depending on how you look at the 2018 debacle of an ending.

We can’t even get past the Indians when they’re spending $80+ million less, lowest payroll in the majors by far.

Reinsdorf really screwed things up this year with the LaRussa hiring. The game has passed by him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

lol at Jason carrying water for Yoan and the Sox in that 9th.  Might be a long summer.  Let's hope not.

Covid after effects...?  Somehow it hasn’t completely derailed Freddie Freeman, there were three days where he thought he was going to actually die. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Give them a normal record in close games and things are fine. The pitching has been elite and somehow, despite so many hitters underperforming, the Sox are a top 10 offense by basically all metrics. But they aren't good enough to overcome incompetent managing and unfortunately I don't see any reason to expect that to change.

Just now, soxfan49 said:

And we trust the jamokes in the front office to get a king's ransom for Robert? Not me

Of course we don't. 

They really need to fire Hahn and blow this thing up ASAP though. Let some of the younger guys establish themselves or bust, and trade the good ones away. 

Hahn must be held accountable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Of course we don't. 

They really need to fire Hahn and blow this thing up ASAP though. Let some of the younger guys establish themselves or bust, and trade the good ones away. 

Please tell me this is sarcasm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Covid after effects...?  Somehow it hasn’t completely derailed Freddie Freeman, there were three days where he thought he was going to actually die. 

I thought that Moncada's 2019 was sustainable because he was hitting missiles everywhere. Did I think he'd hit .300 again, no. But I did expect about .280 with 30 HRs. It seems like his bat speed and power is gone. He had elite bat to ball skills. No more. I don't know if covid is to blame or not, but I lean toward probably. Even in 2018 he was hitting missiles when he made contact. That just doesn't disappear at 25 years old if there isn't something else going on. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Of course we don't. 

The attendance at that last home stand would be huge compared to what they would draw if they blew it up again anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Please tell me this is sarcasm

They're just not good enough, man. They're slightly better than the team they destroyed in 2016. This roster wins 85 games or so max even with Eloy.

I'm not sure they win 80 games without him.  

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Capn12 said:

Really, REALLY feels like we're going to kick around in our heads this year, over and over, just how much a moronic attempt to rob a spring training HR, really screwed up this team.

Eloy Jimenez is an awesome player. He likely would have been the best hitter on the team this season, but he's not Mike Trout. And this isn't basketball. If Eloy's injury is enough to completely derail the season then this team wasn't going to be great anyways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

They're just not good enough, man. They're slightly better than the team they destroyed in 2016. This roster wins 85 games or so max even with Eloy.

I'm not sure they win 80 games without him.  

How many teams are comfortably in a range above that? Dodgers, Padres and then... maybe the Yankees? I would have said so 2 weeks ago but now they're performing so poorly fans are throwing garbage on the field during games. The Twins are in a similar position to the Sox. The Astros and Rays are both currently below .500. If the Sox are in a position where they should be blowing things up, then basically what you're saying is only 2 or 3 teams should be trying to win in a given year.

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

How many teams are comfortably in a range above that? Dodgers, Padres and then... maybe the Yankees? I would have said so 2 weeks ago but now they're performing so poorly fans are throwing garbage on the field during games. The Twins are in a similar position to the Sox. The Astros and Rays are both currently below .500. If the Sox are in a position where they should be blowing things up, then basically what you're saying is only 2 or 3 teams should be trying to win in a given year.

I'm not sure anyone other than the Dodgers or Padres has a realistic chance to win the WS this year. Whichever team comes out of the NL will win. The gap between LA/SD and the remainder of baseball is massive. 

The AL is wide open. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I thought that Moncada's 2019 was sustainable because he was hitting missiles everywhere. Did I think he'd hit .300 again, no. But I did expect about .280 with 30 HRs. It seems like his bat speed and power is gone. He had elite bat to ball skills. No more. I don't know if covid is to blame or not, but I lean toward probably. Even in 2018 he was hitting missiles when he made contact. That just doesn't disappear at 25 years old if there isn't something else going on. 

When a guy leans on excuses like he got Covid once, thats kind of a red flag.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

When a guy leans on excuses like he got Covid once, thats kind of a red flag.

Yes, and covid affects everyone the same way......

I believe it has altered the trajectory of Moncada's career.

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Of course, Dane Dunning has a 0.69 ERA right now...

You can classify it as management making finishing moves on an unfinished team. It just speaks to the general delusion of grandeur within the entire organization. They did a good enough job as far as what they were doing. But they sort of quit before they were done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I can’t think of a truly great player it has completely sunk his career, can you?

Even in 2018 the ball exploded off his bat. It doesn't happen anymore. What's the most logical explanation? That ability just doesn't disappear at age 25. 

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic