4/17 GT: Sox vs Sahx, 3:05 PM CST

Capn12

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

The struggles from Vaughn would be easy overlooked if the Sox main weapons were producing. Abreu-Anderson-Moncada have all been disappointing to start the season. If/when those guys heat up, the team is going to look a lot better, assuming the pitching is still clicking. 

Vaughn is an issue right now, no doubt. But they could survive it if the big guys in the lineup were producing at even average levels. 

This I agree with.  I have zero problem with people saying Vaughn looks bad right now or even question if he was rushed, but if the core dudes are hitting like they should we’d able to survive his struggles.

2 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Young is debatable at this point, too, for Collins. He is now 26, hardly a spring chicken. We all want him to succeed, but at some point, you have to see what you have for what it is.

James McCann would say otherwise 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I fully agree. But it IS hard when you're trying to compete with 3 (if you count Collins who has had plenty of time) young hitters developing and one of our best hitters sidelined.

100% agree.  For a team with serious World Series ambitions, we are relying on a lot of young, developing players.

2 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Young is debatable at this point, too, for Collins. He is now 26, hardly a spring chicken. We all want him to succeed, but at some point, you have to see what you have for what it is.

He was a bad draft pick at the time, can’t take that back now. The fact that he’s developed himself into a more than a passable defensive C and is worthy of a roster is at least a plus at this point. What teams backup catcher hits well? 

5 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Or Yermin.  But Mercedes really had some strong minor league numbers that weren’t Charlotte or walk/OBP inflated. Never has been a .270 or .280 guy, though.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Even early on, McCann showed hitting tools in the majors. You can name guys if you want, but they've all shown SOME propensity to hit major league pitching. Collins has not, at all.

Just now, Heads22 said:

i'm gonna say codi is......good

In a bullpen with the consensus best reliever in the game and another guy with a 0 career ERA (Crochet), I'm not convinced that Heuer isn't the best reliever of them all. He's so filthy and there's nothing with him you can even nitpick. All of his pitches are nasty and he throws strikes.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic