Lynn to IL; Burdi up

Heads22

5 hours ago, T R U said:

Yes he has, and so has Dunning who is under control and dirt cheap. That’s my issue with it, if Lynn walks it’s a bad deal. 

Dirt cheap is only valuable if you use those savings to improve other areas of your club. I'm not 100% convinced that would be the case here. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, zisk said:

Would rather given Stiever and Either Lambert or Mcclure. Stiever might end up being good too though.

I think the Sox would too. Which means Lynn probably is on the Sox if that’s their best offer. 

8 minutes ago, oldsox said:
9 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Burdi probably done here. Just my opinion.

Maybe, but he had 2 options left after this season and plenty of space between him and the cutline. He’s got at least another year IMO. 

I can't imagine being a GM and owner nowadays. Pitchers' arms are so brittle, no fault of their own. How can any team justify giving good money to any pitcher when it's almost certain the pitcher is going to get hurt a lot? 

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

I can't imagine being a GM and owner nowadays. Pitchers' arms are so brittle, no fault of their own. How can any team justify giving good money to any pitcher when it's almost certain the pitcher is going to get hurt a lot? 

Found Jerry's burner.  

I always assumed teams have some kind of insurance to account for major injuries and such. Like if you pay a player $20 Million per year, and he is out for the year, maybe a certain % is covered by insurance. Does anyone know?

• Like 1

Well the alternative is developing pitching which can work but has a lot of attrition I.e. You must have a lot of pitching prospects to make it work which means you have less (top) hitters. 

That is why some teams like the epstein cubs have done the develop hitting and buy pitching approach. 

Disadvantage of course is it is expensive and you don't have much depth in case of injury. 

• Like 1

I understand Dunning took on mythical status the moment he left the team, and the trade could very well come back to burn us. But let's be real:  this board would have gone absolutely bananas if Dunning was penciled in as a third starter on a team with World Series aspirations. As it is one of the primary knocks on this team is that it didn't get a *fourth* veteran starter during the offseason to bring stability to the rotation. Imagine if we only went into the season with two!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I understand Dunning took on mythical status the moment he left the team, and the trade could very well come back to burn us. But let's be real:  this board would have gone absolutely bananas if Dunning was penciled in as a third starter on a team with World Series aspirations. As it is one of the primary knocks on this team is that it didn't get a *fourth* veteran starter during the offseason to bring stability to the rotation. Imagine if we only went into the season with two!

True, I just think people who have preferred the Sox keep Dunning, and spend $ on a FA SP or two.  Instead, we traded 6 years of Dunning for 1 year of an underpaid SP.  And then we didn't even use those savings to upgrade the team in the meaningful way.  I think its fair to cast criticism at the move.  I hated it.  Still don't love it.  Happy to have Lynn as he is what the Sox need in a #2, but it sucks to have given up 6+ years of Dunning for just 1 season of him.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

True, I just think people who have preferred the Sox keep Dunning, and spend $ on a FA SP or two.  Instead, we traded 6 years of Dunning for 1 year of an underpaid SP.  And then we didn't even use those savings to upgrade the team in the meaningful way.  I think its fair to cast criticism at the move.  I hated it.  Still don't love it.  Happy to have Lynn as he is what the Sox need in a #2, but it sucks to have given up 6+ years of Dunning for just 1 season of him.   

I don't disagree with any of that.  It's just funny to see Dunning regarded as this darling when he would have been dragged mercilessly for the last several months if he had not changed hat colors.  

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is exactly it.