The Kopech is back thread

chitownsportsfan

I think we all forgot how competitive and talented he is.  His MLB debut was electric, a goose bumps moment. That electricity we saw was hinted at out of the pen this year and in full force today back as a starter, albeit one on a 60 or so pitch limit.

If he stays healthy, he is without a doubt, the ace in the hole for the rotation come summer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Its another hollywood script like yermin. This team better pull it all together because the narratives are simply awesome

I hope the middle of the movie includes an ass whooping of the Yankees in Iowa. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Its another hollywood script like yermin. This team better pull it all together because the narratives are simply awesome

I would love to complain about how we have to hear about Yermin being the Pecos league a couple times a day in October, how so-and-so got TJ surgery and the battle it took to come back from it, and how Eloy was resurrected from the dead and started hitting without missing a beat. 

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think we all forgot how competitive and talented he is.  His MLB debut was electric, a goose bumps moment. That electricity we saw was hinted at out of the pen this year and in full force today back as a starter, albeit one on a 60 or so pitch limit.

If he stays healthy, he is without a doubt, the ace in the hole for the rotation come summer.

But still only as a spot starter, right?  It shouldn't be anything more than that for this year.  That pitch limit would come fast.  Don't want him shut down before the end of the season.

Edited by Rounding_Third

1 hour ago, Rounding_Third said:

But still only as a spot starter, right?  It shouldn't be anything more than that for this year.  That pitch limit would come fast.  Don't want him shut down before the end of the season.

I think that there are people on this earth that are a cut above when it comes to drive and determination.  When you are a pro athlete, especially a ball player, you're already in that elite pool, then you try and separate yourself.  IMO the same drive and emotional capabilities that led Kopech to throwing 100, to TJ, and to sitting out -- have led him back to this point.  I respect the fuck out of that man.  It makes me emotional.  One day you are on top of the work, the next your forearm is dangling from your elbow and your celeb wife is saying I ain't having no more and COVID is there and there you are.

You either shrink, you acquiesce to your weak self or you channel that whatever into becoming a fucking stud at your profession and in life.  It's inspirational stuff.  This mofo didn't just come back from TJ, he came back with his off speed stuff fully developed, he came back with the attitude that the TEAM is first and that's what matters.  Fucking eh, this is the stuff life is about.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

It's a hollywood script but it's definitely not like yermin's.

Drafted > Popped for PEDs > Breaks hand punching teammate > Gets traded > Dates Reality TV Star > Says his elbow hurts after call-up > TJ > Public Breakup > Dates Disney Star > Public Breakup > Sits out season > Attends in-person playoff game > Starts season as a dominate reliever despite dip in velo

I mean what is the awesome narrative?  Despite making questionable decisions his entire adult life, Kopech has managed to be a very effective pitcher for over 10 innings?  

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, daggins said:

Damn, looks like someone has beef with Kopech🤣

No way.  Love the kid.  Pull for him big time.  But his story thus far is the farthest thing from a disney feel good movie. 

I will say the only time I've ever "had beef" was when he was called up late in the year when his velo was clearly down.  Why did this happen?  I've always wondered if his camp pushed for it so they could get his clock started.   Obviously, pure speculation there and I think he has 100% gotten a pass from the org and fanbase on that unfortunate timing. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

No way.  Love the kid.  Pull for him big time.  But his story thus far is the farthest thing from a disney feel good movie. 

I will say the only time I've ever "had beef" was when he was called up late in the year when his velo was clearly down.  Why did this happen?  I've always wondered if his camp pushed for it so they could get his clock started.   Obviously, pure speculation there and I think he has 100% gotten a pass from the org and fanbase on that unfortunate timing. 

Maybe more a Netflix drama series:). 

Definitely had some issues but in the end if he turns the corner on health and performance I don't care. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

It's a hollywood script but it's definitely not like yermin's.

Drafted > Popped for PEDs > Breaks hand punching teammate > Gets traded > Dates Reality TV Star > Says his elbow hurts after call-up > TJ > Public Breakup > Dates Disney Star > Public Breakup > Sits out season > Attends in-person playoff game > Starts season as a dominate reliever despite dip in velo

I mean what is the awesome narrative?  Despite making questionable decisions his entire adult life, Kopech has managed to be a very effective pitcher for over 10 innings?  

If you read the article in the athletic about Mercedes,  their paths are very similar except for the PED issue. Many issues with organizations and teammates.

• Like 1

I think Kopech is a different guy than he was in his early days with Boston.  He doesn't seem to me to be a guy that would butt heads with teammates anymore.  In any event, he looked great last night.  Kopech has and remains the highest upside pitcher we have, and one of the highest in baseball.  He has an upside as one the best SP in the game.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Kopech is a different guy than he was in his early days with Boston.  He doesn't seem to me to be a guy that would butt heads with teammates anymore.  In any event, he looked great last night.  Kopech has and remains the highest upside pitcher we have, and one of the highest in baseball.  He has an upside as one the best SP in the game.  

Dumb 19-23 year old men often turn into better people as they age and mature, go figure.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think that there are people on this earth that are a cut above when it comes to drive and determination.  When you are a pro athlete, especially a ball player, you're already in that elite pool, then you try and separate yourself.  IMO the same drive and emotional capabilities that led Kopech to throwing 100, to TJ, and to sitting out -- have led him back to this point.  I respect the fuck out of that man.  It makes me emotional.  One day you are on top of the work, the next your forearm is dangling from your elbow and your celeb wife is saying I ain't having no more and COVID is there and there you are.

You either shrink, you acquiesce to your weak self or you channel that whatever into becoming a fucking stud at your profession and in life.  It's inspirational stuff.  This mofo didn't just come back from TJ, he came back with his off speed stuff fully developed, he came back with the attitude that the TEAM is first and that's what matters.  Fucking eh, this is the stuff life is about.

Couldn't agree more.  Have a few Jack & Cokes last night, did ya? 😎  Thanks for not answering my question.

On 4/18/2021 at 11:47 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

This is such an odd post coming from the guy who was hyper critical about Kopech sitting out last year, questioning his drive, and analyzing his divorce...

I honestly think we look at athletes from this personal angle far too often. This is their job and it is often unrelated to who they are as a person. Kopech seemed to be suffering, and likely still does, from some mental health problems that at times can hamper development personally and in the workplace. The year off appeared to give him some time to re-calibrate, become more comfortable with himself, and refocus on things he felt were important to him. I'm sure having a kid can do that to you. At the end of the day though, pedastaling athletes tends to just lead to disappointment and is always unwarranted. Enjoy what they accomplish on the field, the entertainment they provide, but analyzing them further typically leads to misinformed thoughts on people who are coached on how to speak to the media and say the right things. As I've gotten older I've evolved to stop doing this.

"Seems like a decent guy" is something I'm much more likely to say now than "he's such a good dude." We honestly just have no idea, and there's been enough heinous actions by athletes that there's no reason for us to propel them to some level of grandiose based on how good they are at a game. Enjoy the greatness on the field, and accept that off the field we're all human and prone to errors in judgement and mistakes - both big and small. Saying that athletes have more drive and determination than regular people is honestly comical. People that wake up everyday and go grind a job that they don't like to put food on their table requires much greater drive and determination than someone who is naturally gifted and plays a game for a living.

Just my two cents.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Kopech needs to pitch more than 2-3 innings at a time.  IMO.

He will towards the end of the season. Right now, they don't want to use too many of his innings limit too early in the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He threw a ball at some asshole fans and had to be held back from going into the stands because they were talking shit about his ex-wife and kid and this happened in his home ballpark?  What happens when some assholes do this on the road?  This is bad.  

Nothing if security does their job.  You don't heckle a guy's kid.  Relax, nothing will come of this and Kopech was more than justified to get upset. He didn't Albert belle the ball either it was described on Twitter as a "hard toss".

• Like 1