The Kopech is back thread

chitownsportsfan

44 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

He’s not wrong that movement and carry is elite.

Adding this from @Tnetennba:

My interpretation of that is that he doesn't want to invite the next question of "well who is he replacing?".  TLR is savvy enough to know that Cease hears the footsteps one way or another, no reason to start public speculation.  But if Michael keeps going like this and Dylan is only a semi useful 5th starter than it will happen sooner or later, innings limit or not for Michael.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

A majority of starters do not reach 30 starts in a normal season. In 2021, it will be even more rare. All teams are facing this, nearly all will use seven + starters for multiple starts this year.

White Sox starters have 14 combined total seasons with 30 + starts (includes A-AAA, majors and playoffs):

(Latest season accomplished & Innings):

• Lynn Five times (2019 208 IP).
  • Keuchel Four times (2018 205 IP).
  • Lopez Three times (2019 184 IP)
  • Giolito Two times (2018 173 IP).
  • Rodon Never (2016 29 GS 169 IP).
  • Cease Never (2019 29 GS 141 IP).
  • Kopech Never (2017 25 GS 134 IP).
Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Fire 1

45 minutes ago, Lillian said:

He is throwing a 2 seamed fastball now, with the commensurate increased movement. I believe that his 100 mph fastball was a 4 seamer.

The run on it is so great and I feel it moves late too.  I think Collins was even having some trouble with receiving it.  

The man trained like a maniac to be who he could be.  Top of the line hoss.  Nu-lan Ryan

• Love 1

I didn't realize that Kopech has been friends since childhood with Pat Mahomes, part owner of the Royals who said he is on "the wrong team."

I guess we can just about kiss Kopech's ass goodbye after he hits FA if he keeps pitching like this. Let's win one before that happens.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

35 minutes ago, tray said:

I didn't realize that Kopech has been friends since childhood with Pat Mahomes, part owner of the Royals who said he is on "the wrong team."

I guess we can just about kiss Kopech's ass goodbye after he hits FA if he keeps pitching like this. Let's win one before that happens.

Dammit, those big-spending Royals are going to swoop in and snatch another stud from the rest of us, aren’t they?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 2

I’m genuinely confused by all this discussion of Kopech forcing his way into the rotation with good play. I never thought the thing keeping him out of the rotation was concern about his qualification to be there.  Just innings limits.  Those will remain regardless of how much ass he kicks, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

42 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I’m genuinely confused by all this discussion of Kopech forcing his way into the rotation with good play. I never thought the thing keeping him out of the rotation was concern about his qualification to be there.  Just innings limits.  Those will remain regardless of how much ass he kicks, right?

Correct. As awesome as he has pitched, I don't think his performance is that big of a surprise. I still can't see him being a full-time starter for another two months at least (aside from a spot start here and there)

• Fire 1

42 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I'm going to push back on this mostly because I think it actually sells Kopech short.

The innings limit is definitely the main issue, but this is also a guy who hasn't thrown in a game in two years, a guy who only had 15 MLB innings coming into the year, and technically a guy coming back from surgery. Most of us knew he would be great by season's end, but what he is doing right now is a huge surprise. He didn't just come back from a 2 year layoff and pick it up right where he left off -- he came back better.

That is incredible, and I hope it doesn't turn into a "we should have expected this all along" because that narrative belies just how much work and dedication Kopech must have put in over the last two years to achieve this. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Fire 1

23 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

I'm going to push back on this mostly because I think it actually sells Kopech short.

The innings limit is definitely the main issue, but this is also a guy who hasn't thrown in a game in two years, a guy who only had 15 MLB innings coming into the year, and technically a guy coming back from surgery. Most of us knew he would be great by season's end, but what he is doing right now is a huge surprise. He didn't just come back from a 2 year layoff and pick it up right where he left off -- he came back better.

That is incredible, and I hope it doesn't turn into a "we should have expected this all along" because that narrative belies just how much work and dedication Kopech must have put in over the last two years to achieve this. 

I don’t think you’re really pushing back because it’s not inconsistent with what I wrote—the point is just that his performance is irrelevant to whether he’s in the rotation right now.  He can’t be, and it’s because he’d blow through his innings too quickly. Anyway, I don’t disagree that he’s been impressive.

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If the season were to end today, I’m not sure how he’s not our #3 starter behind Giolito & Lynn.  To me, that might be the best 1-2-3 in baseball...we just need to make sure Kopech doesn’t burn out before then.

Agreed. They need to be very smart about limiting his innings during the regular season. You need him available to start in the playoffs, or at minimum a multi inning reliever.

Edited by ron883
  • Fire 2

Stepping back from scrutiny will not be a path to success for many parts of Kopech’s game going forward, since he remains one of the highest-ceiling pitchers in the organization. People understandably want to know what one of the most talented young pitchers in the sport was doing when he elected not to play last season and how long that decision will push back his ascent to the White Sox rotation.

Part of the answer is that by September 2020, he was talking to Teaford about getting back on a mound to start ramping up. He was talked out of going that quickly, but where other pitchers shut down over the offseason and then restart again, Kopech has been slowly building up his work since then so that spring training wouldn’t be a big, taxing jump in activity.

Great article from Fegan on Kopech today. Pulled some info on what he did last year during his opt-out. 

Definitely believe his worries about building his arm back up if he didnt start pitching on a mound until September.

Edited by YoYoIsMyHero
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

18 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Agreed. They need to be very smart about limiting his innings during the regular season. You need him available to start in the playoffs, if possible.

100% agree. I dont want him starting unless it's a DH or spot starts like today. Let him give you 5IP a week out of the pen til July then put him in the rotation.

I wouldnt be surprised with a Dodgers-like 10 day IL stint or two to control his innings tbh

Edited by YoYoIsMyHero
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

10 hours ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

100% agree. I dont want him starting unless it's a DH or spot starts like today. Let him give you 5IP a week out of the pen til July then put him in the rotation.

I wouldnt be surprised with a Dodgers-like 10 day IL stint or two to control his innings tbh

Can you put a player on the IL if they're not actually injured?