4-19 GT: Sox @ Boston (10:10am)

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes. He was up in the count and threw them in the zone and they got destroyed. 

Did you notice that the change was almost straight?  In the past it's had wicked left to right movement.  Maybe that's the difference.  I'll grant you that pitch location was a minor part of the problem today.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Doesn’t that speak to them just sitting on the change?  If they were cheating, then would crush the fastball.  

How do they identify the difference? It's nearly impossible to tell. That's what's suspicious. Gio's change is an 80 grade pitch because hitters can't pick it up......and all of the sudden every Boston hitter can? WTF? 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Did you notice that the change was almost straight?  In the past it's had wicked left to right movement.  Maybe that's the difference.  I'll grant you that pitch location was a minor part of the problem today.

No doubt, but Gio isn't afraid to throw his change in the middle of the plate because hitters have never been able to pick it up.......the bigger question is how Boston did just that through their entire lineup. 

Dalbec fouled off a bunch of them in good locations........how? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Possibly, but he left a lot of them up and over the plate. Much easier to hit even if you don't know it's coming.

Not true. Giolito throws meatball changeups every game and hitters still whiff on it. 

He throws changeups in the heart of the plate with 2 strikes and hitters usually have no chance. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Doesn’t that speak to them just sitting on the change?  If they were cheating, then would crush the fastball.  

You can't really sit on his change... because it looks identical to the fastball until you whiff.  That's my point.  You have to somehow KNOW it's coming, so you can hold off and let it get to you.  The idea with the fastball/change combo is you speed up their eyes and hands looking for the fastball, then when a changeup comes, they're WAY out ahead of it.  

Edited by ChiHawks10

6 minutes ago, almagest said:

From what I've seen he's not usually predictable on when he uses the change up, either. He'll throw it in any count.

He's either tipping his pitches or Cora is up to his old hi-jinks again.

I doubt he was tipping.  Go back and look at the Cleveland hitters and their reactions to the changeup in his game against them.  Like... come on, this is suspicious AF.  No one can ever pick up on Gio's changeup, but somehow today, Boston's entire lineup seemed to figure it out?  They ALL had the patience to sit back and wait on that pitch, and KNOW it's not a fastball, despite it looking identical to his fastball?  I call bullshit.

https://www.mlb.com/video/giolito-s-seven-plus-scoreless

Edited by ChiHawks10
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

After he threw his no hitter last year, Jason asked him about what he did the morning after. Apparently, Lucas isn't a morning guy. I think he just had a bad game, and the early start may have played a role.

Possibly, but that still doesn't explain how one of the most deceptive pitches in all of baseball got identified. 

• Like 1