4-19 GT: Sox @ Boston (10:10am)

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes. He was up in the count and threw them in the zone and they got destroyed. They were watching fastballs high in the zone. How did they tell the difference? Nobody has before. 

If I'm understanding you correctly it would be pretty easy to know when a change is coming if they always come on 0-2 and 1-2 counts. How consistent was that? Why keep throwing them on those counts then? And wasn't Grandal smart enough to pick up on that and throw more sliders/curves?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

If I'm understanding you correctly it would be pretty easy to know when a change is coming if they always come on 0-2 and 1-2 counts. How consistent was that? Why keep throwing them on those counts then? And wasn't Grandal smart enough to pick up on that and throw more sliders/curves?

Because Gio's change is usually so good that it doesn't matter. Hitters see fastball. They just can't pick it up. 

That's why this start is so confusing. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I guess the thing that makes me mad about this is we have Rodon going tomorrow coming off of pitching a nearly perfect game, Cleveland’s offense is scuffling this season and yet we are treating this bullpen with kid gloves. Why? Rodon can go deep tomorrow. All of our starters can go deep. 

It's not the nature of baseball anymore to expect deep starts. I'd guess half the games so far the starters have gone 5 or less. That means a lot of BP usage. Long season after a short season already lost Fry and Cordero , Lynn on the IL . I prefer the kid glove treatment, there's a long way to go.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's not the nature of baseball anymore to expect deep starts. I'd guess half the games so far the starters have gone 5 or less. That means a lot of BP usage. Long season after a short season already lost Fry and Cordero , Lynn on the IL . I prefer the kid glove treatment, there's a long way to go.

In the 15 games prior to Kopech’s planned short start, by my math White Sox starters have thrown 84 1/3 innings, an average of 5 2/3rds per start. In 4 of those games pitched, there were only 8 innings of Sox pitching during road losses, so the total number of innings was only 131, so Sox starters had thrown 64% of the innings pitched this season. Yes the last couple days have taken a toll on that. However, overall that feels fine and I would bet a high percentage compared to other teams, but I haven’t researched further. This whole thing today felt like another excuse for TLR to go recklessly old school/gimmicky on us. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Seemed a tad early for the position player pitching IMO.  6 runs isn't impossible with 6 outs.  Oh well.  Was entertaining at least.  

I think from a pure winning standpoint position player pitching is not used enough. 

With a 6 run deficit in the 8th your win probability in an even match up is about 0.5%.

Such a comeback does happen but basically it means you Win less than 1 in 100 of such games and saving the pen 99 times is probably worth more. 

There are other reasons to not do it like paying people in the stadium and people watching on TV, basically the quality of your product brand, but from a pure winning perspective teams are probably not tanking enough. 

I wonder if a team like the Rays which has no fans anyway will do that one day and radically tank games with big deficits using position players. That would probably cost you 2 wins over the course of a season but it would allow you to use your pen much more aggressively in the remaining games which would create extra wins. 

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

look I get the intention to concede the game and not tax the pen, but why risk injury? These guys don’t know how to field the position and pitching is unnatural to them at this stage of their career. I know it’s “part of the game” or whatever but I don’t think pitching should be something that you just throw a position player into on a whim. Heuer last pitched Friday, why not throw him 1 inning? Bummer threw 1 inning this series, why not throw him? 

That's why you usually use utility infielders and 4th outfielders to pitch and not highly paid stars or young top prospects. 

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Because Gio's change is usually so good that it doesn't matter. Hitters see fastball. They just can't pick it up. 

That's why this start is so confusing. 

Not confusing. They are back to sign stealing.

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think from a pure winning standpoint position player pitching is not used enough. 

With a 6 run deficit in the 8th your win probability in an even match up is about 0.5%.

Such a comeback does happen but basically it means you Win less than 1 in 100 of such games and saving the pen 99 times is probably worth more. 

There are other reasons to not do it like paying people in the stadium and people watching on TV, basically the quality of your product brand, but from a pure winning perspective teams are probably not tanking enough. 

I wonder if a team like the Rays which has no fans anyway will do that one day and radically tank games with big deficits using position players. That would probably cost you 2 wins over the course of a season but it would allow you to use your pen much more aggressively in the remaining games which would create extra wins. 

They already have McKay with that in mind...partially. Saving money, too, over the longer term.  But he got hurt just like Ohtani. 

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

That's why you usually use utility infielders and 4th outfielders to pitch and not highly paid stars or young top prospects. 

Plus Yermin wasn't throwing all out...77~78 isn't close to his throws from the catcher's spot or were he positioned in the outfield.  Now if he got hurt, though, everyone would look like complete dumbasses. 

Just gotta say I hate the familiarity of seeing them get some mojo back, and then just sh*t the bed. They lose 6-2, or some such and it’s a relatively close game save for 1-2 innings of good opposing offense, not a big deal. But to lose in embarrassing fashion and take seemingly more than one step back just feels like crap. They need to string more than 2 wins together and exorcise some bad frickin juju.