4-19 GT: Sox @ Boston (10:10am)

Alright boys, after winning today’s double-header the Sox look to take the series tomorrow.  On the mound for the Sox is Lucas Giolito.  Not much to say about Lucas other than the dude is a total stud, currently ranking 9th amongst all qualified starters with a 1.80 FIP and sitting in the 90th percentile for wxOBA.  If he can get his slider back to its 2020 form, he’ll have a legit shot at the AL Cy Young award.  Regardless, I fully expect him to continue his strong start to the season tomorrow.

For the Red Sox, it will be Nathan Eovaldi making the start.  Eovaldi has a five pitch arsenal, relying heavily on a big fastball that sits around 97 MPH but which doesn’t live up to its potential due to poor spin / carry.  While most of his whiffs come on his various secondary pitches, he’s been very inconsistent with them over the years.  In fact, he actually ditched his slider altogether in 2020 before bringing back a new & improved version for the 2021 season.  This pitch in particular has Nathan off to a hot start, posting a 2.41 FIP and a xwOBA in the 87th percentile.

It will be interesting to see how the Sox fare against this version of Eovaldi.  Only six of our hitters have faced Nathan, but none more than eight times.  Grandal, Abreu, & Eaton have all been successful in small samples and should all be in the lineup tomorrow.  Moncada does have a bomb off Eovaldi in his only plate appearance, but will be on the bench tomorrow for Lamb who is 0-2 in career against Nathan.  No matter who is in the lineup tomorrow, the key for the offense is maintaining discipline and to punish any mistakes he makes.  Eovaldi isn’t going to walk a lot of guys, so we can’t afford to do him any favors and chase shit out of the zone.  If we can avoid that, I think we’ll score enough runs to win tomorrow and take the series.

Let’s fucking go!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

10 am baseball with Gio pitching? Not bad for a Monday 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

10am on Monday baseball gets a big time woof from me. 

We had all the boomers whining on the west coast 9pm start. Now all the zoomers whining 10am too early.

• Haha 6

Just now, DoUEvenShift said:

We had all the boomers whining on the west coast 9pm start. Now all the zoomers whining 10am too early.

To be fair, Truth isn’t actually whining, he’s excited about the start time.  I personally don’t like it, but I got a shitty day ahead of me tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Not sure if you’re referencing me as “whining” but if so read it again bub 

Edited by TheTruth05

1 minute ago, TheTruth05 said:

Not sure if your referencing me as “whining” but if so read it again bub 

Nope just quoted the last 2 posts mentioning the start time.

We had a whole thread about people literally whining about the west coast trip. Just thought it was funny.

Edited by DoUEvenShift

Just now, DoUEvenShift said:

Nope just quoted the last 2 posts mentioning the start time.

We had a whole thread about people literally whining about the west coast trip. Just thought it was funny.

Yea I was definitely whining about the 9pm starts. Put me in the boomer section for those. 10 am starts tho? Sign me up most of the time

6 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Just gonna make for a wildly unproductive work day. Which is rough for a Monday, for me anyways. At least with afternoon games you get half the work day under your belt. Thankfully not gonna be too many 10am weekday games. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright boys, after winning today’s double-header the Sox look to take the series tomorrow.  On the mound for the Sox is Lucas Giolito.  Not much to say about Lucas other than the dude is a total stud, currently ranking 9th amongst all qualified starters with a 1.80 FIP and sitting in the 90th percentile for wxOBA.  If he can get his slider back to its 2020 form, he’ll have a legit shot at the AL Cy Young award.  Regardless, I fully expect him to continue his strong start to the season tomorrow.

For the Red Sox, it will be Nathan Eovaldi making the start.  Eovaldi has a five pitch arsenal, relying heavily on a big fastball that sits around 97 MPH but which doesn’t live up to its potential due to poor spin / carry.  While most of his whiffs come on his various secondary pitches, he’s been very inconsistent with them over the years.  In fact, he actually ditched his slider altogether in 2020 before bringing back a new & improved version for the 2021 season.  This pitch in particular has Nathan off to a hot start, posting a 2.41 FIP and a xwOBA in the 87th percentile.

It will be interesting to see how the Sox fare against this version of Eovaldi.  Only six of our hitters have faced Nathan, but none more than eight times.  Grandal, Abreu, & Eaton have all been successful in small samples and should all be in the lineup tomorrow.  Moncada does have a bomb off Eovaldi in his only plate appearance, but will be on the bench tomorrow for Lamb who is 0-2 in career against Nathan.  No matter who is in the lineup tomorrow, the key for the offense is maintaining discipline and to punish any mistakes he makes.  Eovaldi isn’t going to walk a lot of guys, so we can’t afford to do him any favors and chase shit out of the zone.  If we can avoid that, I think we’ll score enough runs to win tomorrow and take the series.

Let’s fucking go!!!

Let's keep the win steak going, if for no other reason then so we can keep up these super informative starts to the gamethreads.

• Love 3

https://bostonspastime.com/patriotsday.html

Every year, on the third Monday in April, the Red Sox play host to the only morning game on the entire Major League Baseball schedule. The annual 11:05 a.m. game at Fenway Park is part of the festivities of Patriots’ Day, a federally recognized holiday in Massachusetts.

First observed in 1894, the holiday commemorates the battles of Lexington and Concord that were fought on April 19, 1775. These battles started the American Revolutionary War and were made famous because they spawned the midnight ride of Paul Revere.

Despite the hoopla surrounding the game at Fenway Park, the Boston Marathon is the biggest sporting event of the day, as over one million people line the 26.2-mile course that starts in Hopkinton and finishes in Copley Square.

The Boston Marathon - the world's oldest annual marathon at 114 years – has been run on Patriots’ Day since 1897 – four years before the Red Sox became a charter member of the American League.

No marathon today, as it has been pushed back to October. White Sox are 2-2 playing at Boston on Patriots' Day, the last time in 1994. Eventual MVP Frank Thomas homered, but the star of the game was Tim "Rock" Raines, with 3 homers in a 12-1 game won by Wilson Alvarez.

• Like 1

MLB should have two day games everyday.  Would go a long way in increasing international interest.  In-Game wagering will help as well.  Whatever owners give up in local gate, should be eclipsed 10 fold.  

But I'd definitely start the first one at 11:00 est.  9:00 is just too early.  Half of our fanbase is still hungover. 

8 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

MLB should have two day games everyday.  Would go a long way in increasing international interest.  In-Game wagering will help as well.  Whatever owners give up in local gate, should be eclipsed 10 fold.  

But I'd definitely start the first one at 11:00 est.  9:00 is just too early.  Half of our fanbase is still hungover. 

No, MLB needs to end blackout rules.  That's it.   Nothing else 

If anyone ever gets the opportunity to attend this game in the future, I highly recommend it. There's something unnatural but thrilling about being at an 11am game, like drinking a beer in the shower.

The game start time is timed to get out when a bulk of the runners are approaching the finish line. You leave the stadium and walk a few blocks to join the huge crowds cheering everyone on, just a really fun all-around experience.

• Like 3

Robert hitting 3rd, imagine if this where it finally clicks for him? 

Just like I feel in order to maximize our rebuild Cease and Kopech need to be great,  I feel on offense Moncada and Robert is that duo. 

Hopefully today is that start for Robert. 

• Like 1