White Sox Winner!

ron883

Just now, wegner said:

Am I watching on tape delay....damn what was the final score?

Damn it, this FuboTV I have now is messing me up. I thought it was over. It started over from the beginning so I figured it ended.

Edited by ron883

Just now, ron883 said:

Damn it, this FuboTV I have now is messing me up. I thought it was over. It started over from the beginning so I figured it ended.

Either that or your FuboTV can travel through time...I think I saw a Futurama episode like that 😁

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Carlos didn't have his best stuff but he gutted through it, it's too bad the pen couldn't have any clean innings.  Abreu good lord, 115.6!

People in the game thread were talking about how Jose's bat is too slow to hit fastballs after he struck out in the first. Then he hits that tank and a 2nd homer on a inside fastball. It's almost like he was reading the comments.

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

People in the game thread were talking about how Jose's bat is too slow to hit fastballs after he struck out in the first. Then he hits that tank and a 2nd homer on a inside fastball. It's almost like he was reading the comments.

Well they do have those iPads in the dugout...I'm glad Jose is putting it to good motivational use.

Nice win. I just watched the highlights. Three prodigious home runs. Glad to see Jose and Grandal connect. Robert is hitting over .300. Nice. The usual parade of pitchers to the mound. Rodon having a nice start to season. Nice job again, walked several guys. I assume the umps as usual didn't call belt high fastballs strikes. I usually don't blame the pitchers.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, TheTruth05 said:

Yerminator fanatics look away

That's really interesting.  It's the sorta move that not only would I think most of us not be any sort of privy to it's the sort of move you'd expect from the previous manager but not from the "emotionally unavailable" drunk old guy.

It's fascinating to me.  I'm one who ripped the move at the time, but now in context with his comments I'm inclined to trust the old man's move.  If nothing else, TLR is a guy that gets what it means to be a pro ball player.  I'm really not sure our two previous managers had any fucking clue.  Ozzie did, at least for awhile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XplodingScorbord said:

You’d think people would learn here in what, year 8? But nah. 

You should read up on Nassim Taleb's thanksgiving turkey.  Mofo just gets fatter and fatter, in fact it seems like his growth can't ever be stopped -- they just keep feeding him, good times are rolling, and then one fucking day *boom*, poor sod is all chopped up and down to zero pounds.  What this means of course is that inductive reasoning, or more simply, basing the future based on the past, is inherently flawed.  But hey, dunk on us thinkers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

That's really interesting.  It's the sorta move that not only would I think most of us not be any sort of privy to it's the sort of move you'd expect from the previous manager but not from the "emotionally unavailable" drunk old guy.

It's fascinating to me.  I'm one who ripped the move at the time, but now in context with his comments I'm inclined to trust the old man's move.  If nothing else, TLR is a guy that gets what it means to be a pro ball player.  I'm really not sure our two previous managers had any fucking clue.  Ozzie did, at least for awhile.

TLR has been a very mixed bag for me thus far. He’s done some things I really liked and I don’t believe past managers would have done  (I agree with you as well on this move, I like it.) 

He’s also done a few things that really frustrate me as a fan (the Matt Foster debacle, is he calling for Leury to bunt?!?, Grandal sitting what seems like every other day) but there is too much talent on this team for the manager to really get in the way. If these guys perform the way they are supposed to, I think TLR is probably fine for what a manager needs to do. 

• Fire 1

Just now, Tony said:

TLR has been a very mixed bag for me thus far. He’s done some things I really liked and I don’t believe past managers would have done  (I agree with you as well on this move, I like it.) 

He’s also done a few things that really frustrate me as a fan (the Matt Foster debacle, is he calling for Leury to bunt?!?, Grandal sitting what seems like every other day) but there is too much talent on this team for the manager to really get in the way. If these guys perform the way they are supposed to, I think TLR is probably fine for what a manager needs to do. 

Great post and I agree, a total mixed bag but some stuff matters more than others and just keeping guys on an even keel and letting their talent show is going to mean much more than just some tactical mistakes with the bullpen or lineup over the course of the year.  Always appreciate your insights.

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You should read up on Nassim Taleb's thanksgiving turkey.  Mofo just gets fatter and fatter, in fact it seems like his growth can't ever be stopped -- they just keep feeding him, good times are rolling, and then one fucking day *boom*, poor sod is all chopped up and down to zero pounds.  What this means of course is that inductive reasoning, or more simply, basing the future based on the past, is inherently flawed.  But hey, dunk on us thinkers.

Yes, you’re a “thinker” because you predict declining results. Of course Jose will someday not be a successful Major League Baseball player. But that day is not today. Nor is it likely soon, given he was the MVP last year. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

What we saw today may be the reason why. The passed balls and catcher's interference are things TLR may not tolerate. Collins is the better defensive catcher already, surprisingly. 

Edited by ron883

5 minutes ago, XplodingScorbord said:

Yes, you’re a “thinker” because you predict declining results. Of course Jose will someday not be a successful Major League Baseball player. But that day is not today. Nor is it likely soon, given he was the MVP last year. 

You and the Thanksgiving turkey have a lot of faith in the past.  Too much.  Improbable events happen all the time, and we should prepare for them.  Doesn't make them likely, in fact it doesn't even mean they will happen, but it sure as shit doesn't make people that point out the possibility wrong.  I am indeed a thinker my friend, and I'm humbled in my middle age to know that I could be wrong 99 times out of 100 on Jose and still have been right to consider the possibility that he will one day be like the fat and thriving Thanksgiving Turkey in Nassim's allegory turned into a pile of stuffing right as he reached his physical peak.

I sought out Jose's autograph his rookie year because as a thinker, I saw his Cuban stats and his swing and his quiet charm and thought this guy can be a star.  My signed ball is worth maybe 50-75 dollars now, but it means more to me as a symbol of time and the ebb and flow of fortune to ever sell or part with.  I hope one day that ball is worth a million or more, and you know what?  I hope he proves me dead wrong on his decline, not only for the ball's worth, but to prove sometimes time doesn't make a fool of us all.

6 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You and the Thanksgiving turkey have a lot of faith in the past.  Too much.  Improbable events happen all the time, and we should prepare for them.  Doesn't make them likely, in fact it doesn't even mean they will happen, but it sure as shit doesn't make people that point out the possibility wrong.  I am indeed a thinker my friend, and I'm humbled in my middle age to know that I could be wrong 99 times out of 100 on Jose and still have been right to consider the possibility that he will one day be like the fat and thriving Thanksgiving Turkey in Nassim's allegory turned into a pile of stuffing right as he reached his physical peak.

I sought out Jose's autograph his rookie year because as a thinker, I saw his Cuban stats and his swing and his quiet charm and thought this guy can be a star.  My signed ball is worth maybe 50-75 dollars now, but it means more to me as a symbol of time and the ebb and flow of fortune to ever sell or part with.  I hope one day that ball is worth a million or more, and you know what?  I hope he proves me dead wrong on his decline, not only for the ball's worth, but to prove sometimes time doesn't make a fool of us all.

I don’t really see what is impressive about also getting your forecasting wrong consistently by crying decline with every single negative at bat.

Decliners would have missed out on an mvp year which is likely as bad an outcome as any early decline we may have with Abreu on contract.

So anyway if you previously thought Abreus bat had slowed to point he wouldn’t be productive and were wrong you have as much need to sit down and think about why you suck at this than someone who thinks each season he’ll get on the right track.

• Like 2

Nice to see Abreu look like the guy we saw last season.

Robert has been looking awesome lately.  It seems like he has made some adjustments and is having much better at-bats.  I'm sure we'll still see ups and downs, but I think the ups will be more plentiful.

Aside from the home run and arrogant bat drop, Grandal had a bad day.  I wonder if he was having some hand issues, or was it just a bad day?  The two (!) catcher interference incidents make me think his head was not in the game.

Carlos didn't have his best stuff, but he labored and put the team in a position to win.  I'm really liking what I've seen of him so far in 2021.

I didn't understand why Marshall threw 6 pitches and then didn't some back out.  That move almost backfired, as Bummer, Crochet, and Heuer struggled.  Nice to see Hendriks with the 3 pitch save, though.

Finally, I liked the Mercedes move.  If he was getting into his own head, TLR made the right decision.  I just wish that decision hadn't involved putting Leury in the game.