FS: Importance of Scouting with Limited Amateur Bonus Pool Space

Y2Jimmy0

57 minutes ago, bmags said:

I worry this will lead them to lean into their worst habits internationally, but they are still fairly productive with it so it’s hard for me to grade either right now.

Well they're giving Oscar Colas $2.7 million of it already. I'm sure they'll have multiple $400-$600K signings out of DR and Ven 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Well they're giving Oscar Colas $2.7 million of it already. I'm sure they'll have multiple $400-$600K signings out of DR and Ven 

I was sorta hoping this was the start of a new reality for then ;) (smaller draft budgets and competition pushing them for established vets) 

Though I guess with new CBA who knows, I probably shouldn't consider the future.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I was sorta hoping this was the start of a new reality for then ;) (smaller draft budgets and competition pushing them for established vets) 

Though I guess with new CBA who knows, I probably shouldn't consider the future.

I think that an international draft will help them a lot. The scouting isn't the issue. Spending is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think that an international draft will help them a lot. The scouting isn't the issue. Spending is. 

I really hope so. But there is a nagging feeling that if we are back of line for international draft and the surer thing Cuban emigres go earlier, that Paddy would have trouble convincing spend on 16 year olds and we end up using less of our allotted draft budget. 

But, I don't think that's likely. JR on the whole seems to value cost certainty more than anything, and if he has it they are blessed to spend it. But international that hasn't exactly been the case with the current budget allotments.

Though Cespedes was quite a bit of the last class, I would recommend posters check out the Badler Jan 15th review post in futuresox board which has some really interesting infro on some previously underreported guys.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jimmy, 

Enjoyed reading your article. Hopeful the Sox retain the international bonus money and acquire additional pieces beyond Colas, if JR doesn't interfere / request bonus money slots be shipped to increase the bottom line.

Bonus pool space can't be traded during this period so it should be fine 

• Thanks 1

Can we get Ben Badler to answer some FS questions,...particularly the reasons for our seeming reluctance to sign the youngest Latin American prospects?

Risk mitigation?  More projectability closer to 18? 

Morals/ethics/birth certificate manipulation?

Is this philosophy coming from JR or Paddy/front office?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Can we get Ben Badler to answer some FS questions,...particularly the reasons for our seeming reluctance to sign the youngest Latin American prospects?

Risk mitigation?  More projectability closer to 18? 

Morals/ethics/birth certificate manipulation?

Is this philosophy coming from JR or Paddy/front office?

It's partly risk mitigation and partly ethics/morals I believe. Jerry Reinsdorf just fundamentally doesn't believe in giving big bonuses to teenagers. It's a huge problem in this market. Paddy is landing some intriguing low dollar signings and they've cornered the market on advanced Cubans obviously. Marco Paddy obviously knows talent because he recommended Jose Abreu and Luis Robert, signed Fernando Tatis and was in the mix for Vlad Jr and Juan Soto. The money has always been an obstacle. I do think that he prefers to spread the money around but the White Sox just aren't at the table often enough when these guys are 13-14 years old for whatever reason. Something is missing with their strategy in the Dominican Republic. The biggest bonus that they've given to an international teenager (16 year old) is $1.5 million for Micker Adolfo and Franklin Reyes (Franmil's brother). Small market clubs all over the league hand out $3-$5 million bonuses to teenagers ever year. The White Sox will be behind in the marketplace until they change. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's partly risk mitigation and partly ethics/morals I believe. Jerry Reinsdorf just fundamentally doesn't believe in giving big bonuses to teenagers. It's a huge problem in this market. Paddy is landing some intriguing low dollar signings and they've cornered the market on advanced Cubans obviously. Marco Paddy obviously knows talent because he recommended Jose Abreu and Luis Robert, signed Fernando Tatis and was in the mix for Vlad Jr and Juan Soto. The money has always been an obstacle. I do think that he prefers to spread the money around but the White Sox just aren't at the table often enough when these guys are 13-14 years old for whatever reason. Something is missing with their strategy in the Dominican Republic. The biggest bonus that they've given to an international teenager (16 year old) is $1.5 million for Micker Adolfo and Franklin Reyes (Franmil's brother). Small market clubs all over the league hand out $3-$5 million bonuses to teenagers ever year. The White Sox will be behind in the marketplace until they change. 

An owner shouldn’t get into that level of the decision making process. Beyond changes at VP/GM, manager and perhaps a very high priced FA signing (as if), ownership should approve the budget and let qualified FO personnel run the day to day baseball operations. It’s why teams like the North Side team have been successful for their long stretch.

The White Sox have given Marco Paddy a good level of autonomy, so perhaps that is one of the main reasons he remains with this organization, despite the fact restrictions like these must be frustrating at times.