Sox @ Cleveland 4/21 postponed

Kyyle23

4 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

While we are on the topic of double headers, does anyone else not hate playing 7 innings each? It definitely has taken some getting used to and still seems unnatural, but the games seemed more exciting with the potential for starters to actually go deep, and its nice to not have the bullpen get demolished just because of bad weather luck. 

Of course, if we had lost both instead of winning both I might have the opposite opinion lol, and when a pitcher eventually throws a 7 inning no-hitter/perfect game, people are going to riot.

I absolutely hate it. 

16 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

While we are on the topic of double headers, does anyone else not hate playing 7 innings each? It definitely has taken some getting used to and still seems unnatural, but the games seemed more exciting with the potential for starters to actually go deep, and its nice to not have the bullpen get demolished just because of bad weather luck. 

Of course, if we had lost both instead of winning both I might have the opposite opinion lol, and when a pitcher eventually throws a 7 inning no-hitter/perfect game, people are going to riot.

Not a fan, but for this current Sox team, 7 inning games is a blessing for this starting rotation. 

51 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

I understood last year, this year with the COVID outbreaks it appears prudent, but if this becomes a permanent fixture it's bogus.

In terms of your last point, no-hitters/perfect games are not recognized if 9+ innings are not reached. This includes scheduled 7 inning DHs, rain shortened games, or even Andy Hawkins' no-hitter since he did not pitch 9 innings.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I understood last year, this year with the COVID outbreaks it appears prudent, but if this becomes a permanent fixture it's bogus.

In terms of your last point, no-hitters/perfect games are not recognized if 9+ innings are not reached. This includes scheduled 7 inning DHs, rain shortened games, or even Andy Hawkins' no-hitter since he did not pitch 9 innings.

Good point, but also I think that still (especially?) means we will see an uproar.

If you lose the chance at a perfecto because its pouring rain and the game has to be called early, that sucks, but its just bad luck. No one to blame. If you lose it because the MLB changed the rules to truncate a game, suddenly there is someone 'at fault' (or at least at fault enough for people to get really really mad about it).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

Make it a three inning game and the games go really fast

Good point.  Maybe if they load the bases for extra innings...we will rarely see an 11 inning game.  I wonder where all these baseball fans are who are clamoring for these changes to the national pastime?

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

I do too but this isn't necessarily just a Covid change.  Several in national media are promoting this as another  way to speed up games.  

I think we will see more seven inning games. The games are too long.

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

I do too but this isn't necessarily just a Covid change.  Several in national media are promoting this as another  way to speed up games.  

Its terrible.  National media should STFU.  Shortening a game by making it some gimicky little league length game is not the way.  Manfred seems more concerned about the folks that don't give a rats ass about the game as opposed to its true fans.  No one who doesn't love baseball is watching a full length double header anyway.  

I don't think the 7 inning DHs are really there to speed things up.  I think it was put into play last year because they figured there would be a ton of double headers due to covid PPDs, and they wanted to make it easier to get the games in.  Maybe that is still the case this year, but I just think it was Manfred sticking it to the players union for not agreeing to expanded playoffs.  Wielding the power he does have.  With a 6 month season and 162 games, there was absolutely no good reason for 7 inning double headers in 2021.  

2 minutes ago, pcq said:

I think we will see more seven inning games. The games are too long.

Don't watch them then.  Baseball games are long.  So what. Its what makes the grind of a 162 game season so beautiful.  I absolutely love parking my ass on the couch and watching a 4 hour baseball game.  Are there areas where we could see things speed up a bit?  Sure.  I am all for 30 second shot clocks on pitchers.  Replay reviews take WAY WAY WAY WAY too much time and this should be the easiest thing to speed up yet the genius' at mlb can't figure that out. 

Filling the beautiful game of baseball with gimicks to speed it up isn't the answer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Basball games are too long is the dominant narrative, but football games take over 3 hours despite having a net play clock of just 60 minutes. There are hours of dead air. Even when the clock is going, there is nothing happening a good amount of time.

Mlb should stop chasing a crowd that doesn’t care about baseball to begin with.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Don't watch them then.  Baseball games are long.  So what. Its what makes the grind of a 162 game season so beautiful.  I absolutely love parking my ass on the couch and watching a 4 hour baseball game.  Are there areas where we could see things speed up a bit?  Sure.  I am all for 30 second shot clocks on pitchers.  Replay reviews take WAY WAY WAY WAY too much time and this should be the easiest thing to speed up yet the genius' at mlb can't figure that out. 

Filling the beautiful game of baseball with gimicks to speed it up isn't the answer.  

They have gotten longer. That is a big issue and everyone is aware. Every pitch has become an event.

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its terrible.  National media should STFU.  Shortening a game by making it some gimicky little league length game is not the way.  Manfred seems more concerned about the folks that don't give a rats ass about the game as opposed to its true fans.  No one who doesn't love baseball is watching a full length double header anyway.  

I don't think the 7 inning DHs are really there to speed things up.  I think it was put into play last year because they figured there would be a ton of double headers due to covid PPDs, and they wanted to make it easier to get the games in.  Maybe that is still the case this year, but I just think it was Manfred sticking it to the players union for not agreeing to expanded playoffs.  Wielding the power he does have.  With a 6 month season and 162 games, there was absolutely no good reason for 7 inning double headers in 2021.  

Manfred is a clown,,,pitchers hand out coming soon.

3 hours ago, gusguyman said:

No different than a rain shortened one, like Melido Perez pulled off back in the day...