Robert.

reiks12

Thought we could use a Robert thread after the season he has been having. As of now he is absolutely locked in. I have been looking at his advanced stats and here are some interesting ones:

- I always assumed Robert was going opposite field more this year but thats not the case. He has actually been pulling the ball more (42.6%) compared to last year (32.8%).

-His average exit velocity is up this year (90.2 vs 87.9) which is probably due to him hitting the sweet spot more (46% vs 36%). His launch angle is down which would explain only 1 home run, but hes been an extra base hit machine!

-Robert has vastly improved on hitting breaking pitches. Last year he whiffed on 46.3% of breaking balls. 2021 has him at 34.5%. SIX of his extra base hits have come against breaking balls. 

-A similar improvement is happening with fastballs. He cut down on his whiffs by 13%. 

-His contact in the zone has increased by 20%, thats remarkable and supports the above. This is nice to couple with chasing less balls out of the zone (5%)

-Teams are starting to throw him more changeups and other offspeed variants and that will be his next adjustment.  As of now he is whiffing around 47% of the time on offspeed pitches.

-He is murdering anything thats not on a corner, and hes torching balls up and away.

You don't need the advanced stats to see that he has done a great job this year, hes passing the eye test with ease. I just love it when numbers tell us what our eyes have been seeing. I hate to see his offense being wasted in the 7 spot. He needs to be moved up.

I used this site to look at his stats, fun to look through:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/luis-robert-673357?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He’s the most logical replacement for Moncada/jimenez in the batting order (assuming Mercedes falls back to earth and Vaughn doesn’t suddenly go off like Pete Alonso)...but let’s not forget this is still the halfway point of his rookie campaign for statistical purposes.  Three strong performance swings, up/down/up.

That does somewhat limit his stolen base numbers compared to the 2 spot.  

Edited by caulfield12

It took him a while to just quit swinging at everything he sees, then recognizing when breaking pitches were coming (he could hit them if he saw them but he was tending to think he could hit anything). But he looks like he's got it now. Can't wait until he reaches his ceiling, that first month in the majors was just... wow

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lostfan said:

It took him a while to just quit swinging at everything he sees, then recognizing when breaking pitches were coming (he could hit them if he saw them but he was tending to think he could hit anything). But he looks like he's got it now. Can't wait until he reaches his ceiling, that first month in the majors was just... wow

I've said it before - he is the most physically gifted player I have ever seen on the Sox. I legitimately think he can win not just an MVP - but be a guy that wins multiple MVP's.  Odds are I am wrong and it won't happen - but if you told me he de dethroned Trout as the best player in the game at some point in his career - I wouldn't be shocked.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I've said it before - he is the most physically gifted player I have ever seen on the Sox. I legitimately think he can win not just an MVP - but be a guy that wins multiple MVP's.  Odds are I am wrong and it won't happen - but if you told me he de dethroned Trout as the best player in the game at some point in his career - I wouldn't be shocked.  

It sounds ridiculous to say out loud but I think his ceiling as a player really is Trout. He might not ever do that but you can see how he COULD. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I can’t believe how quickly he’s adjusted to the league’s first adjustment to him.  He’s so good.

If last year was a full season, I think he would've adjusted and won rookie of the year.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

If last year was a full season, I think he would've adjusted and won rookie of the year.

Yeah, his slump seemed exaggerated because of the shortened season, but he was already adjusting by the playoffs

14 hours ago, macsandz said:

If the purpose of this thread was to complain it'd be more than twelve pages by now. 

I recall several posters saying Robert had bust potential coming into this season and might need to be sent back to the minors. I laughed then at the thought and still laughing now.

9 hours ago, lostfan said:

It sounds ridiculous to say out loud but I think his ceiling as a player really is Trout. He might not ever do that but you can see how he COULD. 

No question. They have a different path to achieving that overall value though. Trout does it with elite offense and baserunning with average/good defense. Robert can get there with elite defense and baserunning with good/great offense.