The Makings of a Juggernaut?

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Cubs won three divisions and won a World Series during their six year window.

If the Sox fail to at least match this level of accomplishment during Hahn’s “multi championship” window, fans should be deem this entire scheme a complete and utter failure.

And three NLCS appearances to boot... I think our standard will be 2-3 playoff appearances, one ALCS...everything goes exactly right and one World Series.

After 2024, all bets are off with Anderson likely gone.  This year we’re already behind the eight ball with injuries, Rodon and Lynn departing, and Abreu/Grandal/Keuchel/Hendriks aging before our eyes.

So that just leaves three years to get everything accomplished.  More like the Royals’ timeframe.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2021 at 3:49 PM, Jerksticks said:

Correct.  People forget most teams don’t have one of the top players in the league at pretty much every position, 1-26.  This team is beyond stacked and it’s only year 1.  

The bullpen blew some leads and the little kids are whining 😂.  

It's staggering how much you ignore the big picture. 

1 minute ago, RagahRagah said:

It’s almost the anti-Greg stance of relentless albeit forced positivity, and at least VAFAN does the rigorous background research instead of repeating tired old mantras.

But it’s so White Sox to believe we have a dynasty/juggernaut before we’ve actually really accomplished anything (other than 2005.)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s almost the anti-Greg stance of relentless albeit forced positivity, and at least VAFAN does the rigorous background research instead of repeating tired old mantras.

But it’s so White Sox to believe we have a dynasty/juggernaut before we’ve actually really accomplished anything (other than 2005.)

Do you believe the Padres have the makings of a juggernaut? They’ve accomplished even less than the White Sox.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

I get it. No one wants to admit things look bad, bleak or even shaky. But putting on blinders and exhibiting tunnel vision and ignoring so many factors is ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Do you believe the Padres have the makings of a juggernaut? They’ve accomplished even less than the White Sox.

Not necessarily but they are showing the willingness to actually spend some fucking money.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Not with the Dodgers spending $250 million.

The Padres are at least one year away still from peak.

They both made the playoffs last year, although SD advanced before running into the Dodgers’ buzzsaw.

Similar lengths of time between playoff appearances.   I guess if you mean 2005, the White Sox have that over 18-20 teams but the bloom falls off a World Series rose within 4-5 years of winning (2007/09/11).

But overall, more willingness to trade from their minor league talent pool, tons more quality depth, a relaxed team that enjoys playing together more than the Sox under LaRussa and a payroll approximately $40 million higher.

3 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Not necessarily but they are showing the willingness to actually spend some fucking money.

And acquired four Cy Young vote getting pitchers within one calendar year from outside the organization while the best player they surrendered in return was arguably Luis Patino, Mejia or Ty France...

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Not with the Dodgers spending $250 million.

The Padres are at least one year away still from peak.

They both made the playoffs last year, although SD advanced before running into the Dodgers’ buzzsaw.

Similar lengths of time between playoff appearances.   I guess if you mean 2005, the White Sox have that over 18-20 teams but the bloom falls off a World Series rose within 4-5 years of winning (2007/09/11).

But overall, more willingness to trade from their minor league talent pool, tons more quality depth, a relaxed team that enjoys playing together more than the Sox under LaRussa and a payroll approximately $40 million higher.

So your answer is no?

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So your answer is no?

Were the Red Sox a dynasty with the Yankees in the same division the past 17 years?

The Dodgers have 8 divisions in a row but only one title (arguably could be two.)

The Braves for 14 years and only one title?

The Giants with three titles, or Cardinals?   Astros, Royals or Cubs?

That bar is extremely freakin high, like the Bulls and Warriors...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Were the Red Sox a dynasty with the Yankees in the same division the past 17 years?

The Dodgers have 8 divisions in a row but only one title (arguably could be two.)

The Braves for 14 years and only one title?

The Giants with three titles, or Cardinals?   Astros, Royals or Cubs?

That bar is extremely freakin high, like the Bulls and Warriors...

So the Dodgers only have one title but they are insurmountable like the MJ Bulls or recent Warriors?

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

27 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The Phillies have also shown a willingness to spend money.

So what?

In order to put yourself in a good position, you have to spend money. Sox have no depth because no money was spent. The correlations some of you are trying to make are nonsensical.

19 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

So what?

In order to put yourself in a good position, you have to spend money. Sox have no depth because no money was spent. The correlations some of you are trying to make are nonsensical.

Why do you have to spend like the Dodgers or Padres to put yourself in a good position? Not following you.

28 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Why do you have to spend like the Dodgers or Padres to put yourself in a good position? Not following you.

Sure in 2005, we spent just $65 million.

Other teams have managed similar feats.  The Rays last year and sustained success for almost 15 years, Brewers advancing to NLCs, Royals in 2014-15, Indians in 2016, etc.  Yet there is no fWAR/$$$ allocated trophy awarded...at this point.

Do we operate like any of those franchises, and also have one of the best managers?

The point (from earlier) is baseball is lacking in dynasties other than the Yankees of the distant past.

Baseball is too random from year to year...compared to the NBA or Pats in the NFL, Saban at Bama, Auriemma at UConn.

Edited by caulfield12

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure in 2005, we spent just $65 million.

Other teams have managed similar feats.  The Rays last year and sustained success for almost 15 years, Brewers advancing to NLCs, Royals in 2014-15, Indians in 2016, etc.  Yet there is no fWAR/$$$ allocated trophy awarded...at this point.

Do we operate like any of those franchises, and also have one of the best managers?

The point (from earlier) is baseball is lacking in dynasties other than the Yankees of the distant past.

Baseball is too random from year to year...compared to the NBA or Pats in the NFL, Saban at Bama, Auriemma at UConn.

Juggernaut (a great team) does not equal dynasty. The Dodgers are a juggernaut imo but are not a dynasty with just one title over the last three decades.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Juggernaut (a great team) does not equal dynasty. The Dodgers are a juggernaut imo but are not a dynasty with just one title over the last three decades.

So no team qualifies by this definition...perhaps the Red Sox come closest, but not quite.

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So no team qualifies by this definition...perhaps the Red Sox come closest, but not quite.

There won’t be another true dynasty in MLB imo. Too many playoff rounds and too much parity among playoff teams. But back to the thread title, yes, the White Sox can still be a juggernaut (great team ala recent Astros teams) in the coming years imo.

Being a White Sox fan, I don't expect a dynasty. More consistency would be a nice change. Right now I am worried about the club The LaRussa hiring made no sense to me. And now the team's brightest young players are hurt. I am waiting to see how the FO responds to these problems. But right now, I don't have the confidence in the rebuild as I once did. 

17 hours ago, ron883 said:

@greg775 has us slated for 2-3 championships, guaranteed. I'm still feeling good about it.

The Robert injury saddens me, though. I don't like Sox chances of competing this year considering they already played without Timmy for a couple weeks and Eloy is out for the season. I do not think the Sox can win big this season without Robert and Eloy. The lineup has taken a HUGE hit. My guess is if Abreu and Grandal get white-hot that could help, but the Sox lineup is really a fraction of what we all thought it could be now with Robert and Eloy both out.

Edited by greg775

19 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Not sure how simply spending some money somehow means spending money "like the Dodgers" to you.

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Remember a few months ago when posters like us and a few others were questioning the stars and scrubs roster construction and depth issues heading into the year, and being roundly criticized for questioning the wisdom of the “Executive of the Year”?

As a Sox fan, I’m sad my second worst fear (career ending injuries to core players being the worst) came to fruition a month into the season. Would like to think this is a chance to develop Vaughn, see if Engel can play regularly, see if Yermin can catch at least 30-40 games a year, stretch Kopech up here and Crotchet in the minors, and come back strong and healthy next year with 3-4 FA bargains, with a few hopefully panning out and complementing the core.

14 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Not sure how simply spending some money somehow means spending money "like the Dodgers" to you.

You said the Padres were willing to spend money unlike the Sox and implied that meant they have a far better outlook than the Sox. Was that not your point?