The Makings of a Juggernaut?

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You said the Padres were willing to spend money unlike the Sox and implied that meant they have a far better outlook than the Sox. Was that not your point? 

The Padres are absolutely loaded with talent. They spent money. The Sox were loaded with talent before even spending much and they could have solidified themselves, at least solidified depth to that talent. 

Sorry, didn't think that really needed to be explained.

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Remember a few months ago when posters like us and a few others were questioning the stars and scrubs roster construction and depth issues heading into the year, and being roundly criticized for questioning the wisdom of the “Executive of the Year”?

As a Sox fan, I’m sad my second worst fear (career ending injuries to core players being the worst) came to fruition a month into the season. Would like to think this is a chance to develop Vaughn, see if Engel can play regularly, see if Yermin can catch at least 30-40 games a year, stretch Kopech up here and Crotchet in the minors, and come back strong and healthy next year with 3-4 FA bargains, with a few hopefully panning out and complementing the core.

Yeah. I could be a dick and say "I told you so" but frankly even I didn't foresee us being THIS devastated by injuries. But that doesn't excuse how terrible our GM has been with signings and lack of them. We could still make a push for the playoffs but even just getting there almost looks bleak now. Imagine if Eaton gets injured (likely) now. Lord...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

The Padres are absolutely loaded with talent. They spent money. The Sox were loaded with talent before even spending much and they could have solidified themselves, at least solidified depth to that talent. 

Sorry, didn't think that really needed to be explained.

And my point is that just because you spend money doesn’t mean it will help the product on the field. If championships were won based on payroll, the Dodgers and Yankees would be in  the World Series every season. The Sox biggest free agent signing in franchise history looks like a bust.

4 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Yeah. I could be a dick and say "I told you so" but frankly even I didn't foresee us being THIS devastated by injuries. But that doesn't excuse how terrible our GM has been with signings and lack of them. We could still make a push for the playoffs but even just getting there almost looks bleak now. Imagine if Eaton gets injured (likely) now. Lord...

The Sox lost 2/3 of their starting outfield and are still the division favorite. What exactly did you tell us?

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And my point is that just because you spend money doesn’t mean it will help the product on the field. If championships were won based on payroll, the Dodgers and Yankees would be in  the World Series every season. The Sox biggest free agent signing in franchise history looks like a bust.

You know the point I'm trying to make so I'm not sure why you are trying to make an argument out of this.

The Sox lost 2/3 of their starting outfield and are still the division favorite. What exactly did you tell us?

Favorite based on what?

I told people a lot of things that they didn't want to accept that hurt our chances. One was how susceptible we were to injuries due to lack of depth.

Being cheap tends to bite you on the ass.

• Like 1

Just now, RagahRagah said:

You know the point I'm trying to make so I'm not sure why you are trying to make an argument out of this.

If you’re expecting the Sox to spend like the Dodgers, Yankees or any of the top 5 spending teams in MLB, your expectations are way off base. Gripe about Jerry all you want but they aren’t going to run a top 5 payroll, they’re just not. So I’d suggest you realign your expectations in terms of payroll before complaining about it.

1 minute ago, RagahRagah said:

Favorite based on what?

I told people a lot of things that they didn't want to accept that hurt our chances. One was how susceptible we were to injuries due to lack of depth.

Being cheap tends to bite you on the ass.

Current betting odds (per DraftKings), odds to win AL Central in 2021:

sox -155

twins +340

royals +400

If you’re expecting the Sox to spend like the Dodgers, Yankees or any of the top 5 spending teams in MLB, your expectations are way off base. Gripe about Jerry all you want but they aren’t going to run a top 5 payroll, they’re just not. So I’d suggest you realign your expectations in terms of payroll before complaining about it.

Again... I never said spend money like thr Dodgers or Padres.

They spent hardly any money at all and are at about league average. You wouldn't have to be a top 5 spender to add some depth. 

Are you purposely being dense?

Current betting odds (per DraftKings), odds to win AL Central in 2021:

sox -155

twins +340

royals +400

Wonder what data this is based on? 2/3 of our outfield is done. Our backup OF is done for a while. Our hitting, defense and bullpen have all been inconsistent at best and our manager is an old fart who doesn't know what he is doing anymore.

And we are barely a month into the season.

If you wanna be confident, go right ahead. I'm gonna be skeptical like any person with deductive reasoning would be right now. 

8 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Wonder what data this is based on? 2/3 of our outfield is done. Our backup OF is done for a while. Our hitting, defense and bullpen have all been inconsistent at best and our manager is an old fart who doesn't know what he is doing anymore.

And we are barely a month into the season.

If you wanna be confident, go right ahead. I'm gonna be skeptical like any person with deductive reasoning would be right now. 

Have you seen the rest of the division? Don’t think they have problems too?

17 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I have to really give you credit you know what you are talking about, hahn and the rest of the clowns making baseball decisions have done a horrible job they have had since 2016 to build this team, think about it they have no viable outfielder to bring up, this is both unbelievable and unacceptable but guess what that is what being a White Sox is all about.

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Have you seen the rest of the division? Don’t think they have problems too?

We say this every year and yet the Sox never win it. And the FO approaches things the same way.

At some point you have to catch on to things and take the blinders off.

Even if we make the playoffs we aren't likely to make a big showing now.

1 minute ago, whitesoxbrad said:

I have to really give you credit you know what you are talking about, hahn and the rest of the clowns making baseball decisions have done a horrible job they have had since 2016 to build this team, think about it they have no viable outfielder to bring up, this is both unbelievable and unacceptable but guess what that is what being a White Sox is all about.

Frankly anyone not lying to themselves knows all this. Nothing I've saying is anything that required much smarts to understand. 

But it's hard to press on with a negative mindset. I get it.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

That all depends on which versions of Jimenez and Robert return... especially Luis. 

And does Eloy continue to play RF? IMO he needs to DH from here on. He can't afford to play OF anymore. But where does that leave Yermin/Vaughn/Abreu, etc.? 

Eloy doesn't have the arm for right... and yeah, roster wide, we have too many players without a good positional fit.  I'd almost play Yermin in RF with Eloy DHing because of Mercedes' cannon.  Would try to get Yermin in the best physical shape of his life, even if an intern has to stay with him 24 hours a day. 

Edited by caulfield12

11 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

We say this every year and yet the Sox never win it. And the FO approaches things the same way.

At some point you have to catch on to things and take the blinders off.

Even if we make the playoffs we aren't likely to make a big showing now.

Who’s the division favorite this season? And no I haven’t said the Sox are the division favorite in more than a decade so not sure what you’re talking about.

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Who’s the division favorite this season? And no I haven’t said the Sox are the division favorite in more than a decade so not sure what you’re talking about.

Because when the same approach is taken over and over again and the same results occur, it should dawn on you eventually 

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That's completely irrelevant right now, like so-called titles for winning the offseason. 

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That's completely irrelevant right now, like so-called titles for winning the offseason. 

When is winning the division and making the playoffs irrelevant? That’s the entire goal of the regular season after all. Imo the Sox are in a better position today (even with the Robert injury) than any other ALCentral team to win the division. Do you disagree?

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

When is winning the division and making the playoffs irrelevant? That’s the entire goal of the regular season after all. Imo the Sox are in a better position today (even with the Robert injury) than any other ALCentral team to win the division. Do you disagree?

I do, easily. 

Just now, RagahRagah said:

The odds you gave apparently answer it. I'm not sure why you are so determined to ignore the points I am making.

I’m not ignoring them, I’m disagreeing with them. Everyone wanted to spend huge money on George Springer. How much has he helped the Blue Jays so far this season?