That’s a Nicky Two Strikes Winner!!

Chicago White Sox

The scouting report betrays the Rangers. What a terrible pitch by King on 0-2. Great job by Nick to hit it hard.

Hendriks has got to start throwing that slider more to lefties. That's where he's gotten burnt a lot this year. Lefties are just keyed in on the fastball.

• Like 1

Love these types of games, good pitching everything counts.

Wouldn't jump on Hendriks, he had 32 pitches yesterday in 1 2/3 yesterday, this isn't a playoff situation where you need to push it with back to back appearances after 30+ pitches. Same with pushing Rodon over 100 pitches again in Cleveland after the high no-no pitch count. 

The whole infield played well today, helped Keuchel leave scoreless after his best outing. Moncada had another great game, and Madrigal came up huge, Would have been ugly if they blew this one.

A lot of their bullpen arms have been taxed the past two nights, may see Kopech get a 2-3 inning save tomorrow. Hope they can sweep. 

EDIT - Just saw Tony announced Kopech to start tomorrow, bumping Lucas after the disclosed Giolito finger cut. Would like to see them add a pitcher and cut Lamb and his wasted roster spot.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

16 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The scouting report betrays the Rangers. What a terrible pitch by King on 0-2. Great job by Nick to hit it hard.

Hendriks has got to start throwing that slider more to lefties. That's where he's gotten burnt a lot this year. Lefties are just keyed in on the fastball.

I believe his home run yesterday was a slider, can’t recall if it was a lefty or righty hitter

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

I believe his home run yesterday was a slider, can’t recall if it was a lefty or righty hitter

It was a slider to Garcia, he hung it and you can't do that against Garcia. But his 3 other home runs given up have all been to lefties. All fastballs. 

22 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Bro... He looked great tonight.

That pitch was a good 4-6 inches above the zone, check the statcast. 

It was still out over the plate.  Lots of guys can hit that hard.  On our own team Abreu TA Yermin Eloy and probably more can hit that pitch.  He needs to get it in more.  97 when you have it timed really isn't that hard at the MLB level.  It's definitely not 100.

I looked over Hendriks' pitch selection and he's throwing fastballs to lefties 86% of the time. It was 72% last year and 68% in 2019.

His slider usage in general has gone down almost 10%. His curveball also hasn't gotten as many whiffs as it has in the past, but that could just be due to the small sample size so far, as he's mostly fastball/slider. 

Out of the 18 sliders he's thrown, only 6 have been in the zone. Maybe 8 are considered pitches that a hitter can actually hit. A lot of them are waste/wipe out pitches. But most importantly, he's only thrown 3 sliders and 4 curveballs to left handed hitters. He threw 22% sliders to lefties last year and 7% curveballs. At least make the lefties worry about your off-speed pitch. I don't care if you throw 99, eventually guys are going to start cheating on the fastball. Today's game proves just that. There's no way Calhoun gets anywhere close to hitting that ball unless he knows a fastball is coming. 

Unless Liam can no longer throw off-speed pitches for strikes, he should be fine. But I think this issue is very fixable. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I looked over Hendriks' pitch selection and he's throwing fastballs to lefties 86% of the time. It was 72% last year and 68% in 2019.

His slider usage in general has gone down almost 10%. His curveball also hasn't gotten as many whiffs as it has in the past, but that could just be due to the small sample size so far, as he's mostly fastball/slider. 

Out of the 18 sliders he's thrown, only 6 have been in the zone. Maybe 8 are considered pitches that a hitter can actually hit. A lot of them are waste/wipe out pitches. But most importantly, he's only thrown 3 sliders and 4 curveballs to left handed hitters. He threw 22% sliders to lefties last year and 7% curveballs. At least make the lefties worry about your off-speed pitch. I don't care if you throw 99, eventually guys are going to start cheating on the fastball. Today's game proves just that. There's no way Calhoun gets anywhere close to hitting that ball unless he knows a fastball is coming. 

Unless Liam can no longer throw off-speed pitches for strikes, he should be fine. But I think this issue is very fixable. 

This is great stuff 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1