Which pending FA should Sox target at deadline?

caulfield12

Pick one, provide reason/explanation  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which pending FA should the White Sox target to complete their team in June/July?

• Max Scherzer
    • Kris Bryant
    • Michael Conforto
    • Dylan Bundy
    • Kevin Gausman
    • Marcus Stroman
    • Javy Baez
    • Anthony Rizzo
    • Eduardo Rodriguez
    • OTHER

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/04/2021-22-mlb-free-agent-power-rankings-2.html

Slim pickings.

Most of the top possibilities are on contending teams, at least for now.

There's the uncertainty surrounding Eloy's return and effectiveness.

There's also the difficulty of dealing with the Cubs, and the fact that the Northsiders are going to have some really difficult decisions to make on their three big guys (and Contreras as well.)

Scherzer's (0.6 fWAR) the one who really stands out...but God knows what the asking price will/would be.

Bryant's going to have a ton of value too if he continues to demonstrate that 2019 was a fluke...especially with his positional flexibility.

Gausman (0.7 fWAR) seems as good a bet as any, but the Giants so far are surprising contenders.  Unlikely the Mets would deal Syndergaard/Stroman (0.5 fWAR), or the Angels Dylan Bundy, etc.

Freddie Freeman still hasn't signed an extension yet with the Braves, he'll be one to keep an eye on as well.

Matthew Boyd's (DET) name will come up quite frequently as well.

SLIM PICKINGS BELOW...

Charlie Morton SP 38 R R ATL $15,000,000 -  0.6 fWAR
Yusei Kikuchi SP 31     SEA $14,500,000 -  -0.1 fWAR
Alex Cobb SP 34 R R LAA $15,000,000 -  0.4 fWAR
Danny Duffy SP 33 L L KC $15,500,000 -  0.9 fWAR
Tanner Roark SP 35 R R TOR $12,000,000 -  -0.2 fWAR
Corey Kluber SP 36 R R NYY $11,000,000 -  -0.2 fWAR
Drew Smyly SP 33 L L ATL $11,000,000 -  -0.3 fWAR
Carlos Martinez SP 30     STL $17,000,000 -  0.3 fWAR

Garrett Richards SP 34     BOS $10,000,000 -  -0.1 fWAR

Noah Syndergaard SP 29 L R NYM $9,700,000 $29,170,293
Zach Davies SP 29 R R CHC $8,630,000 -  -0.1 fWAR

Dylan Bundy SP 29 S R LAA $8,325,000 -  0.3 fWAR
Eduardo Rodriguez SP 29 L L BOS $8,300,000 -  0.4 fWAR
Robbie Ray SP 30 L L TOR $8,000,000 -  -0.1 fWAR

Jose Quintana SP 33 R L LAA $8,000,000 -   0.2 fWAR

Adam Wainwright SP 40 R R STL $8,000,000 -  0.3 fWAR
Jordan Lyles SP 31 R R TEX $8,000,000 -  0.0 fWAR
Andrew Heaney SP 31 L L LAA $6,750,000 -  0.7 fWAR
Chris Archer SP 33 R R TB $6,500,000 -  0.2 fWAR
Jake Arrieta SP 36     CHC $10,000,000 -  0.5 fWAR
Jon Gray SP 30 R R COL $6,000,000 -*****  0.4 fWAR
Anthony DeSclafani SP 32 R R SF $6,000,000 -  0.4 fWAR
Steven Matz SP 31 R L TOR $5,200,000 -  0.4 fWAR
Yaisel Sierra SP   R R LAD $8,500,000 -
Martin Perez SP 31     BOS $6,000,000 -   0.1 fWAR

Jon Lester SP 38 L L WSH $2,000,000 -
Michael Lorenzen SP 30 R R CIN $4,437,500 -
Vincent Velasquez SP 30 R R PHI $4,000,000 -  -0.1 fWAR
Aaron Sanchez SP 29 R R SF $4,000,000 -   0.4 fWAR
Michael Fiers SP 37 R R OAK $3,500,000 -
Jose Urena SP 30 R R DET $3,250,000 -   0.4 fWAR
Julio Teheran SP 31 R R DET $3,000,000 -   0.0 fWAR
Alex Wood SP 31 R L SF $3,000,000 -   0.3 fWAR
Michael Wacha SP 31 R R TB $3,000,000 -   0.2 fWAR
Matt Moore SP 33 L L PHI $3,000,000 -   -0.3 fWAR

Merrill Kelly SP 33     ARI $5,250,000 -   0.1 fWAR (2022 club option)
Tyler Anderson SP 32 L L PIT $2,500,000 -   0.3 fWAR

Joe Ross SP 29 R R WSH $1,500,000 -  0.0 fWAR
Jerad Eickhoff SP 31 R R NYM $1,250,000 -
Jhoulys Chacin SP 34 R R COL $1,000,000 -  -0.1 fWAR
Tom Milone SP 35 L L TOR $1,000,000 -   0.3 fWAR
Matt Harvey SP 33 R R BAL $1,000,000 -   0.4 fWAR
Shelby Miller SP 31 R R CHC $875,000 -  -0.1 fWAR
Kohl Stewart SP 27 R R CHC $700,000  

Kris Bryant would be a perfect fit on this team.  I just don't see a deal happening like that between the Sox and Cubs, and I would view acquiring Bryant to include re-signing him, which I'm not sure this team would do.  However, the Cubs are most likely going to trade one or more of Rizzo, Bryant, and Baez.  The asking prices for all three will be high.

Every team including the WS can always use a stud pitcher be he starter or reliever.  As for position players...I am happy to play with what I've got thanks.  We have a comradery seldom seen on any sports team IMO.  Leave it alone.

Unless they plan to make a major shakeup, I’m not sure where you can add on the positional side, at least when it comes to the starting lineup.  If things go well, we’ll have Abreu, Eloy, Vaughn, & Mercedes all fighting for three spots.  Everything else is pretty much locked in right now.  I think adding to the bench is a must though, with a versatile left-handed IF being the priority.  Engel returning will help our outfield depth, but we’re paper thin in the infield.

That leaves the pitching staff as the primary source of upgrades.  If everyone stays healthy and they can manage Kopech’s workload, adding to the rotation could become a luxury.  A 1-2-3 of Giolito, Lynn, & Kopech could be pretty insane come October and that leaves Keuchel facing Rodon for the #4 spot.  While adding someone like Scherzer would be awesome, I still think we should be saving our best chips for a controllable starter that can help us from 2022 to 2025 rather than go all in on 2021.  I wouldn’t be opposed to adding another high-end reliever.  The core four of Hendriks, Bummer, Heuer, & Crochet look legit, but there are some question marks after them at the moment.  I think Marshall will be fine, but we may need some insurance in case Foster continues to struggle.

None of that may be sexy, but I’d rather not blow my prospect load on rentals with an uncertain future for our pitching staff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the correct answer to this thread is whomever will cost us only expendable pieces...

I wouldn't trade anything of our limited value for 0.5 of a season. Save the good good for a controllable asset.

So if we can get Max Scherzer for some middle/back prospects? Sure. If not, then pass.

We will probably make some lowkey moves rather than get a stud. I'm ok with that right now.

Although, I'd be interested in Gallo as he would give us an extra year of control. 

If Rodon stays healthy (big if), no need to add pitching, Scherzer or otherwise unless Gio loses his groove. Up the middle depth piece and/or LH hitting corner OF would be nice to have and I wouldn't turn down addition of Bryant is possible but we've already cited the challenges there.

Another interesting comment at MLB Trade Rumors is that Carlos Correa was offered “only” $120 million (similar to Bogaerts deal) from the Astros to extend but envisions himself more as a $240 million guy.

Not with that injury history.

Astros are eventually going to have some tough decisions to make, just like the Cubs.   Both teams with big, bloated payrolls...trying to hold on one more year in suddenly very competitive divisions.

Verlander claims he’s returning late this season, but that would be an amazing feat at his age.  

If the Sox are going to add mid-season, a top of the line SP and upgrade on Leury as the backup IF would be my main asks.  

I would lump both into the luxury category as opposed to needs, though.  I am not trading major pieces for 2 month upgrades.  

• Like 2

I'd like to see a bullpen piece added.  Removing Kopech the last couple of weeks has had a pretty noticeable impact on the pen.  I think we could use a relatively dominant lefty as my confidence in Bummer and Crochet are low.  Maybe they'll both get going by the trade deadline but, being you're asking this question now, LH RP is the direction I'd look to, especially if/when Kopech moves into the rotation permanently.

Adding names like Bryant do not solve the biggest offensive deficiency of this team. They still need more balance in the lineup. If Moncada and Grandal are the only two middle of the order LH bats, they are going to be seriously challenged by good RH pitching. Gallo is an interesting name. He could take Eloy's spot this year and replace Eaton next year. Beyond 2023, I hope that the Sox will have solved that lack of LH hitting. I have no idea what it would take to acquire him, but the Rangers are not going to contend, anytime during Gallo's remaining 2 years. 

Regarding the potential of acquiring another starter: If the Sox manage Kopech's usage, so that he will be available to start in the playoffs, there might be 5 viable candidates for the 3 playoff rotation spots. Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, Rodon and Kopech all have the ability to be effective in the Post Season. Cease may even get there, if he can harness his command. Next year is another question, with both Lynn and Rodon becoming free agents. However, if Crochet ultimately becomes a starter, they may be able to go with a rotation of Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Keuchel and Crochet, next year. The bullpen may become the greater need, at that point, having lost both Crochet and Kopech to the starting rotation. 

Therefore, adding a top of the rotation arm, such as Scherzer, would appear to be less important than adding some middle of the rotation depth, to cover injuries. The Sox staff has plenty of dominant arms, but not much behind them.

Edited by Lillian

30 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Geoff Blum kinda player will probably occur. Maybe BP. No big additions unfortunately. Random thought why is Lamb on this roster? 

Need to see the budget and roster injuries and deficiencies to answer a question like this. I don’t expect a major acquisition, though I believe just like this offseason, Tony will be more persuasive with Jerry than Hahn to spend more than a Jarrod Dyson type acquisition.

In terms of the options above, I’d be shocked if more than one or two of the poll options actually move. The Cubs NYY and Boston are at their limits. The Mets, Dodgers and possibly Anaheim or SD are the only likely teams willing to take on a big contracts between COVID and the CBA, even for a two month stretch. The days of trading top prospects for a rental are by and large gone.

16 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Way too early to tell for two main reasons.

I'm with you and your 2 main reasons whatever they may be. But if I had to make a choice now it would be a solid relief pitcher. The pen is very young and could use a quality veteran and a long man especially if Kopech is going to get some starts that limit his BP usage. He's too good to waste in the long man role.

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm with you and your 2 main reasons whatever they may be. But if I had to make a choice now it would be a solid relief pitcher. The pen is very young and could use a quality veteran and a long man especially if Kopech is going to get some starts that limit his BP usage. He's too good to waste in the long man role.

Too early to tell which teams will make players available and too early to tell our most pressing need.

7 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Too early to tell which teams will make players available and too early to tell our most pressing need.

Exactly which is why I said what I did about the pen and Kopech. Fortunately there are always BP arms available and I think people are in Fantasyland when it comes to guys like Scherzer and Bryant . Pitching always is needed any time. Big names are sexy to talk about but we all know there won't be any major additions just  tweaks to shore things up.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Redo on the FAvmanagerial side...bring in Bochy to right the ship.

No way. Bochy is retired and retired managers never come back.  The guy is 66 years old.   ........................................

• Haha 2