Tigers @ Sox

Kyyle23

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I didn't realize the Tigers have the worst record in baseball.  That's a real shame. You just hate to see it.  

They are god awful with almost nothing to show for 5 years of rebuilding.  They only need about half a dozen position players and maybe they could win 80 games sometime soon.  Their young pitching looks busty.  Mize has gone from a can't miss ace to a guy you hope is a solid 3rd starter.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

They are god awful with almost nothing to show for 5 years of rebuilding.  They only need about half a dozen position players and maybe they could win 80 games sometime soon.  There young pitching looks busty.  Mize has gone from a can't miss ace to a guy you hope is a solid 3rd starter.

Rebuilding while also re-signing miggy to a godawful contract and really not getting much for Verlander 

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Rebuilding while also re-signing miggy to a godawful contract and really not getting much for Verlander 

That was deemed a "bad contract and they won't be able to move him/get anything for him". Amazing how "unmovable contracts" for pitchers always seem movable haha

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They are god awful with almost nothing to show for 5 years of rebuilding.  They only need about half a dozen position players and maybe they could win 80 games sometime soon.  Their young pitching looks busty.  Mize has gone from a can't miss ace to a guy you hope is a solid 3rd starter.

It’s also sad to see what has become of Cabrera, quite similar to Pujols.

Their best pitcher, Boyd, likely gets traded.  Mize started out well but consistently is only at 93-94, touching 95.  Reminds me of all the hype over Andruw Miller before they traded him to the Marlins.

They’re going through a  ton of growing pains, especially on offense. Akil Baddoo has started off well, but he might actually be their most interesting player offensively.  Not sure if any of their current lineup members are even still around in 2-3 years.

Here’s a look at the Tigers’ top prospects:

Spencer Torkelson, 3B/1B (MLB No. 3) 

Casey Mize, RHP (No. 11) 

Riley Greene, OF (No. 21) 

Tarik Skubal, LHP (No. 24) 

Matt Manning, RHP (No. 25)

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/tigers/

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I could be wrong but I always thought Mize profiled as a #3 anyways.. Never loved all the hype.

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I could be wrong but I always thought Mize profiled as a #3 anyways.. Never loved all the hype.

He's had some injuries but maybe not quite an ace that's a high ask for any young pitcher.  Certainly not a guy with peripherals as bad as early Giolito however.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The other day I was curious as to how much longer he is signed with them. So I looked it up. I thought maybe he'd be done after this season or next. He's with them through 2024 lol! He'll be 42 when the contract is up.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

12 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

That was deemed a "bad contract and they won't be able to move him/get anything for him". Amazing how "unmovable contracts" for pitchers always seem movable haha

How much would it have changed the landscape of Chicago baseball if the Cubs had traded for Verlander that year instead of Q?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

The other day I was curious as to how much longer he is signed with them. So I looked it up. I thought maybe he'd be done after this season or next. He's with them through 2024 lol! He'll be 42 when the contract is up.

You have to think at some point in the next year or so Miggy says I'm done and they do a deferral deal or something lmao

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

How much would it have changed the landscape of Chicago baseball if the Cubs had traded for Verlander that year instead of Q?

In the end, they’d probably have at least one more title if they could have gotten through LA or Washington but the same basic problem this year with him on the shelf.

Probably the resources to keep Darvish in the fold.  Starting pitching the biggest issue...just not getting anything from their complementary players outside the core four. 

I'll defend Tigers trying to make it last with a great group as long as possible. They aren't here because of Miggy. They just had horrible talent evals over and over.

But the Royals did too, yet look in much better shape because Dayton Moore can scout and Avila just really seems to suck as GM. Mize was so great in college but I think that's last time a GM goes with a splitty guy so high.

Glad Giolito is gonna have a hot night, should help him warm up faster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Or if the Sox traded for Miggy instead of Detroit. 

Sigh... what could have been...

My favorite article was a review of that trade that showed the sox package would have actually been the best for the Marlins, though obviously at the time the tigers blew everyone away. I feel like that trade def puts us in in 2012, and in 2010 as well, when we cratered after manny ramirez corpse was acquired.